Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I don't think that's true of all of Rainbow Garden's plants (or other locally owned nurseries)....I do recommend supporting them, by all means, but they get a lot of their plants from Color Spot, Hines, Powell Plant Farms....the same places that sell to Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm sure the nurseries start a lot of their own plants, but if you compare a 3 gal. lantana pot at RG to one at Lowe's, they more than likely have the same sticker on the side stating who the grower is.

But, I do agree with supporting the locals, and they tend to be much more knowledgeable about the plants they do sell.
They do get many of their plants from the same growers. I check the labels because I want to buy plants that were grown in Texas, which most of the stores carry. I haven't had problems buying plants from Lowes or Walmart. I also buy from Rainbow Gardens and Arbolito's on San Pedro. I think you have to check the plant you buy to see if it is healthy and has been well cared for after arriving at the nursery. Rainbow Gardens on Bandera Rd seems to have the best cared for plants I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
Good Morning All,

I'm off today due to two Doctor's Appts, Oil Change (Shop not open on Sat.), etc.

This is not an advertisement so I hope it's not deleted. I returned from The Garden Center (Prue / Bandera, (in back of Walgreen's) They are having a 40% off sale on all plants, Palms are 50% off. The plants are beautiful,well cared for, and the Staff are GREAT. I kind of went crazy.

Don't worry Dear (My Wife) my purchases came from my allowance.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM

86 posts, read 174,959 times
Thanks for the info ! - I bought quite a few things last year during this same sale.....

Old 09-29-2009, 12:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Good Morning All,

I'm off today due to two Doctor's Appts, Oil Change (Shop not open on Sat.), etc.

This is not an advertisement so I hope it's not deleted. I returned from The Garden Center (Prue / Bandera, (in back of Walgreen's) They are having a 40% off sale on all plants, Palms are 50% off. The plants are beautiful,well cared for, and the Staff are GREAT. I kind of went crazy.

Don't worry Dear (My Wife) my purchases came from my allowance.
Thanks! I was going to post this last week and forgot to. The Garden Center is lovely and you're right...the plants are beautiful and the staff is very knowledgeable. They have saved the lives of 2 bogeys now....and I didn't even buy them there. I love going into their greenhouse towards the back...don't even know if I'm supposed to but no one has ever stopped me.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Thanks! I was going to post this last week and forgot to. The Garden Center is lovely and you're right...the plants are beautiful and the staff is very knowledgeable. They have saved the lives of 2 bogeys now....and I didn't even buy them there. I love going into their greenhouse towards the back...don't even know if I'm supposed to but no one has ever stopped me.
I have been by that place 1000's of times and I have never stopped in. I will have to check it out. Thanks!! That is the one with the chain link fence right? And they usually advertise using the fence?

Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I have been by that place 1000's of times and I have never stopped in. I will have to check it out. Thanks!! That is the one with the chain link fence right? And they usually advertise using the fence?
Yep, just behind/beside the Walgreen's at Bandera and Prue....cute shop inside and the outside is pretty--not as park-like as Rainbow Gardens, but the presentation is nice.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
As far as natives, being fond of native plants myself, from time to time I plan a day trip to Medina Garden Nursery (just past the river on the left if coming in from direction of Bandera) in the town of Medina and Natives of Texas also on Hwy. 16 but closer to Kerrville. I also like Rainbow Gardens, but the variety of natives are much better at the two nurseries I mentioned. BTW, while in Medina, I often stop by Love Creek Orchards (I think that's the name) and look around there also, maybe eat there also. They do have some trees and other plants in the front. I've never regretted going on these day trips...not even when I think about the money I spent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio