Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 PM

140 posts, read 493,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
So, single parents shouldn't be held accountable for their kids' whereabouts and well-being? "Oh, it's OK, little Johnny can tag the fences, he doesn't have a daddy." "Oh, is that Susie out walking the streets? She might get picked up and raped, and left for dead somewhere." "It's OK, her mom is at work and she doesn't care." See, unfortunately, it does take a village.
Well unless you chained your kid down to the floor, um no, unfotunately you cant be responsible for every action your kid makes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 03:46 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Amazing that 10 and 17 year old kids have the same curfew.

I wonder how many 10-year-old kid have gone to the store in the middle of the night to buy diapers for their babies.
Here in SA ??? A bunch !!! It seems that the only time somebody gets prosecuted for a sex crime here is when they couldn't shake down the perpetrator for enough money.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM

322 posts, read 774,910 times
Quote:
Council tightens kids' curfew (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Council_tightens_kids_curfew.html - broken link)

Do you think they'll do any better at enforcing it? I happen to agree with Sheila McNeil on this one--kids as young as 10 should not have an 11PM curfew, that's too late. They have absolutely no business being outside that late at night.

I do like the part that says the kids get taken to SAPD's youth services division and Mom or Dad has to come from the bar to pick them up. They should have to blow before they are allowed to leave with the child.
I'm cool with a curfew, but there needs to be places to go. And yes, I know "home" is one of those places, but when I was growing up we had rec leagues and gyms and other places we could go hang out. We could go to the mall until 9pm, or the movies until 1am. There needs to be things to do because whether we like it or not, when you're 17 you have waaaay too much energy to be going to bed @ 10pm on a Friday night, like this old fart does

Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4512 View Post
Well unless you chained your kid down to the floor, um no, unfotunately you cant be responsible for every action your kid makes.
I've never chained my kids down. I have no idea what you are saying here.

And as a parent, yes, I am responsible for every action my kid makes.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
There is so much gray here...which is why curfew laws are usually brought up only if the kiddo is causing trouble.

Nobody would call the police because the 17 year old athlete across the street jogs daily at 5:30am.

I also agree with a previous poster, 17 year olds who have graduated high school - no GED bull but really have graduated - should be exempt.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 PM

322 posts, read 774,910 times
Quote:
I've never chained my kids down. I have no idea what you are saying here.

And as a parent, yes, I am responsible for every action my kid makes.
i'd agree. you may not be able to control every action your kid makes, but as a parent you will, and probably should, be held responsible for their actions. it's a subtle but important difference in wording.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio