Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Their numbers are obviously used differently. If you know more info on their system, please enlighten us and we can have an intelligent discussion about whether they have "it" figured out.
It could start an extremely long discussion, because the system in Venezuela has its flaws.
My point is that I never heard of somebody taken a persons information and getting a credit card.
I would think is as simple as passing a law that says that people can only request a credit card in person and showing IDs.

What is the venezuelan I.D. "cedula" used for? everything
My passport number is the same number of my cedula
If I went to vote, I would use my cedula as an I.D. to make sure that I don't vote twice.
There's cedulas for citizen and none citizens, so it proves people's citizenship.

Again, before going into a huge discussion of something else...
my point is that I don't understand why it is so easy for somebody to take my information and get a credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 01:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It could start an extremely long discussion, because the system in Venezuela has its flaws.
My point is that I never heard of somebody taken a persons information and getting a credit card.
I would think is as simple as passing a law that says that people can only request a credit card in person and showing IDs.

What is the venezuelan I.D. "cedula" used for? everything
My passport number is the same number of my cedula
If I went to vote, I would use my cedula as an I.D. to make sure that I don't vote twice.
There's cedulas for citizen and none citizens, so it proves people's citizenship.

Again, before going into a huge discussion of something else...
my point is that I don't understand why it is so easy for somebody to take my information and get a credit card.
Since you don't know. You may want to subscribe to Lifelock. They can explain the whole ball of wax, plus protect you for a very small fee.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Once again....I am so disappointed in these reporters. They create more confusion than enlightenment. Was a law broken? Obviously, the business practices of this tax firm are hugely questionable, but was this a criminal offense? The reported didn't say. And WOAI KEPT some of the papers??? Why? Why did they NOT give it all to the police? Making a statement like "we're going to make sure the part we kept is destroyed" sounds so Mickey Mouse.

Did the police comment at all??? And come on editors....who is editing for typos, grammar and spelling? Thumbs down on the tax firm and the reporter's story.
It is possible this tax preparer may have broken laws based on the "Red Flag Laws" that have been implemented. Some institutions were required to comply by this month, some will have to comply by November. I had never heard of this law until I had to write a paper for class a few weeks ago. I have been a victim of identity theft and if I was a customer of this business....well, I'd be hunting down that owner and giving him a piece of my mind.

http://www.cpai.com/show-article?id=233

Quote:
As noted in a recent FTC publication3,”if a company offers its own credit card, or arranges for credit for its customers, or extends credit by selling customers goods or services and bills for them later, it is a ‘creditor’ under the laws.”

Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM

262 posts, read 1,042,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
Todd Davis the CEO of LifeLock
He was a victim of identity theft, it was in the news.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
It is possible this tax preparer may have broken laws based on the "Red Flag Laws" that have been implemented. Some institutions were required to comply by this month, some will have to comply by November. I had never heard of this law until I had to write a paper for class a few weeks ago. I have been a victim of identity theft and if I was a customer of this business....well, I'd be hunting down that owner and giving him a piece of my mind.

http://www.cpai.com/show-article?id=233
hadley...thanks for that information. I know I sounded sarcastic, but I really didn't know what law was broken. (it was clearly wrong...just no specifics) The sarcasm was meant for the reporter who when reporting about a story should research such things and inform the public why this was a big deal. Now we know...thanks to you. Have you considered a career in journalism. There might be a job opening.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
He was a victim of identity theft, it was in the news.
Goes back to what I'm saying about why is it so easy for a thief to get a credit card with somebody else's information

Old 08-01-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Goes back to what I'm saying about why is it so easy for a thief to get a credit card with somebody else's information
Dopo....the CEO of Lifelock started LIFELOCK because of his identity theft. Seriously. It happens a lot. If you are not protected then you really should call Lifelock and become a member. I am. There are a zillion ways to forge documents.....just look up the FBI web site. Have you not seen black market exchanges in movies about people buying passports, Drivers licenses, SSN cards? The courts used to be filled with SSN 's which now have been pain stakingly redacted....just a little too late.

Lifelock has taps into blackmarket sales on the internet of people's SSN's and they have their member's numbers flagged. That's how mine was caught being traded. It's very easy for criminals because that's how they make their living.

If you have credible information that Venezuela doesn't have identity theft going on in their country, then the FBI would probably like to talk to you.

Other than that, this really is straying way off the San Antonio route and is headed for another forum. Peace out!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 AM

Just want to clarify something,
What I said about identify theft over there was only about credit cards.

I believe that laws can be passed to make it impossible for another person to get a credit card with my information

Last edited by Dopo; 08-02-2009 at 12:36 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Just want to clarify something,
What I said about identify theft over there was only about credit cards.

I believe that laws can be passed to make it impossible for another person to get a credit card with my information
ok

Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
who would a Venezuelan ss#?

What would you gain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio