Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Churches shouldn't be about making a profit...they are officially designated not for profit organizations with the IRS. You can take in more than you spend...but that shouldn't be the goal.
Banker, are you being serious? I mean, really? I used to work for a Non-profit organization. If you don't make profit, how do you pay for your employees, give to those who are in need, pay your bills? Of course they want to make profit, churches do a lot of good for a lot of people. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM

338 posts, read 1,230,821 times
That is the church I actually attend. We are under the baptist organization, in order to receive any type of assistance, if needed. However we have been blessed enough to fund ourselves. The webiste was done by my friend, and the praise and worship leader. I play off and on Bass guitar for them as well. Its pretty simple, our idea. Read and talk about the bible, and extend fellowship. I personally prefer house churches. Just my two cents.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Banker, are you being serious? I mean, really? I used to work for a Non-profit organization. If you don't make profit, how do you pay for your employees, give to those who are in need, pay your bills? Of course they want to make profit, churches do a lot of good for a lot of people. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.
Profit is what exists on your income statement after you pay for your employees, pay your bills and meet your charitable obligations...Of course a not for profit organization needs to generate income...but generating income to meet expenses...is entirely different from making a profit.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I think his was a purely rhetorical question anyway, regarding how much profit.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 PM

278 posts, read 693,560 times
when i saw the title, i thought it might be about a church closing down and being converted into a house. that would be great. your idea, not so much.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrockmedia View Post
That is the church I actually attend. We are under the baptist organization, in order to receive any type of assistance, if needed. However we have been blessed enough to fund ourselves. The webiste was done by my friend, and the praise and worship leader. I play off and on Bass guitar for them as well. Its pretty simple, our idea. Read and talk about the bible, and extend fellowship. I personally prefer house churches. Just my two cents.
This was a very informative post!

Strange that the OP has disappeared, however!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
when i saw the title, i thought it might be about a church closing down and being converted into a house. that would be great. your idea, not so much.
As did I, as that is common practive in Europe. I've seen churches that have become restaurants, dance clubs, and even a motorcycle museum!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 13,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Can you explain what a house church is. And how you plant them?
I am not sure I like the term but really it is a term used in the Bible by the Apostle Paul to describe his mission and God's part: " I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase". We are simply trying to get back to simple churches meeting in homes which includes an outreach to the 'homeless' at their campsites and meeting in other peoples' homes who want to help any disciple to grow close to Christ and to one another.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
As did I, as that is common practive in Europe. I've seen churches that have become restaurants, dance clubs, and even a motorcycle museum!

Cheers! M2
The church I grew up in, in Raymond, IL, is now a private home, 100+year old stained glass windows and all.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,544 times
Wow. I did not expect a string to begin a discussion of house churches but I am pleased at some of the comments made on my OP. When I say I am a novice...it is only in the circle of house churches that I was a novice. Since I have been doing this for 2 years now and have two functioning house churches I guess I am just a little less than a novice. My understanding of house churches is not primarily drawn from reading books (although I have read a lot) but is a result of many years of being a missionary overseas, and a trainer of mission teams. I have been led towards a more 'spirit' led and participatory meetings with Christ being the functional head of any church I try to begin. I am always looking for homes of people who simply want to follow Christ and develop their own leadership.(not hierarchical but servant led). I am helping to lead some of the teaching but do not want titles such as pastor but don't mind being described as one of the leaders in the two thriving house churches planted in the last two years. We pursue (when possible) non-church goers so as to pour new wine into fresh wineskins. We have some of both at this point. We are feeling led to begin several new house churches to keep them functional and participatory. I am not sure if the term house church has any value in defining who we are but we do not want to invest in property, even rental, as this might slow down the expansion and we want it to be a church of Jesus which means He is not only the Savior but the Head or Lord. We answer to Him and to one another as His House, His temple, His home. Hope this helps to let you know I am still "out there" trying to lead others not to a new method but to the King. Should someone want to contact me by phone my name is Bob at 210-859-1984. Is that OK to put my phone number out there? Thanks for reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio