Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times

Advertisements

Which is better to visit?
Natural Bridge Caverns or The Cave With No Name? Which is better for the moeny to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Natural Bridge Caverns.

Honestly, I couldn't even find any info on the other one. I've been to Natural Bridge and I've been to Cascade Caverns (near Boerne). All I can say is that I would never go back to Cascade, but I would go to Natural Bridge again in a heartbeat. I hear that they've even added some new areas. It's awesome.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Natural Bridge Caverns.

Honestly, I couldn't even find any info on the other one. I've been to Natural Bridge and I've been to Cascade Caverns (near Boerne). All I can say is that I would never go back to Cascade, but I would go to Natural Bridge again in a heartbeat. I hear that they've even added some new areas. It's awesome.
How much did it cost?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:33 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
If you're going to Natural Bridge Caverns, get there early because the tours fill up quickly. We tried to get in last weekend and got there about 12:30 or so and the next available tour wasn't until 4:00, so we didn't get to see the cave that day. The lady at the info window said the best time to get there is between 9 and 11 to be able to get on a tour. We're going to try it again!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
How interesting you bring this up! To answer your question, Natural Bridge Caverns is by far the favorite. The interesting thing is this cave was not even located and explored until about 30-40 years ago.....and it's spectacular that it's so close. The nice part about the tour is that you have and entrance and and exit, so you don't have to spend your time doubling back and retracing your steps. There is also a natural spring that runs through it that is a wonderful visual for seeing our "aquifer" up close and personal. The water is crystal blue~

I'm sorry I don't know the cost....but they may have a web site or there may be other info online. It's been about 6 years since I've been there.

I'll start a post about another cave in a new thread. Interesting stuff!

BTW - This being "Holy Week", there are a lot of Spring vacationers, so it might be a bit less crowded in a week or so.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM

49 posts, read 271,616 times
I posted my "cave safety rant" in wCat's new cave thread. So this reply will be more of the "fun stuff". I love caves, which is good because I spent nearly five years working as a tour guide at Inner Space Cavern in Georgetown just north of Austin. I have been away from it now for nearly a year (various reasons), but may be going back soon.

There are seven commercial show caves in Texas that offer various guided tours on paved and lit pathways. Three that I know of offer wild cave tours that give you the experience of getting down and dirty with the cave. I wont rate them because I havent been to all seven and even if I had, it would be like comparing apples and oranges. The caves I have personally visited are Natural Bridge Caverns in New Braunfels just north of San Antonio ( six visits since 1966), Cascade Caverns in Boerne ( two visits, one in 1975 and the last in 1980), Longhorn Caverns in Burnet near Marble Falls ( four visits, two in the late 1960s, one in 1980 and the last two years ago) and of course Inner Space ( too many tours to count lol.....and one wild cave tour a year ago). The three caves I have not been to are: Cave Without a Name....rumored to be near Boerne, I have set out a few times to find it and never did. Some of my fellow ISC guides did find it and say the turns on the road are a bit tricky but the cave is worth the trouble. Wonder Cave in San Marcos....again I have not been there so I am relying on my coworkers here....not a lot of pretty formations because of the way the cave itself was formed......it is a fissure of the Balcones Fault Line. Rocks on one side of the room match rocks on the other side as the fault line shifted tens of thousands of years ago to help create the Hill Country. On the surface Wonder World Park has an observation deck so after you view the fault line from underground, you can get a birds eye view. The last of the seven caves is Caverns of Sonora west of San Antonio in the little town of Sonora. I have had serious cavers who have caved all over the world tell me that Sonora is one of the prettiest caves in the world. Unfortunately, last fall their signature butterfly formation was vandalised and a portion of it was stolen.

The three caves that I know offer wild tours are Natural Bridge, Longhorn and of course ISC. Just give them a call and they will be happy to give you details. All the caves have websites ( or did the last time I checked...caution, some sites need updating and may contain info that is no longer valid....when in doubt call or email and ask) so surf around. Wear comfy shoes...closed toe are best (flip flops are a pain if its wet and spiked heels may get you an eyeroll from the tour guide lol ), comfy clothes...remember you will be underground and it can be wet and dirty. Jackets are usually not needed....average temps are 72-75 with high humidity ranging from 90 t0 100%. As mentioned, tours do sell out, especially this time of year. Schools book field trips during the week this time of year which can totally fill tour slots up past lunchtime. Holidays, weekends and most of the summer, tours sell out early and there can be a wait of 2 or even 3 hours...this with tours leaving every 15 minutes.

All the caves are different and have their own history and merits. Do a web search, make some phone calls and choose the one that is right for you and your family. I would be glad to answer questions via PM.

Have fun!!

Last edited by Eily71; 04-04-2007 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: stray words

Old 04-04-2007, 05:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
The main attraction at Natural Bridge is the North Cavern. They list it on their website under general park info. Around 16.95 I believe. It's the guided tour recommended for all ages and has some of the caverns' best attractions.

The "attractions" section of the website only listed everything but the North Cavern. Basically, the more challenging ones.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
Thanks everybody, I appreciate your advice! We more than likely will go to Natural Bridge Caverns.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Good choice, have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio