Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 28,470 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Just wondering what the market might be like for a high-end furniture maker in San Antonio. We are going to be relocating to the area. We'd be looking for designers or furniture stores that need custom pieces built, or residential customers that are looking for high-end custom built-in's or furniture. Is there a market? Or is it already saturated?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,129,269 times
The local furniture stores seem to be disappearing in SA over the past 10 years. Even the regional chains are disappearing (Lacks stores closing).

It sounds like the stores in your niche would be at the high end, and I'm not sure if those stores are as affected by the recent upheavals in the retail furniture market.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 28,470 times
Thanks! Not really interested in the chains, but more of the specialty stores that may sell things like antique reproductions or other high-end type furniture. Also, designers that need to have pieces custom made for their clients.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM

39 posts, read 87,580 times
People looking for high-end custom woodwork/furniture are out there. In our experience however,clients typically grossly underestimate what the cost would be to built it. Those people who appreciate (and will pay for) custom real wood furniture are few and far between but not impossible to find.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,432,501 times
There are more folks in SA and the Hill Country than you'd think that spend tons on designer furniture. Some of the boutique shops are doing incredibly well. Not sure how much business you'd need to make it worth the move, but you can also look into servicing Austin.

The one problem that you may run into is that a LOT of the nicer furniture here is made in Mexico and imported right up.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
I think that our market is saturated with traditional, heavy duty, humongous, "antique" reproductions, and overstuffed furnitures. I would rather welcome a high-end store with quality furnitures in contemporary style, NOT made in China.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,000,516 times
I work with a lady whose husband is a custom woodworker (cabinets, etc). Business is rough for him right now.

Another friend works for a cabinet company locally, and they aren't doing well either. Pay cuts, personnel reductions, it's not a pretty picture.

I would make sure to have a back-up plan!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingchic View Post
Hello,
Just wondering what the market might be like for a high-end furniture maker in San Antonio. We are going to be relocating to the area. We'd be looking for designers or furniture stores that need custom pieces built, or residential customers that are looking for high-end custom built-in's or furniture. Is there a market? Or is it already saturated?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!
Are you ready for the truth ? ILL will try to be as nice as i can about this.
San Antonio is not what you think, the level of income is medium to low and there are small pockets of wealth there.
I owned a small door and furniture company in San Antonio for about 14 years and the biggest problem i had was people Paying there bills, and i operated debt free ! from Doctors to Lawyers they have said to in my face i already paid you too much ****ing money already, and i had a Contract with them !!

[mod] name of customer[/mod] burned me for $ 28,000.00 and that was the end payment on his project he started getting funny with his money, I had already recieved 3/4 of my money and wanted him to start paying weekly draws because he was to far behind in his draws, and i had that gut feeling.

But i consider myself Lucky the Sheet rock man was BURNED for $32,000.00 and he didnt get any of his money !!

The Designers in San Antonio have the same Reputation ! they dont Pay there Bills.

There is a BAD Stigma in San Antonio and this is what the Designers and most of the wealthy look at you this way, If you are working in San Antonio you must be CHEAP and have shoddy Quality, and they will buy all their High Dollar work every where but there.

I worked on a project for 2 years and made all the wood casement windows ,double doors,all the special window trim and modified all there french window hardware and they could not find anyone anywhere to do it but I did and it came out Perfect.

I showed my true colors jumping through all the hoops !

The had 4 eyebrow top doors for there garage they needed made , I wanted to bid them, I talked to the job foreman about bidding them and he said no i could not , asked why ? and he explained because of my LAST NAME!! I did not believe him so I went to the owner of the company and he said the same thing !! The owner did not want me to bid any of the high dollar parts of her project Because of my last name ! She had another man do them and he did not make them like a real door he used plywood and they fell apart on the house with in a year and a half. they were about $40,000.00

The problem are there and they are not easy to live with, and if you want to see my website to see my quality go to [mod] link to web site [/mod] and you will get an Eye full .

Respectfully yours, ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Last edited by Bo; 01-06-2011 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Do not name names of people you criticize here. Linking to your web site = advertising and that's not allowed either.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM

165 posts, read 464,143 times
I had a chance to view your website before it was removed. There is some nice work, but you really should have someone spellcheck it and also edit out the several typos. It would make it seem much more professional. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,880,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that our market is saturated with traditional, heavy duty, humongous, "antique" reproductions, and overstuffed furnitures.
It is nice but our poor living room now seems even tinier. It did make me feel like a small kid at first because everything was so huge.

Next time redecorating will go for contemporary, spartan, and spacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio