Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times

Advertisements

Since it sounds like you've got the money to make the purchase, it really depends on if it will be a primary residence and what sort of 'living experience' you're looking for. Sure, people have already mentioned the price difference in relation to square footage, but that doesn't really matter... The feeling you get in Stone Oak is seriously different that what you'd get in Southtown or Downtown proper.

Added, it's getting tougher to find a condo project that's available for sale rather than rent: So many places have decided to go rental due to the market tanking. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you're HAPPY with where you are versus looking at it strictly as 'how much money am I going to get out of this.' The days of a quick flip/investment are pretty much over (for awhile, at least). Concentrate on where you'd be most comfortable.

I just toured a penthouse at the new St Benedicts lofts on South Alamo. Great finish-out. Incredible views and lots of floor-to-ceiling windows. While it's not a 'for sale' property anymore, the rents are competitive in price.

I've heard mixed things about The Broadway (on Broadway in 09): The only facts I have to offer is that 6 close friends of mine had money in deposit and ended up getting what they could back. I was told what they promised and what would be delivered were two very different things. I've done a walk-thru of the property and, aside from an abysmal location, it's got a decent finish-out. I predict that most of the building will go high-end rental just to make sure they meet their monthly nut.

As for the direction of Southtown/Downtown, it continues to grow. New eateries, bars, nightspots, breakfast joints, etc are popping up on a monthly basis. I like that they're mainly of the home-grown variety. Also, you might want to look into what's available on SoFlo (South Flores Street). I heard that a couple of units just opened up (for sale) at Camp Street Lofts. Gorgeous place. I rented there for 6 months. Fantastic building. Very secure.

Good luck!

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
thanks....lots of the points made here are things I'm thinking....so I'm on the right track.

Continuing to rent is a very tempting prospect...

I do think the area will continue to grow and it's a risk to buy there now. But could be a very worthwhile risk.....because if I stay in Texas it is what I would want right now, and when I'm ready for a house I could likely rent it out or sell it. Most likely rent I thinking, not sure how big a hassle that would be.

thanks for the input. Im not the most savvy person on these matters but it seems like I've gauged the situation fairly accurately!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 AM

20 posts, read 47,859 times
I made the move to Southtown last year, purchased a condo and LOVE it! And you're right about the rental...I have other friends who bought condos and have a waiting list for renters. In the end, you won't make a ton of money if you expect to flip it in a year, but it can be a great investment for the long haul. It's awesome having the entire King William section of the riverwalk basically to yourself, and you can walk to anything downtown. In my opinion, living downtown/southtown is the best kept secret. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM

9 posts, read 22,701 times
Highly recommend. Look at Artisan Park. We live there and love it. Very convenient, excellent neighbors, and well priced for downtown living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: