Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,333,776 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone before? Is it crowded? My hubby wants to know if they sell beer (I told him fat chance). We're thinking about going but with the heat, I was wondering what crowds were like.

Would you recommend going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM

626 posts, read 1,241,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Has anyone gone before? Is it crowded? My hubby wants to know if they sell beer (I told him fat chance). We're thinking about going but with the heat, I was wondering what crowds were like.

Would you recommend going?
I have.
While stationed at Kelly AFB (Gone but NEVER forgotten) back in the early 80's it was the place to go for us "barracks rats".
Yes it is crowded, yes it is hot, and yes they used to sell beer...don't know what the policy is nowdays...but it was a good and clean atmosphere.
They would have groups (music) play at the Amphiteather as well as food stands, beer booths, clown dunking,...well, you get the idea.
If you live in base housing...either walk or bike your way over...if you drive, well then, arm yourself with patience when the fireworks are over as everyone leaves and there'll be looooong lines to go out the gates.
Enjoy yourself and family and have a Happy 4th. of July.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,996,643 times
More info here:

Lackland readies for Star Spangled Festival

and...

http://www.lacklandservices.com/asse...09_July4th.pdf

Cheers! M2

Old 07-01-2009, 01:54 PM

626 posts, read 1,241,613 times
Lackland readies for Star Spangled Festival

/26/2009 - LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas -- The sights and sounds of America's birthday celebration will fill the air at the base amphitheater July 4 as Team Lackland opens its gates to the public for its 31st annual Star Spangled Festival.

The festival begins at 2 p.m. and concludes at 9:30 p.m. with a 20-minute fireworks extravaganza. In between, children and adults will be entertained with activities and music.

"This is Team Lackland's way of giving back to the community," said Brian Milkovich, events director for the 37th Services Division. "The festivities promise to be a fun-filled event for the entire family."

Headlining the music will be The Pictures Band, which has performed for clients such as former President George W. Bush, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Dell computer founder Michael Dell. Mick Hernandez and the Silverados will open the free concert at 7 p.m. followed by The Pictures at 8:20 p.m.

"We are really looking forward to the performance," Mr. Milkovich said.

Among the activities will be an arts and crafts fair, children's carnival, paintball challenge, hip hop tent with a disc jockey, kidz zone, and food and beverage booths. A first for the festival will be a live broadcast by Radio Disney.

Gates open at 2 p.m. and visitors will only be allowed entry to the base through the Gateway East Gate on southwest Military Drive. Base visitors must have a valid photo ID and proof of car insurance. No weapons, backpacks, coolers, video cameras or pets are allowed on the event grounds.

For more information, call 37th Marketing and Publicity at 671-3906 or visit their Web site at www.lacklandservices.com.

No video cameras???....hmmmm.
Cell phone videos are ok I guess.

Thanks for the link Maj.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,983 times
Default Off-Base Viewing?

Does anyone know how well the fireworks can be viewed from off-base? Is there a good area that anyone knows of? We live near Bandera Road and Prue - will we be able to see anything from here?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Thegha,
I wasn't sure if you knew this, but I think non-military are admitted to the base. You don't have to have an ID card for this event.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,996,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Thegha,
I wasn't sure if you knew this, but I think non-military are admitted to the base. You don't have to have an ID card for this event.
You are absolutely correct...look at the flyer in the second link in my previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
"Free Admission Open To The Public. Public entrance to the event will be granted through Gateway East Gate only"

And before anyone asks...

Quote:
How do I get there?

When driving to Lackland, you will be arriving on four major roads: I-10/Hwy 90, Hwy 281, I-37, or I-35. There are two main gates with Visitors Centers: The Gateway East Gate and Airman's Gate.

Arriving from the east on I-10 or Hwy 90

* Travel through San Antonio on I-10/Hwy 90 West, exit on Military Drive and turn left

* Travel south approximately one mile to the Gateway East gate which will be on your left.
I am pretty sure you will need photo ID to get on base, but being that tomorrow is a Federal holiday I doubt there will be anyone around at the number posted (671-3906) to confirm that.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,216 times
Looks like Randolph won't be having a 4th of July festival this year, so Lackland will probably be even more crowded.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM

778 posts, read 2,504,331 times
If you want to see the fireworks at Lackland but don't want to go on base, park in the parking lot of the Handy Andy at Hwy 90 and Military.

(You may want to get your Conceal Carry Permit ahead of time though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio