Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 42,562 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to San Antonio this summer. We have three older kids who are in community college now and will want to transfer into a university soon. We are thinking about the $$ to be saved by having them live at home and go to UTSA. We thought it might be wise to live somewhat near the school so they can easily run back and forth as their different schedules will dictate. First, is it a respected school locally? If so, where would you suggest we live? We are accustomed to a 3,600 sf home in the $280,000 range. We are wanting to down-size to a 3,000 sf home and do not want to spend more than $300K. Actually, before transferring to UTSA we are wanting them to complete their associate's degree at the North West Vista College (community). When the first three kids are finished with all this, there are three more right behind them, so this is something we will be needing to do for many years. I think it would really simplify our lives if we lived somewhere between the two schools. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 04:08 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,393 times
I live one exit down from UTSA and my hubby is getting out in May. Its a good local school and they are making improvements to the depts all the time. I can tell you that SAC has the best math dept around here (go figure that!) Anyway something in Helotes or Grey Forest is a good in between spot for you depending on the place where you work though you might want somewhere else but with that price range you have plenty of options!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 42,562 times
Thanks Neddy? One question; what is SAC?

Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM

71 posts, read 292,261 times
SAC is the nickname for San Antonio College it is one of the largest community colleges in the country. I currently go to UTSA and overall I think it is a great school it is the second largest in the University system behind UT-Austin. UTSA has almost 30k students. Only thing they really sucks right now about UTSA is that they are doing alot of construction because the school is growing so fast so parking is really tight and sucks @ the 1604 campus. I would advise taking classes at the downtown campus plenty of parking and alot easier to get in and out of.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,938 times
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA041107.UTSA.debate.EN.118220ad.html (broken link)

Heated debate about immigration stirs up racial problems at UTSA today......

"The spectacle drew a crowd of about 750 to the university’s Sombrilla Plaza, making it perhaps the largest culture clash on campus to date."

Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,622 times
Sorry, I hate to bring down other schools, but I have to be honest... the reputation of UTSA isn't very good. It's considered a school that will accept virtually anyone and churn out anybody who's paid tuition. It's not known for having astute students, great facilities, good faculty, good job prospects upon graduation, etc.

I don't want to slam it too much. Truthfully, it's not bad... it's just not near good either. My apologies to all UTSA alumni.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,799 times
I completely agree with Drzy. I teach there, so I know...

Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I completely agree with Drzy. I teach there, so I know...
What do you teach at UTSA?

The reason I ask is because I went to UTSA so maybe we've spoken to one other unknowingly.

My sister attends currently, so maybe she knows you or has you for a class.

Last edited by 210; 04-11-2007 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 AM

71 posts, read 292,261 times
UTSA doesn't have that bad of a Rep. Yes it is alot easier to get into then alot of the schools in the UT system but that was just to grow within the past few yrs it has increased it Dr. programs and is going after a higher callibar student and if it was such a bad place why is the university growing so fast?

Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 AM

283 posts, read 1,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiddasdude19 View Post
UTSA doesn't have that bad of a Rep. Yes it is alot easier to get into then alot of the schools in the UT system but that was just to grow within the past few yrs it has increased it Dr. programs and is going after a higher callibar student and if it was such a bad place why is the university growing so fast?
Lots of local kids may go there rather than out of town to remain living at home and not have the additional expenses that come with living in an apartment or dorm in another city.

Keep in mind, San Antonio is not a city of residents that have that deep of a pocket.

Overall, I think UTSA is a decent school and I am enjoying watching it grow and potentially blossom into something major.

Everyday the face of San Antonio is changing.

Slowly but surely, I am confident that the educational institutes at the collegiate level in San Antonio will become similar to those in more established schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio