Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM

91 posts, read 260,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Athletics generates thousands of dollars of its own revenue. I don't know of any schools in the city having success charging for math competitions, so maybe we should cancel those.

Great! than they can pay for their large salaries and huge stadiums with all that extra revenue! I will never understand why my tax money is being spent on giving children (minors) Brain Injuries?

Concussions extra dangerous to teen brains - CNN.com

High school athletes face serious concussion risks - USATODAY.com

Experts: High school football concussions merit more study - USATODAY.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/15/sp...ncussions.html

High School Sports Concussions - TIME

Ready for Some Football & and Concussions? - ABC News

And im not asking anyone else to pay for my daughters ballet lessons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA78228 View Post
Great! than they can pay for their large salaries and huge stadiums with all that extra revenue!
How do you know that they don't already do that? Maybe those Associate ADs and the stadiums' electric and water bills are paid from gate revenue?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM

91 posts, read 260,604 times
you're right, i dont know if the football revenues are payinig for all those aassistant athletic directors. But as a taxpayer (who doesn't like football) i just think its crazy the amount of money going into highschool football.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,551 times
hah the new neisd schedule is SOOO stupid
speaking as a high school student its rediculous
we all loved the block schdule
and a 5 minute passing period just makes me laugh, theres no way its going to happen.. say hello to a major increase in tardies
i could barly make it across the campus for some of my classes in 7 minutes
five minutes wont happen, they dont consider the crowds we have to get through, nor the stairs
the people who decided to switch back to the other schedule are idiots
really they are
this is the most idiotic decision i have ever heard of

Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,551 times
uhm YES!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Dude...get a grip on yourself. Used to do the 5-minute dash from one side of the school to the other without getting tardies. The block schedules proved too expensive - you know how that works, right? Mom and Dad get a tax bill each year they have to pay...as do your neighbors...to pay the salaries of those that teach you. When it gets too expensive, they have to cut/adjust - otherwise, the taxes could get to a point that YOU won't be able to afford them when YOU become a parent.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madanceh25 View Post
and a 5 minute passing period just makes me laugh, theres no way its going to happen.. say hello to a major increase in tardies
five minutes wont happen, they dont consider the crowds we have to get through, nor the stairs
really they are

Hmmmm...I'm thinking you may want to brush up on your spelling and punctuation before questioning the intelligence of other people.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 AM

905 posts, read 2,960,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madanceh25 View Post
really they are
I do wish they had kept the 7 minutes for passing periods, since my kids have reported to me the issues involved in getting around a large campus. My oldest said that the upper classmen are rushing to class, just as TexasRedneck says we used to, but the major problem she faced were the younger kids - mostly freshmen - who would congregate in the hall way and have 'social hour'. She said most of the kids would just push by them and be on their way.

Our campuses were not as huge as today's campuses are, too. The students have a lot more ground to cover, not to mention hitting the lockers if necessary, the bathroom, teachers that 'hold you over', etc.

madanceh25, the school district had to make changes due to funding problems. I agree that 5 minutes for passing will probably be a problem, but please don't refer to the school board members that voted for it as being idiots. They had some hard decisions to make, and none of the choices were easy. There were teachers that had to move to other schools to keep their jobs, and others that lost their jobs. We can be thankful that our school taxes didn't go up as well - school taxes that every property owner pays, which include your parents and folks that don't even have kids in school. Even if you rent, the tax payment is passed down to you in the rental payment.

I liked the block schedule, too. I think it was much easier for the students to keep up with four classes a day as opposed to seven, and I hope each school has made adjustments so that there will not be an overload of homework, tests, and projects all hitting at the same time. To see what Churchill HS is doing next year to help with the situation, check out their website. There is a WORD file that can be downloaded for reference. "2010-2011 Homework and Testing Schedule".

Churchill Chargers, San Antonio

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,558,546 times
The HS school day will be lengthened by 29 minutes (was 9am-4pm, going to be 8:45 am-4:14pm), presumably to make the 7 period day work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio