Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 AM

732 posts, read 3,552,587 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to San Antonio in late may/ early June and need to find a rental home, sight-unseen (we are moving from the Seattle, WA area). We know that the North and Northwest areas are desireable but we're wondering if Rustic Oaks is included in that category - it seems a bit more west than northwest.... Anyway, we are looking at a rental home on Mallow Grove and were wondering what the neighborhood might be like. We are looking for a family-friendly community that is relatively safe. We want to rent for a year before buying/building a home so this would only be a temporary thing.

What subdivisions/neighborhoods would best suit a small family? We're looking to spend around 1000/mo on rent - if that helps.

Any advice you could give would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Rustic Oaks is at the corner of Grosenbacher and Potranco. The homes are relatively new (about 2-3 years old). Crime is not a big factor in that area, except for possibly property crimes to cars left out with valuables inside or garage doors left open. You might also look at Westcreek next door as they have two recreation areas (and two pools). You can find homes in your range in the Vistas of Westcreek and the homes are also Centex, but a step up from the Centex homes in Rustic Oaks. Go MYSA.com to check for rentals in the 78253 zip code.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:30 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
We moved from Seattle last spring to the Villages of Westcreek. You would be wise to rent first if you are coming site unseen. We got lucky and found a relatively new house (9yrs old) with trees and overall we have been very happy with our house and neighborhood. Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-10-2007, 02:47 PM

48 posts, read 128,625 times
I live in Rustic Oaks and I can't wait to move. But we chose to build in this area when we thought it was going to be nice. Well to many inplants from another State (not going to say which one) but to me has really brought down the value in my area. I was told from our HOA meeting that our area the price for selling our houses have decreased by $2000! But since your renting I guess it wouldn't be so bad. We have a beautiful house with over 2200 sq feet for 1100 a month which we will be putting on the market in a year or so.. As with Rustic Oaks when we decided to build they lied to us about being able to go to Westcreeks swimming pool and recreation areas. So If you could afford to find a house in Westcreek and have the amenties go for it. Good Luck and welcome to San Antonio!

Diane

Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 AM

173 posts, read 617,206 times
I sent you a private message about a rental in Westcreek.

I would steer clear of Rustic Oaks, Caracol Creek, and Caracol Heights. They donot have the same ammenities as Westcreek. I also don't know how decent their HOA's are but WC has a very strong HOA.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 PM

144 posts, read 686,778 times
Centex lied to the ppl moving into Rustic by saying they where part of the HOa and then they lied to the Vistas saying thet Rustic would not be connected. I still can't believe Centex built right next to Wynwood its like night and day.Nothing againt the ppl in rustic its the class of house (1 car garages with no brick) that i am talking about.

You can find a nice home in Westcreek for about $1000 for rent. Westcreek is the way to go , Strong HOA, nice park and recreation centers.

Lock

Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed1 View Post
...I still can't believe Centex built right next to Wynwood its like night and day.Nothing against the ppl in rustic its the class of house (1 car garages with no brick) that i am talking about.

You can find a nice home in Westcreek for about $1000 for rent. Westcreek is the way to go , Strong HOA, nice park and recreation centers.

Lock
That is one of the main reasons that the Westcreek HOA would not allow Rustic Oaks to be part of them. That was strange as there are MANY Centex homes in Westcreek.
Also, who is responsible for the medians on Grosenbacher in front of the two schools? That is a big eyesore with all the tall weeds and no grass or anything.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:20 AM

173 posts, read 617,206 times
Back in the mid 90's we lived in the Northwest Crossing area and saw how some of the wooden houses were slowly deteriorating with fading paint and warped boards. If you drive through that area now you can see just how crappy a non-brick home can look when it has not been properly maintained!

So, when I drive past Rustic Oaks and look at all those wood houses I can't help but think that they may look nice now but what will they look like in 5 or 10 years???!!! Especially if there is not a decent HOA in place.

It just doesn't make sense that Westcreek would allow a neighborhood that is not part of WC to be sandwiched in between WC subdivisions.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 AM

41 posts, read 53,038 times
I agree with you, Steelman! Those weeds by the schools look terrible... we live in Wynwood and I complained about the weeds outside the Highpoint fence for two weeks... they finally got pulled. It seems like some areas of Westcreek get mowed/weeded regularly... others seems to go until it bugs people. This is our first summer here, though... is that the norm? Also... wish the people with the busted-through fence by the four-way stop would fix it. Looks terrible.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passitup View Post
I agree with you, Steelman! Those weeds by the schools look terrible... we live in Wynwood and I complained about the weeds outside the Highpoint fence for two weeks... they finally got pulled. It seems like some areas of Westcreek get mowed/weeded regularly... others seems to go until it bugs people. This is our first summer here, though... is that the norm? Also... wish the people with the busted-through fence by the four-way stop would fix it. Looks terrible.
I also noticed the weeds in the rocks along the road where Highpoint is located. It was a stark contrast with the other side of the road where Wynwood and Vistas of Westcreek are located. Your complaints must of did the trick as the weeds are gone. I guess WC figures the area is "under construction" so they can ignore it. It seems to be the norm as several other village entrances have small weeds (wild clover) in those areas.
As for the broken fence, this is the third time in about 2-3 years that someone has driven through the fence. Just like in the past, WC is probably waiting for the insurance to pay before fixing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio