Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:10 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,248,008 times

Advertisements

Thanks. Good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 12:41 AM

48 posts, read 376,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr7025 View Post
I haven't seen these either. Maxus if you didn't like these just don't look @ the thread. I happen to like them.

Thanks RGV
chill, mjr 7025

they've been around other forums...just don't recall which ones.
may have been skyscraper page or skyscraper city.?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 28,663 times
Default live in the slums then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
"More people, more scars upon the land" - John Denver
I wonder what kind of neighborhood John Denver lived in. All you wacked out envirowackos can just stay inside the loop and live in one of Hillary's filthy, crowded, crime-ridden villages.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:33 PM

14 posts, read 28,663 times
Default Inside Loop 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Inside of 410 isn't run down. What kind of nonsensical hyperbole is that?
Inside Loop 410 is degenerating rapidly, although there a few enclaves that are acceptable, they're surrounded by lots of low income sub-divisions. The areas I speak of are South Side, West Side, East Side and some quadrants in the NW and NE. Not much left is there?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,416,853 times
is it 2010 already? wow..

Old 03-20-2010, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 15,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
doesn't matter who posted. I still think the housing will be slums in 20-30 years. La Cantera is different that will hold it's own. Stone Oak will look awful by the 2020's.
I think it might be sooner than 20-30 years. My wife and I have visited many homes in The Hills of Sonterra and The Oaks of Sonterra and only a handful of the homes were well kept. Urine marks from pets on the walls and carpet. Water stains on the carpet or walls. Very dirty. Poor taste in upgrades, like many differnt floor types on a single floor that look really bad. Many of the homes we saw were not aging well at all.

I am not a Stone Oak basher. I like the area. My wife and I are really surprised given the talk about Sonterra and the high HOA. My wife and I are wondering whether this is the purging taking place where people who should have never owned a home in the first place were allowed to own with low interest rates and exotic notes. Now, they cannot afford and must sell.

San Antonio is really a poor city for the middle class to find a place to live compared to say Austin or Houston. Many on this board will say there are many nice neighborhoods inside 1604. I would agree, but if schools are important, the options become limited. Lets take Deerfield or Inwood. Beautiful ... but the middle school and high school are less than good. Yes, Church Hill has a decent reputation, but for how long. Jackson and Eisenhower are two middle schools which feed into Church Hill, and I have not heard good things about either. Mission Ridge, Hidden Forest and Hollywood Park have the best elementary and middle school combination, but then there is Church Hill. Of course, the 09'er zip has it all with regard to location and schools, but the average middle class cannot afford the property tax let alone a note.

My wife and I have been looking for a new home for many months. We have plenty of money for a downpayment (>20%), but we cannot find a home (250k range). We have lived in SA for 4 years and like it. But, now the kids are school age and we are frustrated. We are thinking about moving to Austin or Houston as we feel there are better housing/school options.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,622,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking65 View Post
I wonder what kind of neighborhood John Denver lived in. All you wacked out envirowackos can just stay inside the loop and live in one of Hillary's filthy, crowded, crime-ridden villages.
Did you bump this thread just to post this?

And Hillary? Hillary built all the neighborhoods inside the loop? I did not know that! She must've been a talented child.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,054,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrm View Post
San Antonio is really a poor city for the middle class to find a place to live compared to say Austin or Houston.
This is the wisest thing I have heard on the forums lately. I will probably get bashed for it, but it is true. One of the problems is that there is a different definition here of what "middle class" is. No offense to anyone here, but if your family income is $35,000 per year and you are buying things on credit and do not pay that credit card off each month, you are not middle class.

Fire at will, if you must, but realize it is not an insult. There is wealth and poverty here, and most of us are bordering on one or the other.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 03-20-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 15,036 times
Just months of home searching and not finding anything. As you say, must take the price point above $300k to find something decent. However, the taxes really start to bite above $300k.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,725,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrm View Post

San Antonio is really a poor city for the middle class to find a place to live compared to say Austin or Houston. Many on this board will say there are many nice neighborhoods inside 1604. I would agree, but if schools are important, the options become limited. Lets take Deerfield or Inwood. Beautiful ... but the middle school and high school are less than good. Yes, Church Hill has a decent reputation, but for how long. Jackson and Eisenhower are two middle schools which feed into Church Hill, and I have not heard good things about either. Mission Ridge, Hidden Forest and Hollywood Park have the best elementary and middle school combination, but then there is Church Hill. Of course, the 09'er zip has it all with regard to location and schools, but the average middle class cannot afford the property tax let alone a note.
You may want to consider moving over a tad to NISD schools. There are plenty of great middle schools that feed into Clark and O'Connor within that price range that may fit within what you are looking for. But, you may have already looked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio