Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 PM

214 posts, read 501,977 times

Advertisements

If you could pick one improvement you are wanting to make on the landscape outside your home this summer, what would it be? Water features? Decks? Grass?? (Haha!)

I've been wanting to add an addition to our porch and put a covering over it. If I get some time away from adding to OTHER people's porches, I'm definitely going to do it! You can't beat a cool BBQ pad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:34 AM

759 posts, read 3,689,882 times
Outside fireplace. Not a fire pit, but a fireplace.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 AM

19 posts, read 70,803 times
Fireplace and stone oven in one unit. Of course, then I'd have to put in some more landscaping, a pool, and redo my deck to fit it all together. Which is probably why I'll just try to control my weeds and get my grass back in shape (it took a beating this year).

Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Already got a cool pergola (can take pics if it would be of any help).

For the original question though, sometime much later this year I plan on removing the old plastic edging and installing concrete stained to match the color of the brick. I'll keep the original border locations because they were well-designed to begin with. Since the elevation difference from front to back of the front yard is about 3ft I'll build one terrace, which I'm still debating extending across the length and side of the downhill side of the house (as a small retaining wall) vs. having it flow down the natural slope.

I also have a design for a very modern-style birdbath that I plan on making later this year but I'll test that out in the back yard first.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Already got a cool pergola (can take pics if it would be of any help).
Pics please. I'm always looking for ideas

My project would be a built in bbq area. I already have an outdoor kitchen but I would like to do something with the bbq area.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Outside fireplace. Not a fire pit, but a fireplace.
I would love to do this!!! Have you priced this?

The big plan is to extend our living area from our large covered porch with a large tiered deck and now that the kids are getting bigger the plan is to put in a play area.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Pics please. I'm always looking for ideas

My project would be a built in bbq area. I already have an outdoor kitchen but I would like to do something with the bbq area.
Ok, will do when I get home. They're on my camera at the moment. I'm not sure what it cost to put up - it was built 4 years ago and in bad shape when I moved in. I blasted it and restained with the best wood stain out there.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM

52 posts, read 197,299 times
Last year I added a 20x10 concrete pad to the existing 10x10 pad that came with my house. I had it poured for $1300 (not sure if that is a good deal or not). It took some time but I managed to build a covered patio over the entire thing (all by my lonesome). I had someone quote me like 15K-25K to do it... I am not kidding 15K-25K!!! I ended up doing it all for under $2500 (minus the concrete) myself... Now I just need to hang the fans this weekend... if I can find the time!

I really really really want to put in a pool this year but not sure if its worth it. Would you (anyone) be more inclined to buy a house with a pool in a neighborhood that already has a community pool?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:34 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,746 times
Scuba steve- I would like to see/hear more about your modern day bird bath, we want to put one in our front garden- but I want something different. Can you share more about it?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:05 PM

132 posts, read 286,858 times
x2 on the pergola. Would like to build one with a deck and a hot tub but we'll see. I have a lot of stone siding left over from our exterior, trying to figure out what to do with it. If anyone has suggestions, i'd be all for it! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio