Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

I've been in San Antonio for 6 months and I can't believe how much road rage I've seen.

Besides having to put up with people doing 10 under the speed limit on the left lane (I'm sure they help with stress and road rage) then there's also all the road rage that I see almost everyday.

A few days ago I was gonna open a thread asking "Am I naive for using my blinkers?" because more than 1/2 of the time I use my blinkers to warn people that I'm changing lanes, they act as if I flipped them off.

Today I saw some road rage so f...... bad that I had time to get my cellphone out of its case, open it, click on the "camera" button, select "video", make sure that I'm still in my lane, point at the cars, make sure my camera wasn't shaking, click "record"....
And still... I was able to record some of their road rage.

The video is a little crappy, so here's a description of the video (we were doing about 70MPH):
There's a line of cars on the left lane, the small black car is the last one and has a little bit of space in front of it,
the SUV decides to force his way in front of the black car
the black car tries to pass the SUV on the right lane
the SUV changes lanes to block the black car
the black car drives on the shoulder to pass the SUV
the SUV moves back to the left lane to get back to where it was

YouTube - Road rage on 1604 San Antonio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
If you have the SAPD non-emergency number (207-7273) in your cell phone, you can use it to report things like this. Maybe if the precinct officers aren't busy and are close by, they'll do something about it?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,343 times
It seems to me like people are low on patience these days. All of that to try to save a minute or two- That's crazy video!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times
DoPo, we're on the opposite end of the spectrum. I can honestly say I've never seen road rage on the freeways before, ever.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Didn't YOU just state the other day that you typically pass slow drivers on the right and then cut right in front of them so close that "you're surprised you've never hit someone"?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:28 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Didn't YOU just state the other day that you typically pass slow drivers on the right and then cut right in front of them so close that "you're surprised you've never hit someone"?
I was about to say the same thing.

Recording a video while driving wasn't the safest thing either. Just call SAPD. If that's going on, you can call 911. People acting like idiots on the road are definitely something that you should call 911 on, because they often end killing someone.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:36 AM

361 posts, read 925,021 times
Bah. Road rage has been a part of driving since forever. I have never know what it's like to not see it.

I admit I have come close to road rage. One thing I HATE more than anything when I drive are jack-*sses who drive in other people's blind spots. On several occasions I had near-accidents because I was gonna switch lanes, turned on blinkers to signal a turn, checked the mirrors - all clear, speed up or slow down if necessary to add some distance, waited a few seconds before proceeding to switch lanes to give the dim-witted plenty of time to either speed up or slow down, and when I do, I find myself 5 inches away from hitting another car for which the driver is honking and yelling furiously at me. Makes me want to drag him out of his car and tire iron his head every time. DON'T DRIVE IN PEOPLE'S BLIND SPOTS!!

Plus half the drivers in this city don't know what turn signals are. They're there for a reason, so use them! A couple of years ago, I almost plowed into a Yellow Lamborghini on San Pedro when the stupid owner decided to suddenly slow down and turn without any signaling. The woman driving it actually had the nerve to shoot me the finger, so I made a colorful remark about the quantity of men she must have gone through to get such a car.

Plus there's ALWAYS that one idiot who sees a flash flood, sees a street closed off, sees the street covered in rushing water, and decides "my Honda can take it" only to ultimately contribute to thinning downt he shallow end of the Darwinian gene pool.

ugh. SA drivers are terrible.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:47 AM

190 posts, read 524,278 times
I really hate the drivers who tailgate you ON your bumper... all while there's 10 cars trying to enter 1604, and you have NO control on how fast the drivers ahead of you are going. ::ugh::

Old 05-09-2009, 07:16 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
My father invented road rage....back in the 70's. Seriously, I can't believe we made it out alive. However, there have been many "improvements" since the 70's. I guess the cars are faster, with better response, so the fear factor is quadrupled.....

It's the second dumbest thing you can do, after driving drunk.

It's why I do neither, and it just makes me sick. SA does seem to have an epidemic of both problems. They need more (in quantity, IMO) than the few "stealth" cars they have roaming out there to bust the road-ragers, though. Seems like the one that hovers on 1604 near 151 is just there to bust the speeders.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes I did,
I was exaggerating, I pass them on the right lane (since they are blocking the passing lane) and since they are blocking the whole highway I don't care about giving much space when I change to the left lane.
Any other time, I would wait to see them in my mirror before changing lanes.

There's a huge difference between that and the road rage on the video that I showed you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio