Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:25 AM

106 posts, read 450,146 times

Advertisements

Hmm.
According to this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio
/26058-new-highrise-condo-alamo-heights-area.html

they're planning to tear down the Sunset Ridge apartments and put up a condo. Hate to hear that. Usually when I rent an apartment I stay put there for awhile--3-6 years at least.

Does anyone know anything about Mahncke Park as a place to live? I see lots of Craigslist ads for that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,397,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Hello there, I will think of suggestions, but in the meantime, is it really true that there was an entire stretch of bookstores along Broadway?
Hello...."stretch" is hard to define, but there are some gems on Broadway. Mom and Pop stores. Cheevers is awesome and has some rare used books. Also the Antiquarian. The owner of that store has a private collection of books he purchased when Brocks closed. It's opened by appointment only. It's in a building upstairs behind his shop.It's musty and dusty and hot, but it's great fun to dig! I also love the Half Price books on Broadway because you get an "older" mix of used books and even rare ones with the clientelle that brings books there.

The Twig is interesting and eclectic....but mostly newer books.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:12 AM

I've been in the front building at Antiquarian, but not the back one. I used to work at Half-Price Books in Bryan/College Station and one of my co-workers was friends with the people who own Cheever's. But I've not been in there or The Twig either. Although I think a former co-worker of mine at a school and at a children's bookstore in Austin (yes, both of us worked both places) works in the children's department there.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:03 AM

944 posts, read 3,067,938 times
Awesome, thanks for the bookstore suggestions. Sorry to hijack the topic!!

Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM

546 posts, read 3,109,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Beer and pool preside at the Broadway 50/50 and one of the citys best wine lists calls Niles Wine Bar home.
Nile's has been closed for many years. I WISH it was still around, loved that place. There's a cool newish joint in the Quarry though that is kinda remiscient in atmosphere to Niles - 20 Nine Restaurant & Wine Bar. Nice place.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,397,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Nile's has been closed for many years. I WISH it was still around, loved that place. There's a cool newish joint in the Quarry though that is kinda remiscient in atmosphere to Niles - 20 Nine Restaurant & Wine Bar. Nice place.

Thanks googie.....good to hear about this new place. I also miss Niles.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 PM

71 posts, read 292,689 times
I actully live at Sunset Ridge and I love it! The staff is great, I know my neighbors which I love during the summer we usally hang out on the pourch and BBQ. They do allow dogs and cats.Wish the apartments were a little bigger but they aren't a bad size. They are thinking about eventully tearing down the apts and building condos but first they have to get them re-zoned. plus they just redid the apts a few years back. They are easily safe for a few years. Oh Yeah and I love the pool! 10ft deep

Old 03-19-2007, 01:21 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,317,100 times
Some friends of mine lived in Sunset Ridge and loved it too, but for your budget I'd say go with Mahncke Park instead. I never can spell it right, sorry. I am a spelling-cop too, but I'm too lazy to remember that one for some reason.

Anyway, Mahnke park is close to all the AH stuff and close to downtown as well. There are some pockets that are not quite 'revitalized' yet (M park used to be a pretty rough section of town), but it's overall all on the way up and will be much more affordable than AH. The closer to the park itself, the better, but I would also consider many places down closer to Mulberry, Eleanor, etc.

Much of what you'll find there are homes split into 4plexes... there are some apartment complexes too but not many. I have no idea what they rent for now, but a couple of years ago we found an absolutely charming one bedroom with study in a 4plex over in Mahnke park, gorgeous wood floors, high ceilings, lots of molding, came with appliances too, and it was $600 a month.

You should check Craigslist often, and the Current, as well as the classifieds in the Express News.. most of those won't be found via a locater.

There is another pocket (part of Gov't Hill I think??) past M-Park, but before Grayson. I lived on Grayson for a year (near Sam's Burger Joint but on the opposite side of Broadway) or so and the rent was cheap (but there were lots of prostitutes walkin')... I never had any trouble and liked being so close to everything. I paid $400 for a 2 bedroom, but I had a PSYCHO landlady so it was not worth the bargain in that regard.

Good luck. I wholeheartedly recommend Mahnke park. Also, the other side of the highway gets you over into Tobin Hill which has some charming places too, and is not that far from the Broadway shopping or downtown. Since it's close to San Antonio College there are a lot of students but the rents are reasonable. We lived there for 2 years a couple years ago, and prior to that I lived up the road a bit in Alta Vista. I've always loved all of these areas personally.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM

Dear Fierce,

Yes, I'd much rather have an older apartment with architectural character than one of those just-built brand-new things built of particle board and drywall, with granite counters and a spa. Many parts of SA remind me of what LA used to look like in those old noir movies of the 40s.

I check Craigslist daily, and have a few leads I will pursue if I ever land a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio