Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times

Advertisements

We're getting ready to rip out our worthless & tiny patio and have a much bigger one installed. My husband and I love to sit outside and do so every single evening. We have some friends that have outdoor fireplaces, but they were built when their homes were built. Our home is ~20 yrs old.... we plan to be here for a loooong time, so we want to "do it once and do it right." Does anyone have any suggestions at all for someone who could do this? We need to do it as reasonably priced as possible, and my husband it super handy. I'm even wondering if he could build a fireplace himself...?
Does anyone have any pictures of "free standing" outdoor fireplaces? Not a fire pit!!!! Or suggestions on where I could go look at some and gather ideas? I'm not even sure where to begin on this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 AM

Something like this: http://www.craftsmenconstruction.com/images/Pics500pixelwide/2Pics500pixcelswide/DecarloOutdoorFireplace.jpg (broken link)

ANY clue how much this would cost? Ballpark??

Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
First things first...check your home owner's deed restrictions before you begin. Some communities do not allow these types of additions.

To do it right is going to be costly. I wouldn't cheap out on something like this. Since it is outdoors I also wouldn't use a fire box kit like so many builders use on interior fire places. A long lasting outdoor fireplace should be masonry.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 PM

19 posts, read 68,913 times
The same company that makes the stones for stacking retaining walls makes an outdoor fireplace/grill that goes to gether something like lincon logs and looks great to.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Something like this: http://www.craftsmenconstruction.com/images/Pics500pixelwide/2Pics500pixcelswide/DecarloOutdoorFireplace.jpg (broken link)

ANY clue how much this would cost? Ballpark??
I have no idea of cost, but that is an awesome idea! I can just imagine what a nice gathering place that would be.

Kinda makes my huge deck feel a little inadequate.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 11,446 times
Laren, we are building a new house and are looking for the same type of fireplace that you are. We have spoken to people and have been told (at least where we are) that landscape co. and deck co. are the sources we need to look towards to avoid that pre-fab, non-organic look. We want the fireplace to match or at least compliment the rock on the house. Love to hear if you find out more about it.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Hey, check out this site...these are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Fireplace Outdoor: Price Finder - Calibex

Old 11-22-2008, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 23,254 times
We are having ours done at this very moment and it is a 10 ft fireplace out of masonry on a brand new 23x28 total 2 level concrete deck. We are adding it to our existing porch of 20x10 ft concrete deck out the back door. Anyhow, the fireplace is 5,500 (got it much cheaper than 6 other estimates because it is winter time. Other costs were as much as 10,000 and the guy that I chose was going to charge me 7,500 but did it cheaper to get my business. We are having a sitting wall wing out from each side of the fireplace out of the same rock as the front of the house and you can sit on it as well. It will have a really large hearth and they are making a 2 level island on the top level and a large area for our drop in grill all out of masonry. This entire thing including concrete poured is 17,000. The guy has been in business for 15 yrs and worked for his dad and he was in business over 35 yrs. So I am completely confidant and so far it looks stunning and honestly looks like I paid 2 times that!! Good luck with your job.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,421,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hey, check out this site...these are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Fireplace Outdoor: Price Finder - Calibex
Wow, that's a lot of fireplaces!

We had considered building an outdoor one before, and I had considered building it. If your hubby is comfortable with light masonry it shouldn't be too difficult. But definitely price it out first!

Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 AM

UPDATE!! We got it done!!! I found a wonderful guy on Craigslist to do the masonry work. We told him we would do all the clean-up and "finish" work in order to keep costs down. It took him about a month bc he only works on the weekends. However, he was nice and very honest and we're thrilled!!! However, we're stuck.

To make a long story short, we (err... my darling husband!!!) really rushed into this project without a lot of thought. *sigh* We're big backyard people and know that this space will probably be used every single night. We hired out the masonry work but my husband did the flagstone himself. We will also be "finishing" everything (the rest of the landscaping) ourselves. My husband is pretty talented and can get the job done, we just need to figure out what would look best!

Here's where we are right now-
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/lauren0319/landscape%20redo/DSC04680.jpg (broken link)

Disclaimer- please excuse our dead grass! Gotta love St. Augustine this summer! It was also super bright when I took these pics.

Also, our backyard is one large hill, sloping upwards. We're just trying to work with it

First issue: These steps. We know we will be bringing in dirt and sod to make the top step level with the grass. We will also be placing 1 large flagstone as a "stepping stone" at the very top to avoid trampling the grass. However, what should we do on the side of these steps? It's kind of like a drop-off. My husband suggested we level it out to be even with the retaining wall and turn in into a "flower box" of sorts. I'm not totally on board with that and am looking for other options. We have about 2 tons of this stone left over.... I'm thinking we just add a stone "boarder" onto the steps and fill it in with sod.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/lauren0319/landscape%20redo/DSC04676.jpg (broken link)

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/lauren0319/landscape%20redo/DSC04675.jpg (broken link)

Second issue: Transition from flagstone & crushed granite to grass. Will the crushed granite serve as a barrier between the grass and stone or should we add something to keep the grass from growing into the flagstone?
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/lauren0319/landscape%20redo/DSC04673.jpg (broken link)

Third issue: (Yes, Dh will be removing all this debris. FUN!! Should we add bushes/landscaping to this side of the fireplace or just sod. It will be a fairly steep incline down.
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/lauren0319/landscape%20redo/DSC04674.jpg (broken link)

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/lauren0319/landscape%20redo/DSC04677.jpg (broken link)

Any other thoughts? Just looking for different options and opinions from the San Antonio folk!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio