Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 AM

10 posts, read 41,170 times

Advertisements

For the first 7 years of my life, I lived in the Woods of Shavano and then Fair Oaks Ranch (until 1988), and I spent my adolescence in Highland Park, Dallas, but have been living in NYC for the past 10 years. I have not been back to San Antinio since the early 90s. My husband and I both really love NYC, but we're getting tired of the cost of living and relative low quality of life here and are seriously considering moving to Texas. I'm in my late 20s, my husband is in his late 30s. We are not planning on moving for about 5 years.

My husband is a born and bred New Yorker who has not lived anywhere else. He's never been to Texas and I know that it would be a huge culture shock to him. He is very laid back and actually one of the nicest people I've ever known. He is an HVAC mechanic/stationary engineer. I'm an attorney. I do want to take a trip with him to San Antonio to show him around.

Since I have not been to San Antonio, I'm wondering how its changed since then and if its still a desirable place to live. My husband and I are both city people. We're both Italian American non-practicing Catholics. I'm also wondering what kind of work my husband could find in San Antonio.
Sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to find a good fit for us. I love Texas and miss it everyday--its time to come home. We are looking for a wonderful life that is relatively hassle free and a safe place in a good school district to raise future children. But we also want to be in an exciting, interesting area. If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it! Please let me know if y'all need more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 AM

81 posts, read 232,784 times
We got a lot bigger, population backin 88 approx 900,000, today approx 1.3 Million I think back then any outside loop 410 was considered outskirts of San Antonio now it way past loop 1604, but we still have that Small Town Feel.

Oh yeah and it got a lot hotter!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,730,112 times
hvac mechanic = San Antonio's gold mine....we need A/C for this d*mn weather.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM

915 posts, read 1,906,836 times
"We are not planning on moving for about 5 years. "

Who knows what this place or NYC will be like in 5 years? NYers might actually wake-up and revolt against the womb to grave entitlements and all controlling government (cooking oils bans and soda taxes) that tax the citizens in to the poor farm. I lived there 10 years and LOVE the city, but passed on a recent opportunity to move back due to the latest tax hikes etc. Its a great city to visit a couple of weeks per year...

Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,783,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-n-Beer View Post
We got a lot bigger, population backin 88 approx 900,000, today approx 1.3 Million I think back then any outside loop 410 was considered outskirts of San Antonio now it way past loop 1604, but we still have that Small Town Feel.
To expand, the metro population in 88 was 1.3 million, it's now 2.1 million.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 AM

179 posts, read 469,472 times
As far as being an HVAC Engineer, he may want to look at Freidrich. I know they started here, as all A/C did, and have a big building off 410/35 on the east side of town.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM

18,144 posts, read 25,349,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaS View Post
He is an HVAC mechanic/stationary engineer
Should have no problem finding a job

Old 08-20-2009, 05:49 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,879,364 times
I hear Austin has really grown into a terrific city with lots of character....Just a suggestion but maybe you could expand your Texas targets to 3 cities and tour them all when you make your visit. After so many years, you may find another area better meets your needs. Good luck!
(Oh-- for more helpful information you might want to check the recent thread in this forum about positives and negatives of SA)

Old 08-20-2009, 08:00 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,657,176 times
I was in San Antonio until we moved for country living out a ways in 1989. We like to go into S.A. at least once a week, but usually are relieved to get home. So crowded now, traffic is bad! Too many areas that used to be country around S.A. are now city. The bulldozers do their thing and presto change-0....the trees and bushes and wildflowers disappear and are replaced by new subdivisions, roads and shopping. Developers are in charge of the city, always have been and always will be. Not many people in S.A. make a lot of money compared to other large cities, I guess that hasn't changed much. The area is in a drought that has set all kinds of new records, the city has water restrictions a lot as more as more of the aquifer water goes to more densely populated and outlying areas every year...there is less water to go around. But S.A. hasn't really lost all of that smaller-city charm and people are friendly (for the most part). You have to think about the heat, too. Could either one of you stand 50+ triple-digit high temps like this year has already had in S.A.? A/C can keep you fairly cool inside your house, a good car A/C can help. But you have to be outdoor sometime! You have to be able to tolerate the bugs, too. It is bad for the environment (and for you) to spray pesticides constantly...and doesn't get rid of all the bugs anyway. A person has to be tough to tolerate these extremes and be happy to live here in spite of it all. Myself, I hate cold and couldn't see myself living where it's cold. I tolerate heat fairly well, but this year with the extreme heat and the long-standing drought just getting worse than ever, it's got me down. Supposedly, El Nino is here and normal or better rainfall will be here soon. So far, I haven't seen any signs, but I'll just wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio