Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:36 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Obviously you already know black will get hotter, but window tinting helps! Ask your dealer if he'll throw that in the package if it's not already done. You never know how hungry they are!
Window tinting might help keep it cooler inside, but it makes the window glass itself a whole lot hotter.

I can easily burn my hand on the factory window tinted rear window in my Grand Caravan on a sunny day, even at 75 F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times
Driving any color vehicle in Texas won't make a difference because hot is hot and hot is Texas.

Actually, I have heard that story before about the black color but if I liked black, I'd buy it. If a car is sitting in the Texas sun all day, I can assure you it doesn't cool off quickly when the A/C is turned on.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
I've got a black car with a black interior and contrary to what you may think, it's really not that bad...at all. As long as you have an air conditioner, it's really not that bad.
Speak for yourself! Most people hate black cars with black interiors. I had a friend with one, and whenever she would park it in the heat and we would come back to it after a few hours, I would sit down and burn my hand trying to put on the seatbelt. He ended up getting rid of the car, so I would say NO to black interior cars. Unless your skin is made of Teflon.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:53 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
My parents owna black 2005 Envoy. The only thing that gets hot during the summer is the leather seating... which sucks if you have any of your back exposed. Ouch!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Speak for yourself! Most people hate black cars with black interiors. I had a friend with one, and whenever she would park it in the heat and we would come back to it after a few hours, I would sit down and burn my hand trying to put on the seatbelt. He ended up getting rid of the car, so I would say NO to black interior cars. Unless your skin is made of Teflon.
haha. I guess I'm just used to it. Nothing is sharper to me than a black car with black leather.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:03 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
haha. I guess I'm just used to it. Nothing is sharper to me than a black car with black leather.
Style-wise that would be sweet. For me, a convertible Lincoln Continental from the early 60's like that'd be very nice.

But honestly, I would loath a black (especially hard topped) vehicle in the middle of a sunny 85 F plus afternoon.

Why? It has nothing to do with the cabin air temperature, it has to do with what happens if I incidentally brush up against the outside of the car.

I can understand if it get's to 110 F any body colour of car might burn your skin, (I have no experience with that) but in my experience 100 F and sunshine is not hot enough to get burnt by touching a white car.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I always have black cars. The heat doesn't affect the temperature of the car. I have the windws tinted and the A/C blasting all summer.
If the color made a differance, than your black car would be warmer in winter.
Reverse the psychology and buy the black car. Get the windows tinted.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
i have a feeling white pickup trucks sell the most in Texas..i see them all over. i have always had white trucks, esp good with all the caliche roads down here

Old 04-05-2007, 07:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Got to say I have a goldish durango and the other car is blue and they both are hot to touch in summer! Although window tinting did help out a lot on the interior temp.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM

49 posts, read 271,692 times
No matter the color of your car, it will heat up if you are not parked in the shade. Those car shades that fit across the inside of your front window work great to keep the temp down and can keep the steering wheel from becoming too hot to handle. It can make a difference of 10 degrees or more. If you use a shade, when you crank up the a/c, it takes effect quicker. Also those stick up "baby shades" for side windows are super for not only shielding the back seat passengers from the glare of the sun, but keeping it cooler in the backseat. For those new to the area that have children in car seats...when parked in full sun such as the a mall parking lot, take a minute to cover the car seat with an light colored towel or blanket...keeps the seat and buckles cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: