Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,787,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwinginit View Post
Fire Scully then resign.
'You're adding so much to this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 AM

927 posts, read 1,395,040 times
The new Mayor at some point during his tenure should focus on bringing the NFL to San Antonio. And I'm not talking about the dallas cowboys training camp either. I'm talking about an NFL team for San Antonio. The city will always be plagued by poor drainage, poverty and potholes. Let's see if the new Mayor can distinguish himself by landing something that will simultaneously boost the local economy, boost civic pride and improve the local quality of life.

Last edited by bresilhac; 07-20-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,223,453 times
It's interesting that this thread resurfaced on the heels of the first major move by Mayor Castro. I was very disappointed at the watered-down policy he rolled out for protecting Camp Bullis. He gave the DOD very little of what it was asking for to keep the camp a viable place to train military medics and the structure of his policy will allow more residential and retail development close to its boundaries. He has more faith than I do (and the media does) that the Army won't close Camp Bullis and cause the city to lose a few thousand jobs.

Mayor unveils steps by city to help Bullis (http://www.mysanantonio.com/military/Mayor_unveils_steps_by_city_to_help_Bullis.html - broken link)

Builder's plans seen as setback for Bullis (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/northwest/Builders_plans_seen_as_setback_for_Bullis.html - broken link)

Leaders must act for Camp Bullis (http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/editorials/Leaders_must_act_for_Camp_Bullis.html - broken link)

Camp Bullis needs more than JLUS (http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/editorials/Camp_Bullis_needs_more_than_JLUS.html - broken link)

Bullis backers bristle at Palmira development (http://www.mysanantonio.com/community/north_central/Bullis_backers_bristle_at_Palmira_development.html - broken link)

Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 AM

The army is bluffing on the "we'll leave if you don't do it our way" stance and Castro is calling it.

If you put in certain measures, everything should be fine. The two (Military and Development) can co-exist.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
The army is bluffing on the "we'll leave if you don't do it our way" stance and Castro is calling it.

If you put in certain measures, everything should be fine. The two (Military and Development) can co-exist.
I agree. Picking up and moving the operations to another location would be cost prohibitive and impractical as well. The developers should exercise some restraint however in that area as well as everywhere else.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The new Mayor at some point during his tenure should focus on bringing the NFL to San Antonio.
I'm talking about an NFL team for San Antonio.
There are greater concerns and needs more important than an NFL team. We shouldn't be out trying to lure or convince anyone or anybody to bring an NFL team here. Let us improve the overall quality of life and if they want to come knocking on our doors then maybe we'll answer.

It's time to stop being the unattractive girl no one wants to dance with and it's time to get our asses in shape and care about our looks and have everyone ask us to dance.

Quote:
The city will always be plagued by poor drainage, poverty and potholes.
Why? Because you'll accept it? How terrible of an attitude. These are the things that are more pressing of matter that should be paid attention to instead of chasing an NFL team.

Quote:
Let's see if the new Mayor can distinguish himself by landing something that will simultaneously boost the local economy, boost civic pride and improve the local quality of life.
Pro sports doesn't improve quality of life. Sorry. It does boost the local economy but not by much most of anything goes into the owners pocket. And yes it does boost civic pride but so what. If it means taking away from things that really matter then we don't need it.

The NFL isn't a necessity. It's a want and right now we need better than to spend millions upon millions to get a football team.

P.S.

I'm someone who would love an NFL team in SA.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
There are greater concerns and needs more important than an NFL team. We shouldn't be out trying to lure or convince anyone or anybody to bring an NFL team here. Let us improve the overall quality of life and if they want to come knocking on our doors then maybe we'll answer.

It's time to stop being the unattractive girl no one wants to dance with and it's time to get our asses in shape and care about our looks and have everyone ask us to dance.

Why? Because you'll accept it? How terrible of an attitude. These are the things that are more pressing of matter that should be paid attention to instead of chasing an NFL team.

Pro sports doesn't improve quality of life. Sorry. It does boost the local economy but not by much most of anything goes into the owners pocket. And yes it does boost civic pride but so what. If it means taking away from things that really matter then we don't need it.

The NFL isn't a necessity. It's a want and right now we need better than to spend millions upon millions to get a football team.

P.S.

I'm someone who would love an NFL team in SA.
I agree with you to an extent. No, the NFL is not a necessity. But neither are any of the other things you write of either. We're not talking about livers here. My point was that things like poor quality of life and poverty for some and potholes and too few police officers and so on etc, etc. will always be a fact in a large, modern city's life. They are perpetual in nature. Meaning that no matter how much time and effort is spent on them they will never be ameliorated. So why not prioritize something like an NFL team? The benefits to a community are boundless and it would be worth the city's effort to get one both in the short and long term.

If you don't think NFL teams are important to the communities in which they reside, try folding the Cowboys or the Giants or the Packers or the Steelers and then tell the citizenry that you will take the money spent on these teams and you will instead plow it back into local libraries, schools, other public works etc. You know what would happen. There would be rioting in the streets. My point is that NFL teams are critically important. Just as much as the other things you write of. You should take a poll sometime of people in NFL cities just to see if my views are credible. I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,223,453 times
Quote:

But what if you're both wrong and the DOD puts Bullis on the next BRAC list? For that matter, why hand the DOD a reason to consider putting it on the BRAC list? I saw Camp Bullis and Fort Sam spokesman Phil Reidinger present at a public meeting about this, and he sure convinced me that the military wasn't bluffing.

IMO, the Army's reasons for asking for development curbs should trump the developer preference not to grant them. After all, San Antonio is Military City USA, not Real Estate City USA. It's not like San Antonio is strapped for areas to develop, either. Drive all the way around 1604 sometime and look at the other options! The area around Bullis just happens to be the current hot spot for development.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,832,818 times
The cost of either a new stadium or bringing up the AlamoDud to current NFL spec is insanely cost-prohibitive. If it were my choice between fixing streets, building sidewalks, landscaping, outdoor lighting or wooing the NFL to pretty-please give us an expansion team, I'd say FORGET the NFL.

Yes, NFL teams are important to the cities mentioned, but they're not the lifeblood of these places. Every place you mentioned already relies on other forms of industry and income to keep themselves solvent. San Antonio's lifeblood, mainly, is tourism. A beautiful city with a properly working airport (that doesn't resemble Buchenwald), well-kept streets, continual downtown development and a general sense of things being handled seamlessly is what will keep this city raking in money. The burbs of SA are growing nicely as well, which is always a good thing.

My personal wants from our new Mayor? An honest look into a light-rail system (and not just a never-ending 10 year study) and perhaps even bringing back the old SA streetcar system. We've have an incredible amount of people in this city now and need to look far beyond what we've gotten comfortable with. People aren't going to just stop driving on their own, so we need immediacy in finding a better system for highway relief, cost-effectiveness of travel and environmental concern.

I'd also like my own personal toilet made of solid gold... Methinks Castro is going to have to work with me a lot on that request.

And that's SOLID gold, not SOILED

BN

Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM

18,192 posts, read 25,441,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The new Mayor at some point during his tenure should focus on bringing the NFL to San Antonio.
I'd rather use that money to improve ...... everything in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio