Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
The crime here is not just for the working poor. I am in a gated "upscale" apartment complex on the NW side (720 sq ft. one-bedroom for $800mo.)
Hello, quick question, what apartment complex do you live at?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 PM

10 posts, read 35,104 times
Default Not to quibble

But isn't San Antonio ranked 7th on the Safest Cities in America list? Here's the link:

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25

I was frankly surprised given some of the comments I've read. Maybe the crime is low-level property crime. That stuff happens - even in Orange County where I'm currently living.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 View Post
There are no areas like that. San Antonio is a hideous place to live. I spent 3 years on the south side off hot wells rd and then 4 years off rittiman rd, north east. drugs, break ins and shootings are plentiful in SA. If that is what you want...move to SA. Texas has lots of great places to live, but SA, Tx does not. Unless you want to live in the Dominion, hence well off. Then, a good area is easy to find anywhere. But, if you are a working-poor or even middle class, you have to deal with idiots in any place. Listen to your kids, if they are happy there, why uproot them.
Maybe you lived in the wrong part of town I live in North Central and love it.
Good schools nice people not too much crime.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:19 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Hi Calimom, We moved here from SoCal not too long ago and I have a young teen as well. My son really misses his friends (Hubby and I miss ours as well!) and we have decided to move back home! Moderator cut: advertising But before you move, you might really want to consider your kids' input. Just from my own experience, what I thought was so important about moving, just isn't that important to me now. I never thought I'd miss CA and the weather and our friends and familiarity and all that as much as I do. But, had we not moved here we would have never known.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 PM

443 posts, read 1,506,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From-SD-2-SA View Post
Hi Cali mom
2) There's trash/litter everywhere; 3) there are no recycling bins in our neighborhood.
There's trash and litter everywhere? where at? just curious cuz I live in North Central too and I observe the opposite...

There's no recycling bin? yes there are in my neighborhood and my other friends' neighborhood...

Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
There's trash and litter everywhere? where at? just curious cuz I live in North Central too and I observe the opposite...

There's no recycling bin? yes there are in my neighborhood and my other friends' neighborhood...
Same here, are we talking about the same San Antonio ???

Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM

40 posts, read 166,488 times
[quote=From-SD-2-SA;474454]Hi Cali mom
... there are so many things that are so annoying I can't list them all. But here are a few items at the top of my list: 1) The roads suck/traffic sucks; 2) There's trash/litter everywhere; 3) there are no recycling bins in our neighborhood. QUOTE]

I moved from Whittier, CA in July 2006, and I too have found likes and dislikes. I concur with the "roads suck/traffic sucks" comment. Coming form SoCal, never thought I'd say that, but it could be all the people in Stone Oak, and of course, the City's bad planning. If you ever had drive from Fontucky to DTLA, you'd know the traffic was bumper-to-bumper, and would take in excess of two hours. Stone Oak traffic seems that bad!

As others have said, get your kids' input; we were fortunate to have a 6 and 9 year old, and even they had shock. Above all, don't over estimate friends, family, and familiarity. If I do move back, and we have seriously contemplated it, it's because we didn't think we would miss Cali/LA as much as we are.

It's very family-oriented here, and IS a great place to raise kids. But at the same time, it depends what your kids like. My kids absolutely loved going to museums, the beach, the snow, Baja; you will not find that here (unless you drive for 3 hours). We made the leap without family or friends here, and are now feeling it.

Good luck with your decision

Old 03-20-2007, 02:51 PM

121 posts, read 437,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post

Did you receive a recycling can in addition to your garbage from Waste management? I didn't and was told they don't do that over here.

BTW, what's up with the waste management system here? There are no automated trucks that lift the cans. It's still done manually. Reminds me of the movie "men at work" with Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez because every pickup day I see a worker sifting through my garbage can.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m95roadster View Post
Did you receive a recycling can in addition to your garbage from Waste management? I didn't and was told they don't do that over here.

BTW, what's up with the waste management system here? There are no automated trucks that lift the cans. It's still done manually. Reminds me of the movie "men at work" with Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez because every pickup day I see a worker sifting through my garbage can.
Where is "over here" Roadster? I don't know many parts of town that don't provide recycling. Maybe it's a good time to start a neighborhood petition. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. Are you outside of the city limits?

RE: doing it "manually" keeps a few more people employed. Not my cup of tea, but ya gotta give them credit for not abusing the unemployment line.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
So Cal....transferring is really hard on kids. I moved 7 times before I was 10 because my dad was in the military. I feel for those that have picked up and tried to find a better life. I'm curious, however, what was it that sold you on the move here? I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you.

Twinkle Toes makes a good point about never knowing unless you try it.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio