Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
See... we love your post wcat!!
haha....you all are funny! I can't tell the whole story...they won't have anything to write about!

Don...I will DM you (Direct message/private message).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Ah, I see now; I thought the circumstances were along the lines of Prussian Count Norbert Von Ormay...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Dona....I sent you a DM today with some additional info. Hope to hear from you again! Regards!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,694 times
My gggrandfather's brother, George Holland, raised Edwin Holland Terrell. In your message, you stated that Edwin's shot himself, and died a few days later. Where can I find the source of this information?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holland View Post
My gggrandfather's brother, George Holland, raised Edwin Holland Terrell. In your message, you stated that Edwin's shot himself, and died a few days later. Where can I find the source of this information?
Hello George....I am very interested in talking to you. I'm not sure if we're going to hear from Dona agan. It's been months since she posted and has not been back. She had indicated that she was interested in the research I've done, but I have yet to hear from her. I hope this post was serious as that grand house definitely deserves to be restored.

I have a lot of info on Edwin Holland Terrell. But since you are a distant relative, you probably have a lot more. DM me (send me a direct message if you're interested). I only have record of his one brother. I'm very curious to where the "Holland" name ties in. Edwin did have a son named George, so that makes sense to use a family name as well. It also makes sense that he may have been raised by an older sibling since his father was almost 50 when he was born. (I don't have the birth date for his mother). He and his oldest brother Charles were 16 years apart, so Charles was up and gone off to boarding school when Edwin was just a young boy.

I have some info on his death, but not the specifics of him shooting himself.
He was under a great deal of political and financial stress at the end of his life. I have also heard that he never truly got over the death of his first wife, Mary.

I would love to hear from you.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Since Dona hasn't come back, we may not get to hear about some of the interesting history of the "Castle on Grayson". I have never see or read or heard anything that refers to it as "Lambermont". Even the news refers to it as the Terrell Mansion.

Just a tidbit. Lucy Bonnet purchased the house in 1917 according to the San Antonio Light. The article mentioned that The house has been vacant for seven years since the death of Edwin Terrell in 1910. That's a long time for that house to sit vacant. It would be interesting to know what condition it was in when it was sold. The house was built in 1895 by Edwin Terrell for $50,000. The article did not mention what Lucy Bonnet paid for it 22 years later.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Cat, you always amaze me with your knowledge .
I found a website with a lot of pictures and a video of this place. Check it out:
Terrell Castle Bed & Breakfast-San Antonio, TX Terrell Castle Bed & Breakfast located near downtown San Antonio (http://www.ranchlineauction.com/listings/terrell-castle-bed-breakfast-san-antonio-tx.php# - broken link)

Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Default Lambermont

Gathered this information from the book "San Antonio Then and Now" (pages 112-113).

"A residential project of Alfred Giles, Lambermont was built in 1894 for Indiana-born Edwin Holland Terrell, a San Antonio businessman and state Republican Party leader. Terrell, a Harvard Law School graduate who had studied at the Sorbonne, was a San Antonio Gas Company executive and promoter of the city's first railroad. He was serving as U.S. minister to Belgium when his first wife, Mary, daughter of pioneer Samuel Maverick, died in 1891. Lambermont (named for a Belgian village) was planned as a bridal gift for Terrell's second wife, Lois Lasater. The limestone-block house recalls elements of French chateaus and other European architecture. After Terrell's death in 1910, his widow moved to Paris, and the house was sold.

After the Terrell's tenure, Lambermont had several owners. During the 1930's, a spiritualist held seances in the large central reception hall. Later it became a boardinghouse, and then the mansion was divided into apartments in the 1970's. The still majestic building was renamed Terrell Castle in 1986, when it was converted to a bed-and-breakfast inn. Some suites include one of the house's original nine fireplaces. A restoration preserved distinctive woodwork, such as a staircase with harp-shaped newel posts, cabinetwork with adjustable shelving, inlaid borders, and parquet floors. While most such establishments in San Antonio are in the King William Historic District or other downtown areas, Terrell Castle's one acre site is on the southern edge of Fort Sam Houston, a historic U.S. Army post."

There are a couple of beautiful pics of the home from the early 1900's but unfortunately my scanner is on the fritz.

Beautiful place.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Cat, you always amaze me with your knowledge .
I found a website with a lot of pictures and a video of this place. Check it out:
Terrell Castle Bed & Breakfast-San Antonio, TX Terrell Castle Bed & Breakfast located near downtown San Antonio (http://www.ranchlineauction.com/listings/terrell-castle-bed-breakfast-san-antonio-tx.php# - broken link)
Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,694 times
I have some information about Edwin's earlier life in Indiana. He was adopted by my gggreat uncle, so I have some records if you are interested.

Jim Holland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio