Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times

Advertisements

When we moved into our house the landscaping in the front and backyards were less than desirable, but we figured we could handle it on our own. Now my husband has gotten so busy with school and I am kind of left on my own to do the job. I think I can get away without hiring "professionals" but I am hoping someone on here can give me any tips, ideas, or point me in the right direction.

Here is a picture of my front yard (please dont judge me y'all! lol)

There is a mini rose bush (planted by previous owner) in the middle, a large rose bush to the far left and an empty space next to it. I want to take out the rose bushes, maybe plant them somewhere else and put something in the middle of the two large bushes but I dont have any idea what? Any suggestions?

I dont even want to post a picture of my backyard because it is truly hideous. The previous owners had a collage of different types of plants and flowers, most of which have either died or were killed by my overzealous husband when he mowed. There are two lemon trees in awkward places (i would like to dig them both up and get rid of them) and at the end of my yard against the fence is nothing but dirt. The previous owner had a dog run (which has been torn down) and remanents of what I guess was a cactus or desert themed garden?? I dont know what to put back there. My father suggested roses since I have 3 rose bushes already. If necessary I can take a picture if anyone truly can lend me any good suggestions. I want to have a nice area and Im just plain tired of it looking like a wreck. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Attached Thumbnails
Landscaping Help-misc-pics-2009-008.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:03 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I would tear all of that out, and plant some nice drought-resistant plants there--lantana and verbena are both lovely, plumbago is a favorite of mine, and then also some dwarf-type of shrubs....I would keep them low so you don't block your windows. Take a trip over to Rainbow Gardens on Bandera Road......sorry, I am not sure of any nurseries on the SW side......but you can go do lots of research there because there is so much info available! I love color, and there are lots of things you can do with the drought-resistant stuff.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Take out those bushes that block the windows. I would put in something that grows low and keep it below the windows. That way it keeps the house visible and keeps the lines horizontal, not vertical. I can't think of names of bushes or hedges, but a trip to the nursery will give you a better idea and see for yourself what you like. Put a flower bed in the bushes or in front of the bushes to add color. It's a cute house and the low bushes will let you see it.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

It's hard to offer much about the landscaping without seeing a map of the yard with dimensions, directions, and what's in the yard today.

Last edited by Bo; 02-28-2009 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: orphaned reference - the post it refers to was deleted

Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 AM

554 posts, read 2,306,463 times
1. Tear out everything that's there.
2. Create an actual planting area - prep the soil, create a border, etc.
3. Measure the planting area. Observe how much sun it gets & at what time of day
4. Take your measurements and sun info to a nursery. Look around at plants and get an idea of what you like. Talk to people at the nursery to see if they have any recommendations. Don't be afraid to get the small, cheaper plants and let them grow and fill in.

Don't go to Lowe's or Home Depot - while they have a good selection, you'll get better advice at a "real" nursery.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 AM

For the backyard I would have to look that info up because I dont know off the top of my head what the dimensions of the backyard are. And I dont have a map lying around. Whats in the yard today, lets see two lemon trees, a rock/cactus garden, and a torn down dog run. Admittedly its a disaster....I think for the backyard I may just have to hire someone. Its become one of those things were I dread looking out the window!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,638 times
Post you backyard pictures as well. Personally, I'd hate to see lemon trees disposed of. Perhaps they can be incorporated into a design? I like the roses suggestion, too. Sounds like dogs tracks are along the back fence. Perhaps a nice bulb garden might work there. LOL - I see I'm not the only one with an overzealous lawnmowing hubby... The flowers your hubby mowed over - were any of them bulbs? You could transplant them elsewhere. How about a vegetable garden? Nice oak tree to shade the house? Do you need space for kids or pets? Will you need a storage shed/dog house for hubby? Let's see what you have to work with!

As for the front yard, make the trip to Rainbow Gardens and check out all they have. You can see everything from the small 1 gal plants to the mature ones. You could put a nice flower garden in the front, too. Drive around your neighborhood or take a stroll and see what others have planted that you like. Try to go drought resistant if you can. Also, SAWS has a rebate plan for xeroscaping your lawn. You can get lots of ideas from their website and perhaps save some $$!

SAWS: Welcome HOME - Watersaver Landscape

Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I agree with keeping the lemon trees, too. They smell so nice!

The only thing I HATE about gardening/yard work over here on the NW side (not sure how the soil is over there) but if you dig 2 or 3 inches here, you hit rock. I mean tons of rocks. That's why I went with container gardening in the back yard. Hopefully, your soil is not so rocky.

Anyway, have fun with it, and do what YOU like...........

ps...I would like to see the backyard, too.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 AM

YIKES! Okay here's the backyard. I took the picture from a bedroom window. This is pretty much the state it was in when we got the house in September 08. Sadly we havent done anything with it other than mowing the dead grass. I havent done any digging so I dont know what the soil is like, though I imagine it may not be as rocky since they managed to plant THREE lemon trees. (I thought there were only two, shows how much time I DONT spend out there.)

I dont have measurements though I am sure I can get my husband to dig up the info or do it for me.

EDIT: I notice in the picture it looks smaller than what it really is. Ill try to get measurements. I know I need to pick up the "fluff" one of my dogs obliterated his bed last nite.
Attached Thumbnails
Landscaping Help-misc-pics-2009.jpg  

Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,638 times
What looks like a pallet (?) on the right could be a place for a shed or even a garden. What is in the planter box? Is it rooted into the ground or moveable?
I could easily see some sort of decking or outdoor living area incorporated into the landscape. Do you like to barbeque or sit outside on a nice evening?
You could use sand and flagstone to create that area. A nice flower or vegie garden out in the back where there's lots of sun and easy access to water, plus a nice view when you are sitting outside. You could put bench seating by the lemon trees, add some nice landscaping around the perimiter, too.

You might try searching online for ideas or check out a book from the library. TXRose had a good idea for taking measurements, etc and going to the nursery.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio