Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would like to know how they managed to send it UPS-AIR from one street to another!
You've heard of a "Hail Mary", right?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
so I guess nobody has experience with those no-line progressive lenses?

I guess I need to get used to being partially blind because the glasses that work are ugly as sin (my wife said she won't be seen out in public with me wearing them) and the nice looking ones make my vision worse.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 PM

The shooter that was killed was a Maj and about to be deployed. He was a psychiatrist! He didn't want to go....is what I'm hearing.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
as far as your other question.. there is speculation and they have released a name that could lead to other speculation, but I'll leave it at that

I have a feeling the driver probably took it and muttered something about their brain power under his breath..

I "heard" about that name, too. So far, nothing.

And the UPS guy should be happy........they're getting paid $$$$$$$$$$ to send something that normally costs $. More green=happy Brown

Old 11-05-2009, 04:59 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
so I guess nobody has experience with those no-line progressive lenses?

I guess I need to get used to being partially blind because the glasses that work are ugly as sin (my wife said she won't be seen out in public with me wearing them) and the nice looking ones make my vision worse.
I got a pair a few years back and never did get use to them but then I'm still having trouble with the regular bifocal's. The main thing I didn't like was your line of vision was much smaller. Nothing to the sides at all.

Good luck and watch your step!!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
The shooter that was killed was a Maj and about to be deployed. He was a psychiatrist! He didn't want to go....is what I'm hearing.
Well, that's one way to get out of it.

I hope your friend is OK....keep us posted.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
yeah, that's why they're going back. I was getting dizzy walking and walking was going to be an issue; driving was going to be impossible. I'm back to the partial blindness I'm used to

Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
yeah, that's why they're going back. I was getting dizzy walking and walking was going to be an issue; driving was going to be impossible. I'm back to the partial blindness I'm used to
Hey, works for me!! Actually I caved and am going next week to get some new glasses.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
RD...some doctors won't put progressive scripts in narrow lenses. I had a pair and I eventually got used to them....but you do a lot of head bobbing. They are really tri-focals. That area in the middle is sort of mid range and if you don't lower your head enough then you're seeing distance through the wrong place. Before you send them back, you need to have them fitted to your line of vision. They really look nice. If they still don't work, then send them back. They are too dang expensive to keep if they aren't working.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:26 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
Quote:
I have a pair of no line progressive trifocals. That means that my distance vision correction is in the upper part, the 'reading' vision is in the lower part and sandwiched in between is the 18" reading vision that I use when I am at the computer. I never did get used to driving with them, nor with walking around. I recall the eye doctor telling me that people have a hard time with them if they are used to moving their eyes and not their heads to see things. She said you have to turn your entire head in order to get used to them. Well, I'm one of those people that move my eyes instead of my head. That means that when I walk and want to look at the ground, I just glance down with my eyes. With progressive glasses, you have to keep your eyes trained in the upper part of the lenses and then make sure you drop your head down so your eyes are looking at the ground. When you are driving and are looking at the road ahead, it's okay, but when you glance down at the speedometer or the side mirror or the radio, etc, you have to drop your head and keep your eyes trained in the middle section of the glasses or perhaps the lower section, depending on what you want to see. I never could get used to it.

However....I had no problem with them if I was sitting down. Reading is a breeze, so I use them for reading. Watching things like movies or even TV at a distance, yep, use them in this situation. Trying to read a recipe? Yep, put on the glasses, read what I need to read, pop glasses back on top of my head. Do the same thing at the grocery store when reading product labels. LOL! If you ever see a gal with a pair of glasses and a pair of sun glasses perched on top of her head wandering around the store, it's me. The 18" reading correction for computer work was great. I hated that computer program we had! I bet they got a cheaper rate on the software if the font was smaller, because that font was small!! And there was no way to increase the font size without messing up the screen. So, when I was at work, I used them religiously. But every time I had to get up and walk, I took them off or popped them on top of my head or left them at my desk. At home, I just increase the font size so I don't need them. Oh, and the larger flat screen monitor is a big help, too

I think the main problem I had was not getting used to moving my head. I had no problem switching between the three degrees of correction. The eye doctor said I would get used to it -- your eyes naturally will gravitate to where they need to be -- and she was right. But the only way I don't get dizzy walking with them on is if I make an extremely conscious effort to look through the upper part and turn my head.

I know one person that has bifocal contacts and has no problem with them. Have you tried them to see if they will work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio