Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,782 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

My husband just got laid off in Massachusetts! hooray! Now were heading down to SA. He will be doing miltary training for three months. And our dream of moving to Texas is becoming a reality in a few months.

I saw a ton of postings on this. Sorry if this is the wrong forum?

We are looking to buy a house at some point bet.80,000 and 120,000. We have a condo up here that we will be renting out until the market is in our favor to sell (if that will ever happen)

I am looking for an area outside of SA that is low property tax, decent house for decent money, great schools, not alot of humidity and no crime. Where could this Utopia be?

I am confused. Happens really easily these days. I looked up Lone Oak and it states that it is 28 minutes from San Antonio and then another website said 3hours away.

Mapquest states 28 minutes. On may it shows it within proximity of SA. Are there two Lone Oaks? one might be a street??

We are military as being in the Air Guard so we will have to have a reasonable commute for when my husband has drills and to make things even more fun I am a cancer patient and if anyone can tell me of a great cancer center this would be helpful.

I look forward to hearing from everyone.
We are so excited! I love the people in Texas!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM

592 posts, read 2,025,262 times
Sorry to hear about the cancer. Area to look into is helotes area. has most of what you need. decent house great schools low crime and close to CTRC a cancer reserch/therapy center. one negative is high prperty tax. but welcome to the state of texas.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,895 times
There are also the Cance Care Centers (of South Texas) - I know one is located in the medical area

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 AM

434 posts, read 1,123,956 times
Sent you a DM

Old 10-30-2009, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,701 times
Hi everyone as I had to get a new account. We are moving down at the end of November. [mod]orphaned[/mod] I will say that we are coming down and are willing to take on as many jobs as we can to start a new life. We are not looking for a Utopia but a place with milder winters and a fresh start. In all reality everyone will have pros and cons of where they live. I thank the other posters for their appropriate responses. And a big wave to my new neighbors!

Last edited by Bo; 10-30-2009 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: The post you were referring to was deleted.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
Aw, don't listen to them, there is Utopia in Texas; but it is a two-hour drive from San Antonio!

Seriously, since your husband is in the Guard you should be covered by TRICARE, correct? If so, there are two big military hospitals in San Antonio, Wilford Hall on Lackland and Brook Army Medical Center (aka BAMC) on Ft Sam Houston. I am not sure what the cancer treatment facilities are at either, but I am sure someone knows.

Also, will your husband be drilling at Lackland? The only Guard unit I know of is the Texas ANG fighter wing (149 FW). Will he be a full-time Guard "bum" or will he be looking for other employment? If the latter, what kind of employment is he looking for?

I am sure you'll love San Antonio, many of us here do. You can find a decent home in your price range, I would recommend the NW side of town as it is a nice area and about a half hour from Lackland. If you need a good realtor who has experience with military folks, let me know as we had one when we PCS'd here from Belgium and he took great care of us!

Oh, and the weather may be a little chilly by the end of November, so don't pack all of your coats away!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio