Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:17 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
I don't follow the analogy. Slowly rising costs over time do not cause an "emergency". A district in a slowly evolving financial emergency wouldn't build a 50 million dollar high school (or whatever they cost these days), court teachers with the highest salaries and renovate every other school.

To follow your analogy, this is more the $30,000 millionaire with a huge mortgage he couldn't afford who had his ARM reset, had his payment triple, and was then "surprised" it happened who was planning to flip it for a profit in 4.5 years.

I do agree, however, that it does not change what you have to do now--it is what it is--but my concern is that the inputs to a school district's funding are hardly volatile enough to make the (undeniable, actual) "emergency" excusable.
but you have to remember that a lot of the money given to school districts has ties attached to it...can only be spent on certain things. New schools are from bond money...totally different can of worms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
At the electives fair booths, we got the hardest sell from language teachers and technology teachers. I wouldn't like to see either of those electives options go away.
That is interesting. This "emergency" seems to revolve around staff at the high school level.

Just guessing..
It appears that the district has a lot of tenured elective teachers. But due to the new 4x4 Law (4 years math 4 years science) the amount of students enrolling in electives is probably falling. I wonder if the only way the district can have a reduction of tenured personnel is by having an "emergency"?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Well, there is no such thing as tenure. With the number of classes that each student can take reduced from 8 to 7, then, yes, the electives will be the classes to be cut.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Tenure is what they use for university professors. For secondary schools and below, you get probationary contract the first three years. Then continuing contract after that.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
I seem to remember my teacher friend telling me that the teachers have seniority within their own high school department first, then within the district. If art teacher Jones had the lowest seniority in Johnson High School's art department, but had more seniority over teacher Smith in Madison High School's art department, Jones would move to Madison to teach art and Smith would move to which ever slot was available, if any. I think this is how the teachers were shuffled around prior to the beginning of the current school year.

The 7 period day coupled with the 4X4 graduation plan does restrict what electives the kids can take. The kids that are not in the 2 period classes (band, etc) are the ones that lose. Band kids will lose one band period, but they still have band + one period of electives or 2 1/2 year electives or required subjects (health, communications).

So, my son is mad because he will lose his 1/5 hr band class every day and my daughter is mad because she is taking a career/tech class that is a two period class next year and won't be able to take an extra elective. Then they both are mad because they like the A/B schedule.

My question is, what's going to happen when teachers don't coordinate their tests and the kids end up with 4 major tests on one day. Doesn't make for a happy household the night before. The administrator said that the teachers would have to work on coordinating this and other issues, but ......... okay, I'll be positive and think that things will work out okay. Besides, what choice do we really have?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 PM

160 posts, read 233,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I seem to remember my teacher friend telling me that the teachers have seniority within their own high school department first, then within the district. If art teacher Jones had the lowest seniority in Johnson High School's art department, but had more seniority over teacher Smith in Madison High School's art department, Jones would move to Madison to teach art and Smith would move to which ever slot was available, if any. I think this is how the teachers were shuffled around prior to the beginning of the current school year.

The 7 period day coupled with the 4X4 graduation plan does restrict what electives the kids can take. The kids that are not in the 2 period classes (band, etc) are the ones that lose. Band kids will lose one band period, but they still have band + one period of electives or 2 1/2 year electives or required subjects (health, communications).

So, my son is mad because he will lose his 1/5 hr band class every day and my daughter is mad because she is taking a career/tech class that is a two period class next year and won't be able to take an extra elective. Then they both are mad because they like the A/B schedule.

My question is, what's going to happen when teachers don't coordinate their tests and the kids end up with 4 major tests on one day. Doesn't make for a happy household the night before. The administrator said that the teachers would have to work on coordinating this and other issues, but ......... okay, I'll be positive and think that things will work out okay. Besides, what choice do we really have?
Uh, home school?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
Uh, home school?

LOL! Actually, at this point in their education, no. When they were younger, they were in private school and probably would have loved to be home schooled. Now, they would really be mad if I pulled them out of school!!

At any rate, there are those that can't afford to either home school or send their kids to private schools.

By 'what choice', I meant that the school district didn't give voters the option to decide.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
If they have to put four tests in one day, just make the tests easier or make them open book. Problem solved.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 AM

97 posts, read 340,763 times
From what I heard...the district considered going out to the people and allowing them to vote on a rate hike to keep the A/B schedule. However, the reason they decided not to do that is that it would have been extremely risky and would have really put them behind the eight ball. If it had gone to the public and the public decided against it, they would have spent significant time and money trying to push it through putting them in an even worse situation than they already are in.

Given the circumstances, I believe the district has it's hands tied. They are caught between a rock and a hard place. They can't go to the public because of the huge risk it possess and the state is still witholding back their monies. With that, they needed to cut somewhere. As much as I don't like the situation, I understand where the district is coming from.

I think the real problem, just my opinion, is the cap the state has set out on how much a district can recieve from it's consituients based upon their tax. We wouldn't be in this problem if that wasn't imposed. Then again, I'm sure if it wasn't imposed, we would hear about something elsewhere that isn't working.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 AM

52 posts, read 125,997 times
This is really tough on Band... for bands to be competitive on the state level they have to have the rehearsal time during the school day. UIL limits time outside of school to 8hrs per week. This change cuts the in-school rehearsal time in half. This is no bueno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio