Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:37 PM

204 posts, read 943,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I suggest that you wait about a week before coming here to ask these questions. I can predict three scenarios for your visit concerning the river. One, the river will be dry. Two the river will be flooded and all access will be prohibited. Or three we will get just enough rain to make it nice by then and your choices will be limitless. Either way, I wouldn't make any decisions this early. It might be interesting to pull this thread up on the weekend that you arrive and see which prediction came true, if any.
Or you can just float the Comal and avoid #1 and #2. The Comal is spring fed so the water level rarely changes. Even in the worst drought I've never seen it below an unfloatable level. The Guadalupe on the other hand, can not only get slow, but can flat out dry up in some places.

I suggest floating the Comal and getting in at Landa Falls. It's the longest float on the river, and you can bring your own tube and get in for just $10 (and get a ride back). If you're going this weekend, it will be crowded but it won't be the clusterf**k that July 4th weekend will be. Bring your sunscreen and Bud Light Lime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:25 PM

46 posts, read 179,336 times
Im a young 25 year old and work in the bar industry. I suggest Comal. Thats where everyone goes to that I know.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:00 PM

616 posts, read 2,090,532 times
I third (or however many) the Comal. It's much better right now than the Guad. People I know who've gone to the Guad lately were having to get up and walk across the dry spots. Not fun.

Comal is shorter, but that means you can go twice.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:36 PM

214 posts, read 503,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
we are spending time in austin and san antonio and would like to spend a saturday tubing and relaxing in september. we are both 25 year old females and would rent the cooler to bring drinks (teacher and nurse here, and no plans to vomit in the river...) i cannot figure out if we should go on the comal, or go on the guadapule. we also want to stop in gruene briefly on the back to austin for a late lunch/early dinner at the gristmill (memories of that place for me). basically any ideas which one we should pick? i would actually go to both if we had time, but we dont unfortunately. thanks
I'd like to recommend River Inn Resort out of Hunt, Texas. Google it. My family has owned a condo there for years. The Guadalupe is dammed up there near it's source, so it's never too low. September is awesome there. It's a very relaxed atmosphere and both Kerrvile and Fredricksburg are only a hop, skip, and a jump away. Definately go into Fredricksburg and check out the beer garden, along with the German bakeries. If you like museums there's a great little WW2 museum there too.

I go up there every chance I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio