Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Well, ok, yes, but the people at the DPS offices there are friendlier because they don't have to deal with the sheer number of people who roll through an office like the one on Babcock.

I renew online when I can but if I can't then I go to the DPS office on Babcock. I'm not going to drive all the way up to freakin' Boerne just because someone might be rude to me. I just get to the office just before they open so I can be one of the first in line.

I'm not trying to excuse the rudeness that the employee displayed to the OP, but I also don't think it's fair to compare that DPS office to the ones in Boerne and Kerrville.
Which is why I don't understand why a city as large as SA does not have more DPS offices? When I applied years ago, I went to the Babcock office and the one on Perrin-Beitel and walked out of both within minutes. I finally went to the new Braunfels loc off of Ruekle Rd exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Which is why I don't understand why a city as large as SA does not have more DPS offices? When I applied years ago, I went to the Babcock office and the one on Perrin-Beitel and walked out of both within minutes. I finally went to the new Braunfels loc off of Ruekle Rd exit.
DPS wants to build one of their new "mega centers" at Evers and Huebner, but the local neighbors are opposing it, so it may not come to fruition. But they are looking to put it somewhere in the NW part of town.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
DPS wants to build one of their new "mega centers" at Evers and Huebner, but the local neighbors are opposing it, so it may not come to fruition. But they are looking to put it somewhere in the NW part of town.
Even if they build this "mega" center, it will be run like a Target store. They have like 30 checkout lanes, but only 4-5 cashiers at any given time.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Even if they build this "mega" center, it will be run like a Target store. They have like 30 checkout lanes, but only 4-5 cashiers at any given time.
Not only that, but no self-checkouts!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Which is why I don't understand why a city as large as SA does not have more DPS offices?
Oh my lord yes. 4 offices? That's IT?!

We went to Boerne. Nicest people ever.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM

210 posts, read 502,404 times
I went to get my driver's license a few months back at the one on Babcock and was told over the phone to just walk-in for a driving test.

The first day I got there I was third in line at 7am, ended up waiting over 4hrs to get my details onto their system. I was then told that all the walk-in spots had been taken for that day and to come the next day.

Soooooooo I turn up the next day, got there a little later so ended up being about the 30th in line or so. Waited for ages in the queue to be seen only to be told that many staff were off sick and to come back another time for a walk-in driver's test. Arrrrrrrrrrgh! Why there was no sign at the door saying "NO WALK IN DRIVING TESTS TODAY!" I will never know, but I wasted almost 3hrs of my life just waiting for nothing..

So I end up booking a slot online, but didn't want to wait the 3 weeks for my license so I went back a THIRD time and this time I was lucky. Walked straight up to the desk, got the first slot and had my test at 8.45am.

I never, ever, ever want to step food in that place again though. What a nightmare! I couldn't believe the waiting times and the place is TINY.

Also someone in the ladies restroom had bad gas and the toilets stunk. Ew.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM

194 posts, read 524,474 times
Yeah, it's the DPS. You can't expect much from it except for two things: 1) rude employees 2) long lines.

It's pretty much universal throughout all of Texas. I've been to the DPS locations in Dallas and Houston, and never once have I been treated better than crap.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 AM
cjw

125 posts, read 479,986 times
I was at the UC DPS Friday (several hours) and in visiting with the lady while making an appt for a driving test she told me that Houston and Dallas have a 6+ week wait for an appt. And that some people are driving here to take the test because the SA wait is less. And that recently a dad and his daughter drove here from Houston and the daughter forgot her driver's ed paperwork at home. And the dad was mad at her because she wouldn't let the daughter take the driving test. Silly dad. I can't believe he would get in the car for such a long drive without verifying they had the paperwork with them.

So our visit to the DPS office was ridiculously long but my daughter's appt is only 2 weeks away and not 6 weeks so I guess it could be worse.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM

99 posts, read 223,880 times
I have to go to a DPS office for my motorcycle license. Can I go to the Boerne one, even though I'm a resident of Bexar county? My mailing address is Helotes, although I doubt that matters.

I'm closest to the Babcock office, but I've been there a couple times before and have had similar experiences to the ones above (particularly about the wait times, no matter when I show up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh my lord yes. 4 offices? That's IT?!

We went to Boerne. Nicest people ever.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:52 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Yep - you can go to any DPS office in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio