Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,710 times

Advertisements

So yes 2 subjects here but kinda related.

First the possibility of Burbank High closing its doors, I cant believe no one else has posted anything about this yet. Harlandale was also facing additional closures and of course West Campus was closed. Why are all of these schools in the poorer parts of town? There is no way around the fact that if you have money, i.e. not live on the south, west or east side of town, you get a better education. Dont pooper people need more education so they can learn not to be poor? Of course good teachers are going to work at schools that pay more and none of those are on the , west or east side of town.

Superintendents KLRN forum - did anyone see this? I caught the tail end of it yesterday. They discussed consolidating school districts, talked about how northside school actually do get more money per student and magnite schools as well as talking about how Teen Pregnancy and other factors lead to higher drop out rates and how we should be educating children to these realities of the real world or at least the realities of thier surroundings.

Question - shouldnt some of that Federal Stimulus money that the city is asking for to help fix the Riverwalk or whatever other projects they NEED go to education. How much of that Stimulus money is going to education. Wouldnt it be a great idea to Stimulate the minds of school children by providing them a better education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,175 times
Do you have data to support the notion that poor schools/districts have lesser quality teachers?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
Do you have data to support the notion that poor schools/districts have lesser quality teachers?

My point is that if you can afford to live in a better part of town (Northside)that you have the privledge of getting better education and that isnt fair. All public schools should have the same opportunities. I dont need data to say that any Northside/Northeast school is better than Harlandale, South San, Burbank. Have you ever been to the South or West sides of town?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
My point is that if you can afford to live in a better part of town (Northside)that you have the privledge of getting better education and that isnt fair. All public schools should have the same opportunities. I dont need data to say that any Northside/Northeast school is better than Harlandale, South San, Burbank. Have you ever been to the South or West sides of town?
But at least they all get free lunches .
I do agree and think that all kids should be offered the same quality education no matter where they live. And please don't anyone say anything about how much you pay in taxes

I have heard that the state is threatening to take over NEISD because of ridiculous spending.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:40 PM

338 posts, read 1,230,709 times
As a fellow graduate of Harlandale High, I can say that the high school has come a long way from my days, which were only a mere 8 years ago. A full editing studio with high end computers, digital design classes, as well as A+ certification courses. The school is full of potential. It comes down to parenting, and motivation. Growing up on the south side, I had to hear it from everyone about the school I went to, the birth rates on the rise, especially at Harlandale, and yet never caused me to stop going. Having friends graduate from the so called better schools on the Northside (i.e. O'Connor, Lee, Madison, even Regan) and the way they speak of their schools, doesn't make them stand out much different. Its the staff, and the interaction with that staff that ultimately creates the best learning environment. You can pay a teacher millions of dollars, but that doesn't make them teach any better than someone from a south side campus. Ok i need to stop before the sociologist in me gets out, and I will type all day.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM

431 posts, read 1,204,175 times
Quote:

I know my sister and several friends would be offended by your comment. They are established teachers in non-northside school districts. They would be offended, but not surprised. I have heard stories from every one of them about over-reacting parents who blame every single thing on the "white teacher" who is picking on their child. Even through those moments, they still love the kids and pour their hearts out to them.

You see...they are the kind of teacher you WANT your kids to have, because even though they have to put up with narrow-minded thinking you subscribe to, they still have the desire to teach and help educate the kids in these schools.

Not a single one has left to go teach in the so-called areas that are a "better part of town". The parents should be thanking them for being there as a service to the children, not another person just earning a paycheck.

Additionally, as petrockmedia said "it comes down to parenting and motivation." You are wrong to say it is about money.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
Please don't think that I agreed with the teacher part, only the money part.

It takes a special person to be a teacher. Personally, I could not do it. And yes, most definitely I agree with the parenting part. It is up to the parents to raise the child NOT the teachers. The best education starts at home.

Last edited by TXtrkgrl; 02-19-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
I think the OP may be getting at the fact that teachers in wealthier districts have larger budgets and different expectations to work with.

Those students are provided with updated books, newer software, additional computers and more complete libraries not to mention overall better facilities.

That right there creates a learning environment that is automatically positive as opposed to going to school in an older building, having an inadequate library and not enough computers.

That is a generalization, I am not familiar with the said school.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I think the OP may be getting at the fact that teachers in wealthier districts have larger budgets and different expectations to work with.

Those students are provided with updated books, newer software, additional computers and more complete libraries not to mention overall better facilities.

That right there creates a learning environment that is automatically positive as opposed to going to school in an older building, having an inadequate library and not enough computers.

That is a generalization, I am not familiar with the said school.

Not to mention having a Subway on campus.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:27 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:
Not to mention having a Subway on campus.
Yes, for sure.

Generally, kiddos are able to focus on school and those duties when they know that they have no other worries.

Healthy food that is readily available, college fairs, part time job fairs, a school athletics program that is backed by sponsor dollars.

A wide gap exists between the "haves and have nots". There are certainly untangables that are in the equation and explain the diverse education that children who live in the same city receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio