Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
awesome! two lanes going straight in each direction?? thanks for the info, THM
Yes....that is music to my eyes? ears? whatever...it's good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Here's one that has literally bothered me for years.

When you are traveling South on I-35 from Thousand Oaks/Judson/Topperwein etc...and you exit to the right to get on Loop 410 headed west, there is an exit just past that for "368-Alamo Heights". 368 is actually "Austin Hwy"....and no one calls it 368. My guess, most people don't go that way to get to Alamo Heights anyway. It's much faster to stay on Loop 410 and avoid all the stop lights on Austin Hwy. Exit Nacogdoches South and a it's a short distance to AH. This probably goes waaaaay back to some early signage....but I've seen some people really swerving at that exit (which has a very short approach). If drivers knew it became Austin Hwy, it would be less confusing. But then that's coming from someone that has passed that exit many times. What do I know about traveling anywhere.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
With the new interchange now complete at I-10 and 410 at Crossroads Mall....there are some major probs with the signage. Recently, coming off Fred Rd going East to 410 from the frontage road, we almost got sideswiped by a car that almost missed the 410 merge lane. The signs for 410 and Cherry Ridge are so high up that the overpass blocks them. You can't see which way to go until you are practically on the exit. (not sure I'm making sense).
Don't know if you've been by this location lately, but they've installed (or started installing) ground-mounted signs reading "{Loop 410 shield} LEFT LANE".

Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I am always confused with the Loop 410 exit to Bandera Rd. It should point that one is Bandera West ( the new exit), and the another further down ( going west ) is Bandera East, or something.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
There's at least 3 places around the city that 2 lanes become 1 and for some reason it says "Left lane ends" when it should be the other lane.

One of them is the "bridge" that goes over San Pedro on the outer road on the North side of 410 when you drive towards Blanco.

Add to that, all the different places where the lane ends, and there's no sign at all.
One of them is right in front of Crowne Plaza hotel by 410 & Nacogdoches.
There's 3 lanes and all of a sudden there's only 2.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am always confused with the Loop 410 exit to Bandera Rd. It should point that one is Bandera West ( the new exit), and the another further down ( going west ) is Bandera East, or something.
I've tried to contemplate a better way to sign that myself and haven't come-up with one, other than maybe "Bandera Rd. next 2 exits". But the way it's signed now, if you're looking for "Bandera Rd", the exit marked as such will get you there the "usual" way, which IMO is more helpful to drivers who aren't sure where they're going than putting them on a ramp that takes them in the opposite direction or further than they may have wanted to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's at least 3 places around the city that 2 lanes become 1 and for some reason it says "Left lane ends" when it should be the other lane.
Yep, I agree. I think sometimes, though, it's really just a glass-is-half-full/half-empty proposition.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
TexHwyMan - This isn't quite a signage issue, but do you know when they're going to correct the lane issues around 281/Jones Maltsberger as you head east into the Quarry? Why the heck is there only one lane, in either direction, to that goes straight under 281?? They're finally putting some money into this area but they still haven't designed the roads properly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
The problem is that it's a railroad crossing. Working on railroad crossings requires dealing with the railroad and their contractors, so it essentially becomes its own little project.

The city has had plans for this since late 2007. The good news is that they're getting stimulus funding for it. Work is scheduled to begin later this summer or early in the fall.
Funding has come through for this and work is scheduled to start in February and be completed around September.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
TexHwyMan - This isn't quite a signage issue, but do you know when they're going to correct the lane issues around 281/Jones Maltsberger as you head east into the Quarry? Why the heck is there only one lane, in either direction, to that goes straight under 281?? They're finally putting some money into this area but they still haven't designed the roads properly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Funding has come through for this and work is scheduled to start in February and be completed around September.
Good news-- all the lanes on Jones-Maltsberger at the RR crossing by the Quarry are now open. Finish-up work there should be done by Thanksgiving.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:13 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Is paint so expensive in San Antonio that they can't paint an extra arrow on the street far enough back so people can see whether that lane is turning or not.

I've seen many places around the city that you don't know that your lane is only for turning left until you are almost turning.
All it takes, is to paint an extra arrow 100-200 yards farther back.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Is paint so expensive in San Antonio that they can't paint an extra arrow on the street far enough back so people can see whether that lane is turning or not.

I've seen many places around the city that you don't know that your lane is only for turning left until you are almost turning.
All it takes, is to paint an extra arrow 100-200 yards farther back.
Wouldn't matter, you could paint them DOT orange and make then ten feet tall, and drivers in SA still wouldn't notice!

People drive around here oblivious to road signs, arrows on the road, other vehicles, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio