Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:45 AM

8 posts, read 43,012 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am looking for some reassurance from anyone who may be familiar with Boerne. My husband, kids (3 yrs and 3 month old), and I are moving to Boerne in the next few months. We're from the Bay Area in California and to say the least...I am a little nervous. I have heard all the great things about it...schools, people, etc. Anything else to add? Is SA an easy city to learn? I can't imagine moving out there and not knowing where the good "this" is and where the bad spots are, etc. Any help/advice would be so appreciated. I guess I'm a little scared.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 22,740 times
we moved here over a year ago from southern cali, but i have lived up in the bay area before too. its a little bit different here than california. but rest assured there are ALOT of us californians that made the move out here so your not alone. i was scared too but once i got here it was awsome. i would say it was fairly easy to learn the city and surrounding areas. i drive for work so it was a little easier for me since i was forced to learn the entire area real quick. pretty much the entire area is a huge waggon wheel circle as you can see when you look on maps. and nothing really goes in a straight line of a direction. but you can always use a turn around if you get lost or the access roads. LOYS of construction going on though due to the huge boom out here and they just were not ready for it. i do a few jobs up in Boerne a week and its pretty nice up there. not too far from the city , but yet far enough away. depends what part of boerne your moving too. some people will complain that this city is too slow , but i have never once been bored or tired of looking around and there is always something going on and people are way less rude than in cali , and i have had alot less stress here than i ever had in so cal or nor cal. but ofcourse its always scary and weird when you move that far away from where your at.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:34 AM

60 posts, read 221,283 times
Default Boerne is a great community

We moved to Boerne in '95 from the other Sunshine state Florida; Palm Beach Gardens. What's interesting in the mid-90's we saw Florida license plates everywhere in Boerne. The Boerne Star, local newspaper, wrote an acticle on the Florida waves to Boerne, about 7-8 years ago. Now I'm seeing California plates. The reason why we chose Boerne due to quality, people, education, etc. wanting something compariable to PBG, FL. I work in SA, and have a 45 minute commute, but like to come home to a small town atmosphere. However, it's a great feeling that SA is only 25-30 minutes away. Welcome, and enjoy.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:03 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,203 times
I am anxiously awaiting responses - we are looking seriously at moving to Boerne. We have a 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and 6 month old and currently live in the Twin Cities (MN). Where do you plan to live? I'd really like to buy a couple acres now and build on it when we're ready.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:50 PM

7 posts, read 25,759 times
Default Don't worry

I lived in the Bay area for 16 years, actually in Marin. My family lives here and when we couldn't afford the lifestyle, we moved here. The good news, our quality of life is better, we can afford to go on vacation, we go out to dinner more. The obvious bad news. The view: there is none. The air in the bay area and the majestic beauty of it all is good for the soul. Politically: not like the bay area. There is a lot more conservative thinking here and the diversity of thinking is non existant. This town thinks it's diverse but three ethnic groups does not make diversity. The traffic here is nothing nothing like the Bay Area. You have options and even though it's getting worse, it is nowhere near that horror that is the morning commute, that never ends in Northern Ca.
I miss San Rafael a lot. When I go visit, and see how stupid expensive it is, it makes it easier. So don't worry, take a deep breath and jump

Old 04-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate the encouragement. We'll be out this coming Friday to make an offer and the rest is a done deal I guess. I just hope I'll be able to find a mom's group of some sort of activities where I'll be able to meet some people

Thanks!!

Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 PM

36 posts, read 146,675 times
Moved to the NW SA area nd visit Boerne often (20 minute drive). While the bad is you will be saying goodbye to oceans, mountains, large trees, good weather, you will have a lot to gain.

Your quality of life will imporve. Cost of housing is so much better. The family is the center here and with young children you will appreciate this. My sister and I both living here, wish we knew what we know about the life style when our kids where young. Instead living in North LA where we found it manditory to have our children in private schools.

Join clubs and organizations and become a part of the life. You will be welcomed with open arms. Adapt the neighborly kind was of those born and raise here and enjoy a simpler happier way of life.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,385 times
Thumbs down MMM.. tough

I would definetly recommend San Antonio or in between San Antonio and Boerne, Boerne is a very small town the people are sometimes nice but with kids and school there I have a very different perspective.
I worked for 5 years in Boerne as I finished my college degree in the fast food restaurant business so I got alot of down perspectives on this side of the equation. the town is majorly elderly and the old timers are very nice and benign. but since there are no major programs for kids beside school and the town has little after school activity, Boerne is not the cup of tea for teenagers or little ones. I know alot of people that had recently moved from Cali to Boerne but kids have alot of problems adapting, it is majorly religious place and ideas are surely to conflict with outside people.
anyways I would keep out of Boerne kids there are just waiting for the opportunity to get up and leave from that place, I know I hated it and im from San Antonio.
It is a very closed society and it is hard to say that it could be good and bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareamom View Post
Hi!

I am looking for some reassurance from anyone who may be familiar with Boerne. My husband, kids (3 yrs and 3 month old), and I are moving to Boerne in the next few months. We're from the Bay Area in California and to say the least...I am a little nervous. I have heard all the great things about it...schools, people, etc. Anything else to add? Is SA an easy city to learn? I can't imagine moving out there and not knowing where the good "this" is and where the bad spots are, etc. Any help/advice would be so appreciated. I guess I'm a little scared.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:37 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,270 times
ggzz, may I ask when you lived in Boerne?

Old 04-29-2007, 10:11 PM

ggzz-- I kind of thought Boerne was a younger town. I think I may have read somewhere its avg age was 39 or something!?? Perhaps I misread. Does anyone else agree that it's 'majorly elderly'? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio