Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Exactly, there is no irony, just lack of self control. I don't see any difference between driving into a store, driving up next to a store, or going into a store to buy alcohol. I do that all the time, and I never open a beer for the drive home. There is no "increased temptation" due to the convenience.
true statement - anyone demonizing drive thru beer barns doesn't get it. The alcohol has to make it to my house somehow - I don't know anyone who delivers it. In that light - I have to buy it and put it in my car and drive it home - whether I drive through or stop and go in.

People need to quit drinking and driving - regardless of where the alcohol is purchased. period. end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Exactly, there is no irony, just lack of self control. I don't see any difference between driving into a store, driving up next to a store, or going into a store to buy alcohol. I do that all the time, and I never open a beer for the drive home. There is no "increased temptation" due to the convenience.
I agree. When I buy alcohol I'm not tempted to "pop a top" as soon as I get in my ride I think they have meetings for people who are that tempted

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I try to stay off the road during the late evening hours on weekends, they may exist. I figure my odds of being hit by a drunk are greatly reduced by being home when these morons are out and about!
So true. Just wait until your kids start driving. My daughter gets mad because I make her come home early. I just can't sleep at night knowing she is out there on the streets with the drunks. I know that drunks are out anytime of day, not just at night, but I don't want my kid on the streets at closing time.

Unfortunately, I don't think drunk driving will ever go away .

Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM

266 posts, read 706,623 times
the thing that strikes me is second hand smoke from a cigarette that causes a very low amount of deaths (if there is really any at all) results in a smoking bans all over the country and the world, and the largest single tax increase on a product in history. Nonstop anti smoking campaigns, signs everyplace, militant people who have no problem screaming at a stranger for smoking. The government is tromping on private property rights of business owners, in some states they are telling people they cant smoke in there own home, back yard, and in their own cars! All over what? Because people don’t like the smell…let face it that’s the big reason.

Yet all this trouble with alcohol, piles of dead bodies, destroyed families, and life’s; the result? a shrug and people saying this is bad. Its really amazing. The substance that has caused more pain, death and suffering that any other in the world gets lip service and very little public out cry. Yet smoking, lmao, they act like you are killing baby seals..

i find this very amusing

oh ya,,,I don’t smoke cigarettes.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
It's true that those drive-thru liquor places don't force people to drink in their car, but you know that is the exact purpose of making them a drink that they can have in their car. It is sealed and technically illegal to open it while driving, but it's also illegal to exceed the speed limit and not completely stop for stop signs; those work just as well.. I've also seen giant tubs of ice filled with beers in convenience stores like Valero. I'm sure everyone buys those and are going to wait until they get home when it will be nice and warm thanks to the summer heat in Texas. Getting rid of both of these won't stop the irresponsible idiot problem, but it will at least make it a little more difficult on them. Giving them the convenience just makes them feel like someone is condoning their disease.
However, the only things that are really going to make a dent in the problem are increased law enforcement and friends and family telling these idiots they have a problem and they need to stop. Laughing it off or turning a blind eye to what they do is only adding to the already huge problem and I still don't understand why there aren't more arrests. I see them EVERYWHERE after about 9:00 PM. It should be like a grizzly bear in a river full of migrating salmon.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
Yes, mtdave2, we should tackle the problem of drunk driving with equal level that cigarette smoking is tackled. But how? I would be interested in hearing the how part....

Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I have never been anywhere that had this bad of a drunken driving problem. However, this is what is leading me to wonder if this is actually as bad as it gets: http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Deputy-constable-arrested-for-driving-drunk-in/TN7II5rUfUCmZX0zSRGYaQ.cspx
This is absolutely a pathetic disgrace to the entire community and should be investigated further. If there is actually someone here with a badge that is that stupid, are they really taking the problem seriously? or is this why there are so many drunks on the road? Is the local LE ignoring the subject because maybe it is a little too close to home for a lot of them?
I am not insinuating that all LE in the area are drunks or anything like that, but this is just crazy.
BTW, this all became a lot more relevant to me after I literally came within inches of getting slammed by a drunk idiot on westbound 90 early Sunday morning. I was going home from work, when an idiot came up behind me and the car next to me at about 90-100 MPH. I saw him coming and luckily the car next to me did too because they swerved over quickly into the exit lane for 410 just as the idiot would have slammed into the back of him. The fool had absolutely no intention of stopping and could not have. I have little doubt the person next to me would have died instantly if they would not have seen it coming. I called 911 immediately after the fool did that and threw a beer bottle out his window, but I am sure they did not do anything. I gave a perfect description of the truck, followed him up to 1604, and gave the operator directions, but all they did was say they would have someone look into it. I gave up at 1604 because he turned south and I have never been down there before, so I did not feel that I could safely escape if he did something very stupid.
To answer the question posed in the subject line of this thread: No.

By the way, I love Beer & All. It's awesome.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times
C'mon, rd! The WORLD?! Exaggerate much? Drunk driving is a huge problem in SA and the punishment for it should be much harsher, but to say it is the capital of the world is a bit over the top.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I don't think it was meant literally. This isn't "Elf".

Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I don't think it was meant literally. This isn't "Elf".
Whatever...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It's true that those drive-thru liquor places don't force people to drink in their car, but you know that is the exact purpose of making them a drink that they can have in their car. It is sealed and technically illegal to open it while driving, but it's also illegal to exceed the speed limit and not completely stop for stop signs; those work just as well.. I've also seen giant tubs of ice filled with beers in convenience stores like Valero. I'm sure everyone buys those and are going to wait until they get home when it will be nice and warm thanks to the summer heat in Texas. Getting rid of both of these won't stop the irresponsible idiot problem, but it will at least make it a little more difficult on them. Giving them the convenience just makes them feel like someone is condoning their disease.
However, the only things that are really going to make a dent in the problem are increased law enforcement and friends and family telling these idiots they have a problem and they need to stop. Laughing it off or turning a blind eye to what they do is only adding to the already huge problem and I still don't understand why there aren't more arrests. I see them EVERYWHERE after about 9:00 PM. It should be like a grizzly bear in a river full of migrating salmon.
Now I have never purchased from one of these drive thrus that have been mentioned, however, I certainly have thought how nice it would be to be able to pick up margaritas for dinner at home (our home made ones are hit and miss).

I have purchased cold beer or a cold wine from a convienence store or grocery store however.

I would assume that generally, the above options are not abused by most citizens and used for the most practical of reasons - no time to chill a bottle or wine or case of beer so why not buy it chilled? Easy.

Of course getting rid of each of the options listed above would not help the problem, I am certain that anyone desperate enough would gladly take their beer warm if stores stopped offering cold beer that is "ready to drink".

On a personal level, if a person wants to drink themselves into oblivion, that is fine with me. However, why a person would not consider a taxi, a driver, the bus, renting a party bus, getting a hotel room or just staying home is beyond me. Especially adults whom should have more sense than any area college kids who are new to drinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio