Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times

Advertisements

I think the underlying problem is that the question has been asked so many times before that even us So Cal transplants are getting tired of answering it. I mean really, what you need to do is come out and experience the city yourself. There is a reason that everybody and their mother is moving out here and it's not for the beaches. So come out, visit, talk to people face to face (lord forbid!), and experience it. If you don't like it no big. Really, SA is not for everyone. On the flip side, there sure are a lot of us moving out, and staying out here. That's a statement into and of itself.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times
I think that one's priorities change over time. Here is a description of my CA to SA process:

Stage 1: I knew from the beginning that I would never fit in with the people (as polite and warm as they are). I justified staying in SA with cheaper housing and nice weather. I started out by repeating the mantra that it's a big city so there MUST be some people with whom I'd share common values and experiences; it would just take some time.

Stage 2: Didn't meet my friends/soulmates. It's the only place in/on the three continents I've lived that I have not made friends of the locals (sub-Saharan Africa was a piece of cake by comparison, socially. At least SA has running water and electricity, though!!). My soul slowly started to dry up in my second year here, but I held out hope. My relatives moved here from CA too, and then back to CA because "life is too short" they said.

Stage 3: At three years, still haven't met my friends or dream man (due to cultural differences I won't mention again). I do have three ex-Californian friends, though, who all regret moving here too. Then it hit me. Any dream man of mine would not live in SA!! (It seems so obvious now. But to me it was a head-slapping "could have had a V-8" monent) My partner would be every bit as frustrated as me! We would just complain and be miserable in this culture TOGETHER, because even if we found each other and a few like-minded friends, we'd ALL be surrounded by a greater culture that we didn't resonate with. Sooooo, I have to move back to CA (finances be darned) or somewhere else more cosmopolitan. I need not just to find one or two like-minded people to build a nest with, but I've discovered how important it is to be surrounded by like-minded STRANGERS. I need to grocery shop among them, walk the streets among them, hang out in bars among them. This is much more important than I thought it was when I moved from CA. When you're in CA, you trick yourself into thinking that there must be like-minded people everywhere, and while there may be SOME in SA, there are not nearly enough to hit that critical mass for me. You are still wandering in public among those who march to a completely different, and non-Californian vibe. (By CA vibe, I'm NOT referring to the keeping up with the Jones' materialism that posters are trying to escape. I'm talking about that sparkle/energy/vibrancy that I have not enjoyed in this more laid back SA culture.)

Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 29,279 times
Ex Californian via Modesto California

We visited San Antonio in February and we loved it so much I decided to accept a job transfer. I relocated 3 weeks ago (family hostage to our house in Cali until it sells) so here are my honest opinions about the city.

- Home Prices, Food, People (at least the one's I work with are nice and not so politically correct like people in Cali are) and the Schools are a big plus!

Dislikes:

-Freakin Weather ( I was told by many people that Tornadoes do not occur in San Antonio...granted one has not touched down....but was I lied too....there are "Watches" every other day or so, I AM FREAKED OUT!
- Why does HEB rule San Antonio.....where did the competition go?
- Freeway System could use sme help....I can deal with the congestion but build some underpasses at every exit already!

Other than that I enjoy being here and can't wait for my family to share in the experience!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM

42 posts, read 210,507 times
Heres my two cents:

I have recently completed (survived) one year in San Antonio. I can honestly say that I enjoy it here very much but with a few headaches..

(1) The freeway system here is a joke and the one way access roads are also a pain in the a$$.

(2) SA Drivers, living in San Diego speeding there is a way of life. but man I have never seen so many aggressive and rude drivers. Seems like tailgating and sudden lane switching without using a turn signal is a way of life here.

(3) Tex Mex food... nuff said.

(4) H-E-B rules the land.. where did everyone else go?

(5) The DMV in TX is also so disconnected.. having to drive to two different places to get your tags or license.

I have other little things but they come with the environment.

Now the pluses I have for SA are far greater then what i wrote above..

All in all SA is a great place to live and raise your kids. The people in face to face meetings are polite/ very friendly..

Everyone is going to have issues where ever they move too.. either deal with it or dont.. I think someone on here said once "When in rome, do as the romans do".

Mig

Old 05-04-2007, 04:49 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVCA209 View Post
-Freakin Weather ( I was told by many people that Tornadoes do not occur in San Antonio...granted one has not touched down....but was I lied too....there are "Watches" every other day or so, I AM FREAKED OUT!
Unusual spring weather, very unusal. However, you really really have nothing to worry about. You'll learn that over time.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
You know, I believe that anyone who ELECTS to live here and then whine about it is free to live where they want.

I know I would not be here if it is not where I am HAPPY, mostly because life is too short.

I get the feeling that LOTS of the opinions that "I love SOCAL but it is too expensive" is really a cop out...LOTS of other folks make it there. VERY few people leave somewhere they really love by choice.

I, for one, am glad that this is NOT SOCAL...I would not want to live here if it was. To each his own, but I don't owe ANYONE an apology for living in the place that I LOVE living!

Give me a thunderstorm and tornado warning over earthquakes, fires and mudslides ANY day.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:07 PM

54 posts, read 249,098 times
Do I regret the move?
Not a bit.
San Antonio is a great city. Not only is it a great
place to live, but I think in the long run that it'll get better.

I certainly miss things about San Diego, but on the balance this was a very good move for us.

B.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 PM

85 posts, read 261,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Give me a thunderstorm and tornado warning over earthquakes, fires and mudslides ANY day.
One season of tornadoes, hurricanes and thunderstorms in Texas can wreak more havoc and claim more lives than 100 years of earthquakes, fires and mudslides in Ca.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayag_Mo_Gago View Post
One season of tornadoes, hurricanes and thunderstorms in Texas can wreak more havoc and claim more lives than 100 years of earthquakes, fires and mudslides in Ca.
I'll agree with that.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Default 1989 Earthquake - San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayag_Mo_Gago View Post
Well, considering that the Oct. 17, 1989 earthquake in Central California "killed 62 people throughout Central California, injured 3757 and left more than 12,000 homeless." (http://www.sfmuseum.net/alm/quakes3.html#1989), I doubt that this statement could be valid. This was just 1 earthquake. While I lived in CA, there were others. I remember being awakened by the mag. 6.7 Northridge earthquake on Jan. 17, 1994 that claimed 72 lives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_No...ge_Earthquake). Those are just 2 that happened while I lived in CA. And that's much less than "100 years", and way more devestation that has happened due to tornadoes, hurricanes and thunderstorms in Texas this season.

Not knockin' you guys, let's just don't make generalizations that can't be backed up with facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio