Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 AM

10 posts, read 16,148 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are relocating. We have job offers in both areas. We are a couple in our early 30s, no kids yet. We like to bike, go out to dinner, would like to have shopping etc close. We are looking at San Antonio or Cedar Hill area south of Dallas. Any advice/thoughts?? We need to decide this week!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:12 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,828,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HmmUndecided View Post
Hi All,

My husband and I are relocating. We have job offers in both areas. We are a couple in our early 30s, no kids yet. We like to bike, go out to dinner, would like to have shopping etc close. We are looking at San Antonio or Cedar Hill area south of Dallas. Any advice/thoughts?? We need to decide this week!!!

Here you go..check it out:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Cedar Hill is a beautiful area. Its very hilly and there are alot of trees. There is also Joe Pool lake there which is very large and has a beach which is great in the summer.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 AM

810 posts, read 1,426,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Cedar Hill is a beautiful area. Its very hilly and there are alot of trees. There is also Joe Pool lake there which is very large and has a beach which is great in the summer.
And there is a new shopping center there as well.

Uptown Village at Cedar Hill - Home

Cedar Hill has a great place for mountain biking if you are into that. There are also some pretty nice and big houses in Cedar Hill. It's nice that you are in a hilly area and still close to D/FW.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
And there is a new shopping center there as well.

Uptown Village at Cedar Hill - Home

Cedar Hill has a great place for mountain biking if you are into that. There are also some pretty nice and big houses in Cedar Hill. It's nice that you are in a hilly area and still close to D/FW.
I would go so far as to say that I think Cedar Hill is in the prettiest area of DFW.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I would go so far as to say that I think Cedar Hill is in the prettiest area of DFW.
I would agree with that although there are certain areas in Fort Worth that are pretty as well.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM

10 posts, read 16,148 times
Wow thanks! I personally was leaning towards San Antonio but my husband thinks DFW area will have more to do and we really did like Cedar Hill when we drove around. Ah...it is such a big decision but I'm excited. Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
Yeah, San Antonio only has the Hill Country! I think if you do your research you will realize that this area has a lot more to do if you are the outdoorsy types. There are numerous places to bike here both on the road road and off, see the //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...in-biking.html thread for some great videos from 2DMAXX, and we've got Government Canyon, a 8624-acre state natural area that has some great trails. Plus, Austin is an hour north of here, and there are lots of great trails up there as well!

But San Antonio doesn't need selling like DFW does, if you ever have visited both places you would know it is a much better place to live.

The best of luck with your decision!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmmUndecided View Post
Wow thanks! I personally was leaning towards San Antonio but my husband thinks DFW area will have more to do and we really did like Cedar Hill when we drove around. Ah...it is such a big decision but I'm excited. Thanks again!
D/FW and SA is day and night. D/FW is a hugh metropolitan area with Dallas being the main city with tons of surrounding suburbs such as Cedar Hill. D/FW is home to lots of corporate headquarters and it is more urban and modern than SA. Also, flying out of D/FW airport will be much easier than SA as it is a main hub for flight connections. Cedar Hill is far enough from Dallas but close enough for you to go into town. D/FW is very diverse and it has a ton of things to do but less outdoor activities than SA. If you like dining out and shopping, then D/FW is the place to be.

SA is more laid back in general than Dallas and it is a big city with small town mentalities and slow to adapting. You should post the same question in the Dallas forum to get their feedback as well.

Last edited by Quattro72; 08-16-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
If Cedar Hills is where you will work, live and play, then that might be a good choice. Beyond that, there are some very rough areas between downtown Dallas and Cedar Hills. The areas with more crime in SA pale in comparison. But you are talking about a HUGE metropolitan area that extends all the way to Frisco to the north, Rockwall to the East and Fort Worth to the West. Traffic is a complete nightmare in the metroplex, I don't care what anyone says about traffic in SA. I've lived in both, and I cringe every time I have to make a trip up to DFW.

There is definitely a lot to do up there, but it takes an hour or two to get anywhere across the area. You might as well drive to the Hill Country or Austin from SA with much less traffic in less than an hour!

I left DFW and didn't realize how much I hated it up there until I came back to SA. But that's just little ole me.

Last edited by wCat; 08-16-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio