Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

The more information you give about your background, the better we'd be able to help you.
For example, the question about racism... I believe it depends where you are coming from.
If you are Hispanic and come from the Ozarks (like me), you’d think that there is zero racism in San Antonio.

The question about the $1million house.... I don't know... we'll have to ask one of the guys from the San Antonio Spurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
SA does have financial problems. It's always been a relatively poor city, and that still hasn't changed.
Financial problems does not equal economic demographics. The thread starter wasn't asking what the socio-economics of SA are like and what you think about them.

FYI, if you broke it down and took out the very poor in the demographics that pull the numbers down for SA, SA would have virtually the same economic demographics (median household income, per capita) as that over hyped college town you just moved to. WITH THE SAME POPULATION.

It is that lower income population in SA that drags the numbers down for SA and gives that askew view of this city.

Quote:
People love to fight me on this one but it's true...if you doubt what I'm saying is true, please go to Austin and examine the higher-end development (retail, condos, etc).
Yeah, SA doesn't have places like The Shops at La Cantera or North Star or future development like The Town Center at La Cantera or Village at The Rim or Eilan or etc etc etc.

As for condos, boy you must be blind if you don't think there isn't condo development downtown or in SA. It may not have as much as SA is still a suburb happy place.

Quote:
Also, SA has a very inept city goverment that is very much "small town" minded, and to me atleast, really not serious about moving SA out of the dark ages in terms of development and infrastructure.
Examples please. You failed to do so the last time I asked for simple examples of your biased claims. No surprisingly. FYI, it's government.

Quote:
Yes, you will notice that SA has many provincial and outdated qualities, and is not very cosmopolitan. No, these problems don't affect me per se, but yes, you will notice that SA is always behind when it comes to progress (think lightrail and tolls),
LOL at you claiming toll roads are "progress."

But the light rail issue isn't as black and white as you make it. Also, your little ultra "progressive" college burg voted the exact same way as SA did when given the choice and only got their current heavy rail commuter line when they said it wasn't light rail so they could pass it. Again, just stop, you make yourself look like bad.

Quote:
that the roads and highways are underfunded,
The roads aren't under funded and the highways aren't controled by the city of San Antonio or the county of Bexar. The state is in charge of funding. But even though we do go underfunded thanks to Houston and Dallas taking bigger pieces of the pie, our freeway system is still on eof the best.

Quote:
and that many retail/restaurants that are in other cities skip over SA because of the demographics.
For someone so provincial and so cosmopolitan you sure care whether national chains are here or not.

FYI kid, it works the other way as well, SA has retail stores and restaurants other cities in this state don't have, including your overhyped college town.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this, because quite frankly it's the truth and I won't use terms that rhyme with roll or hammer.

But this isn't the first go around for some of these posters on this forum, just their handles. I as well as others can recognized the same posting style as other posters who have come and gone. These names use the same exact words to describe SA, as if thesaurus never did exist. They have the same petty complaints, etc. It's not a coincidence.

P.S.

Funny enough, there always is a second tag team partner that backs up the persons claim. That person also disappears when they other does as well. Hmm..

Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decisions2009 View Post
HI,

I'm trying to get some information on San Antonio. I hear it's a great place to raise kids. However, I heard San Antonio has many crimes and the city has its problems. I also heard that Anaqua Springs, Dominon and Olmos Park are very good areas.
I'm leaning more towards Anaqua Springs and Olmos Park.
If I could get opinions from residents in that area, that would be great. My questions are:

1-How much racism is there in SA. I've heard it's pretty ugly (keep in mind: just what I heard). My husband and I are both of ethnic backgrounds but of different races.

2-Apparently the city of SA has tons of social and financial problems (again, what I heard)...Do those problems affect you and those living in those areas as well, or do problems in specific areas stay in those areas?

3-Is it safe? Will I get robbed, or will my car get keyed or stolen if I drive into the city (I know this is generalized, but I just need a general idea)

4-Is it a bad idea/investment to spend over $1M in a home in SA? even if it's in Anaqua Springs

5-I'm health conscious, and I HEARD most of SA is not big on healthy foods/exercise. If I live in one of those areas, will there be accessible organic foods, running/ bike trails?

6-I hope that by asking these question I have not offended anyone. I'm just trying to be direct and objective. Again, a lot of these assumptions are from what I heard not what I experienced myself.

Thanks again
I do the majority of my business in Anaqua and The Dominion areas, as well as some in the AH and OP areas. I know those areas inside and out.

The race makeup in the Anaqua/Dominion areas are pretty diverse. AH and OP is a little more "white" (for lack of a better term) but I've really not heard of any big issues. We're a pretty diverse city.

In those neighborhoods, the real estate market is on fire. Anaqua's had several sales this year and a ton of customs going up. Dominion as well. AH and OP properties are moving pretty well too. These neighborhoods aren't really too affected by the economy, as those with money, still have money. There are a few foreclosures in Dominion, but seeing as there are a thousand homes in there, a few isn't bad.

The luxury home market hasn't declined in value. As long as you're planning on staying for a few years, you should be fine. I know that my clients that are selling are doing very well.

SA has it's share of health conscious people and areas. If you're interested in that, you'll easily find like minded people. Anaqua has great trails in there and many of the residents walk/jog daily. Dominion is a little less walker friendly on the roads, but they've got a great club (that you can join if you don't live there). AH and OP don't have specific walking areas, but the streets are wonderful to walk on in certain parts.

You'll love those neighborhoods. I'm in most of them daily and love them. Especially Anaqua.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM

27 posts, read 127,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decisions2009 View Post
HI,

I'm trying to get some information on San Antonio. I hear it's a great place to raise kids. However, I heard San Antonio has many crimes and the city has its problems. I also heard that Anaqua Springs, Dominon and Olmos Park are very good areas.
I'm leaning more towards Anaqua Springs and Olmos Park.
If I could get opinions from residents in that area, that would be great. My questions are:

1-How much racism is there in SA. I've heard it's pretty ugly (keep in mind: just what I heard). My husband and I are both of ethnic backgrounds but of different races.

2-Apparently the city of SA has tons of social and financial problems (again, what I heard)...Do those problems affect you and those living in those areas as well, or do problems in specific areas stay in those areas?

3-Is it safe? Will I get robbed, or will my car get keyed or stolen if I drive into the city (I know this is generalized, but I just need a general idea)

4-Is it a bad idea/investment to spend over $1M in a home in SA? even if it's in Anaqua Springs

5-I'm health conscious, and I HEARD most of SA is not big on healthy foods/exercise. If I live in one of those areas, will there be accessible organic foods, running/ bike trails?

6-I hope that by asking these question I have not offended anyone. I'm just trying to be direct and objective. Again, a lot of these assumptions are from what I heard not what I experienced myself.

Thanks again
I am a resident of Olmos Park so here are my two cents

1. I believe SA is one of the more diverse big cities in the country, blatant racism is not an issue.

2. I don't think SA as a whole can be characterized as having social/financial issues, especially the areas you are considering.

3. SA is a relatively safe city, do you really worry about getting robbed when driving into any city?

4. I wouldn't say it is a bad investment in Olmos Park because it is an older, more established area with the best schools and it is its own city that cannot physically grow unlike SA itself. I purchased my home 30 years ago in Olmos Park for $90,000 and it was appraised at over $1 million last year.

5. Central Market and Whole Foods are located near Olmos Park and provide "healthy foods", as can any grocery store, I suppose. I think a health conscious lifestyle can be accomplished in SA or any big city pretty easily.

Keep an open mind and San Antonio can be all you want it to be.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
Quote:
I do have to say though that while Olmos Park is its own municipality and is very exclusive it is not a gated community. Some would say that the part of San Antonio surrounding it could be considered questionable in regards to some of your concers.
I'm going to disagree with this just a little bit. I presume the poster is talking about the neighborhoods on the other side of McCullough from Olmos Park. Once upon a time, this might have been true, but Olmos Park Terrace is turning into a really nice neighborhood with active, concerned homeowners, and the streets closer to San Pedro are merely working class, not particularly dangerous or crime-ridden. And that's just to the west. Olmos Park has Alamo Heights and Lincoln Heights to the north and east, and Monte Vista to the south, and I doubt anybody would term those areas questionable.

Olmos Park also has its own police force who patrol constantly, and has an extremely low crime rate. If you look on the Olmos Park municipal website, I do believe they have all of the crime stats for the past few years.

Also, there's a lot on the market in Olmos Park right now. You wouldn't have to pay a million for something really nice. I do have concerns, though, that you've lumped in Olmos Park with the Dominion and Anaqua Springs, because the latter two have nearly nothing in common with Olmos Park except for the socioeconomic data. Anaqua Springs and the Dominion are gated, master-planned developments in the far northwest. Anaqua is basically new, and the Dominion dates back no later than the mid- to late-80s. Olmos Park is a bedroom city that was developed in the 30s, and doesn't have a gate, but does have its own police, fire, ems, city services, etc. The homes range from the 30s to a few new constructions here and there. It's directly north of downtown, which is about a seven minute drive on either the surface streets or the freeway.

All three areas are really nice, but they're two totally different lifestyle/living environments. Are you more interested in suburban or city living? Do you want a new house or an older house? These are things to think about.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 PM

175 posts, read 303,737 times
Yes, if one MUST live in San Antonio, you need to live Olmos Park. I do think it's the best this city has to offer. Otherwise, I think Austin is much more in tune with the qualities that you mention.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:51 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Yes, if one MUST live in San Antonio, you need to live Olmos Park. I do think it's the best this city has to offer. Otherwise, I think Austin is much more in tune with the qualities that you mention.
What the h.... does Austin have to do with her questions?
She's asking about 3-4 specific neighborhoods in San Antonio,
so her questions have nothing to do with Austin, Dallas or Houston.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 PM

175 posts, read 303,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What the h.... does Austin have to do with her questions?
She's asking about 3-4 specific neighborhoods in San Antonio,
so her questions have nothing to do with Austin, Dallas or Houston.
Under the parameters SHE specified, I shared my opinion that Austin would be a better match for her. She was asking whether or not what she heard about San Antonio was accurate, and I shared my experience that yes, much of what she heard was accurate, and as a result, Austin may be a better fit.

I will continue to give facts and my opinion when asked, and that includes recommending Austin, Dallas, Houston, or wherever the hell else I want.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM

278 posts, read 693,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I do have concerns, though, that you've lumped in Olmos Park with the Dominion and Anaqua Springs, because the latter two have nearly nothing in common with Olmos Park except for the socioeconomic data. Anaqua Springs and the Dominion are gated, master-planned developments in the far northwest. Anaqua is basically new, and the Dominion dates back no later than the mid- to late-80s. Olmos Park is a bedroom city that was developed in the 30s, and doesn't have a gate, but does have its own police, fire, ems, city services, etc. The homes range from the 30s to a few new constructions here and there. It's directly north of downtown, which is about a seven minute drive on either the surface streets or the freeway.

All three areas are really nice, but they're two totally different lifestyle/living environments. Are you more interested in suburban or city living? Do you want a new house or an older house? These are things to think about.
best point so far. people in the dominion would never buy in olmos park and vice versa. theyre totally different. different architecture, different style, different priorities. old money vs new money/no style. heritage vs hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio