Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,845,048 times

Advertisements

Well, it all comes down to the definition of, "front" and the law DOES NOT include the words "Visable"
Actually its display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, and like the lawyers are still debating. the language that the DPS used is what is vague. Had they stated clearly what was necessary there would be no discussion. At the front of the vehicle can mean, literally, right front, left front, whatever definition of front one chooses. You will defend the TX Hwy dept, but, their semantics is unclear and vague, which leaves to confusion and misinterpretation. They were very defined when it came to where the "registration" sticker was to be placed, within inches, to say they are going to fine someone because they use the generalized term "front & rear" is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 04:19 PM

135 posts, read 551,476 times
what sinsativ is saying is that y'all ruined your bumpers by drilling into them

Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,014,072 times
Well, if you have the time and money to go to court to fight an unnecessary ticket; then that's your civic right and feel free to exercise it.

But for me, I would rather comply with the law as I see it and avoid the hassle...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,837,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71 View Post
Did you actually drill holes into the bumper, or have the dealer do it?
I ask because I have a car that did not have a bracket/area for a plate. Now that I have 2 plates, I have wondered this same thing. I do not dare do this myself, or even dare have my DH do it!
To the OP, Thank you very much for asking this question.
Jumping in a little late here...but your post reminded me of my move here. I had MD or FL or GA tags (I dunno which!) but they were only rear tags. I DID have predrilled holes in my front bumper for such things, but didn't need 'em. Stupid thing is that when I got my Texas tags and had my mechanic install it, he had to drill new holes to match the bracket screws. So now I have FOUR holes in the front of my car...

I probably would have done it myself, but my mech was doing the inspection and oil change and stuff anyway and said he'd do it no problem.
So I let him!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,014,072 times
Oh, and WalMart does have plastic license plate holders for less than five bucks...I saw them there this evening.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-31-2009, 05:23 PM

330 posts, read 1,374,287 times
I'm the only person I know to have actually gotten a ticket for not having a front plate. I'm 8 for 8 with getting pulled over and receiving a ticket (6 speeding, 1 crossing the center line, 1 not having a front plate)... I think I just have a ticketable face.

I ended up buying a specially made license plate holder for my type of car that mounts underneath the front, so you don't have to drill any holes. It also serves the wonderful purpose of letting me angle the plate downwards and making it barely visible. Some cars (the Pontiac Solstice comes to mind) look terrible with front license plates.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM

181 posts, read 674,976 times
Where did you find this special license plate holder? My husband and I both don't have front license plates. They look horrible! I've actually been pulled over for not having one, but only received a warning. I really don't want to have a front licence plate, but if I ever have to I would like to get the one you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
I'm the only person I know to have actually gotten a ticket for not having a front plate. I'm 8 for 8 with getting pulled over and receiving a ticket (6 speeding, 1 crossing the center line, 1 not having a front plate)... I think I just have a ticketable face.

I ended up buying a specially made license plate holder for my type of car that mounts underneath the front, so you don't have to drill any holes. It also serves the wonderful purpose of letting me angle the plate downwards and making it barely visible. Some cars (the Pontiac Solstice comes to mind) look terrible with front license plates.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:01 AM

21 posts, read 77,882 times
Yes. You DO have to have a front license plate in Texas. It really looks horrible on a sports car!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM

330 posts, read 1,374,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlli View Post
Where did you find this special license plate holder? My husband and I both don't have front license plates. They look horrible! I've actually been pulled over for not having one, but only received a warning. I really don't want to have a front licence plate, but if I ever have to I would like to get the one you're talking about.
It's made specifically for my type of car (Chevy SSR), and I found it on Chevy SSR Forum. I wouldn't be surprised if similar holders were made for other cars though, you'd probably be able to find one through some sort of online club for your specific model.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,438,190 times
My Challenger came with a custom mount too. Just don't want to put it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio