Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,727 times

Advertisements

This is a great article on Mayor Julián Castro. A little long but very interesting.

The Post-Hispanic Hispanic Politician - NYTimes.com

Last edited by txmusicgal; 05-07-2010 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,918 times
Thanks for posting!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 AM

580 posts, read 1,430,063 times
Great article. San Antonio as the future face of America. I love it.

I'm surprised that no one has commented yet on the mayor's mother's statement about the Alamo:

“They used to take us there when we were schoolchildren,” she told me. “They told us how glorious that battle was. When I grew up I learned that the ‘heroes’ of the Alamo were a bunch of drunks and crooks and slaveholding imperialists who conquered land that didn’t belong to them. But as a little girl I got the message — we were losers. I can truly say that I hate that place and everything it stands for.”

I believe that's on page 2 . . . .

Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,282 times
I was going to post this article on here yesterday when I saw it.

What really caught my attention was the gentleman who said that he could be a front runner candidate as the first Latino president of the USA. That was very flattering and also he was one of a handful of mayors to meet with the president months ago.

I voted for Castro in 2004/2005 against Hardberger and was dissapointed he lost and then I voted for Castro in the last election (2008) for which he won.

So it all came full circle for Castro and, in hindsight, I don't feel any animosity towards Hardberger winning in 2004/2005. Hardberger did a great job as mayor; now Castro has taken the reins.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Great article. San Antonio as the future face of America. I love it.

I'm surprised that no one has commented yet on the mayor's mother's statement about the Alamo:

“They used to take us there when we were schoolchildren,” she told me. “They told us how glorious that battle was. When I grew up I learned that the ‘heroes’ of the Alamo were a bunch of drunks and crooks and slaveholding imperialists who conquered land that didn’t belong to them. But as a little girl I got the message — we were losers. I can truly say that I hate that place and everything it stands for.”

I believe that's on page 2 . . . .
Because if anyone does, this thread will quickly disintegrate!

Maybe it's best that her comments go undiscussed...

Old 05-07-2010, 10:51 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
There's no point on talking about what "X person's mom said"
Would be pretty crappy if we were held accountable for what our mother or father have said.

Interesting definition of "chicano" that that journalist has:
ROSIE CASTRO proudly calls herself a “Chicana,” a term that connotes political activism and ethnic pride, but she says her son is different. “I don’t think Julián would call himself a Chicano,” she told me. “A Latino maybe.”

The definition of chicano that I've always heard, is a mexican-american that doesn't speak Spanish.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The definition of chicano that I've always heard, is a mexican-american that doesn't speak Spanish.
Um, no. It's not about the language one speaks.

It's more about their life and culture and having an immense pride in being a Mexican-American.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's no point on talking about what "X person's mom said"
Would be pretty crappy if we were held accountable for what our mother or father have said.
If it's part of the article, it's relevant--and furthermore, it is relevant to Castro as to his upbringing. I think her comments are disgusting, personally.

Castro as the first Latino President? Hmmm. I remember people saying the same thing about that crook Cisneros. Can we see what he does in a full term as mayor first? Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 05-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: National politics are off-topic in local forums. Feel free to start a thread in the Politics & O.C forum and link to it here.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
If it's part of the article, it's relevant--and furthermore, it is relevant to Castro as to his upbringing. I think her comments are disgusting, personally.

Castro as the first Latino President? Hmmm. I remember people saying the same thing about that crook Cisneros. Can we see what he does in a full term as mayor first? Moderator cut: off topic

I do agree that Castro needs to complete his first term as mayor. He's still relatively new at his job and he would definitely need to prove himself over the long run (or any candidate for that matter) to even be a presdential candidate.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 05-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original and removed orphaned reference to quote

Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
I have to admit I have more respect for Castro since reading this article than I did beforehand. It's not like I had anything against him, I just didn't know much about the man. Unfortunately, in this day and age most politicians are perceived as being crooked by default; he seems to be honestly wanting to serve his all of his constituents, and I hope that remains the case throughout his career in public service.

As for his mother's comments, she has a right to say what she feels and it appears he is trying to remain neutral about it all. I just wonder what her reaction would be if the same was said about the Mexicans involved? I am sure it would cause claims of bigotry and racism, much like that demonstrated against the high school students in California who wore American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo (which commemorates a battle between Mexican and French forces, so I don't even know what any of it has to do with the US!). I am sure she’s not the only one to feel that way, but the bottom line is that the Texans won the battle (and their independence) and history is written by the victors.

Regardless, her comments have nothing to do with his performance; he should be judged on the latter and nothing else!

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the signs were ever erected?

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio