Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:24 AM

417 posts, read 983,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Chicca that was very thoughtful of you!

Thing is, when I go to Hungary to meet up with my boyfriend I hope he doesn't take me on a two-hour drive for TexMex.

You didn't comment on her reaction to it, tho...or did I miss something?
Ah... I'm not a guy...the person is I went with; is a ,girl, friend of mine...she's hungarian and she was hoping to meet up with people of her roots..both owners are hungarian. So the analogy is not the same.

I was accompanying her so she wouldn't take the 2 hour drive alone. Taking also, in to account. There is NO..I repeat NO hungarian resteraunts closer. So...if you go to Hungary my dear...and meet up with your boyfriend and he takes you to a TexMex that is two hours away and its the only close good one...then I'd be kissin' his butt.

My friend loved the place and she plans on a trip back. She had a hungarian dish that was wonderful. So my two hour drive was well worth it!!!

Hey Mad..we might try that other place looks like its a little closer...I'm always up for looking for a good snitzle...I sent the link to Monica and we'll see if she wants to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
oh, Hungarian wines are great!! The white dessert wines like Tokaji Aszu ( watch the number of stars/puttonyos)
or dry red like Gal Tibor, Bull Blood are real excellent
Well...we had a Tokaji house wine..semi sweet. I'm not a wine conneseur (spell check) so...we got a complementary Tokaji dessert wine that was real sweet and I believe that was a 3 stars. I don't like dry wine *grimmace* Actually...I'm a Boone's Farm..wine girl I guess you'd say..I'm a cheap date. They didn't have Spatlese..that's my favorite German wine.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM

61,854 posts, read 87,314,674 times
so, Chicca... you went with your Hungarian friend to eat in a European Bistro owned by Hungarians and ate... German food???
Didn't they had anything "Hungarian" on the menu??
BTW what did your friend ate? ( next time make picture, girl - we are just a bunch of curious people here)

Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, there was a Tex-Mex restaurant called Texas in Sarajevo back in 1998 when I was there. I still have the business card for the place. As best I can recall, the food wasn't too bad...
Does any of this look familiar?

Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-dsc00911.jpg

Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-dsc00912.jpg

Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-dsc00913.jpg

Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-dsc00914.jpg

Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-dsc00915.jpg

Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,005,065 times
I could've sworn it was down a narrow street and that the entrance was at the corner of a building. You entered and walked down steps to your right, then the restaurant was 'L' shaped with the bar to the left and tables to both sides. I will dig out the card and get the address off of it, plus I am pretty sure SilverCreek78250 ate there with us so maybe he remembers something about it...

Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
Hey Mad..we might try that other place looks like its a little closer...I'm always up for looking for a good snitzle...I sent the link to Monica and we'll see if she wants to check it out.
Most definitely let us know how it is if you go, that's a mighty big boast and had I not been in my usual shorts and fleece jacket, we might have tried it. But it appears to be a more sophisticated kind of place and I just wasn't up to the dress code...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 AM

The owner of that place was from Spain and it was the only "Mexican" food in Sarajevo in 2005. There was also a chinese place, but after tasting the "spring rolls" in the chow hall, I decided Bosnia wasn't the best place to translate chinese food into something you'd actually want to eat. That and the tuna pizza were definitely the worst two. Tons of shnitzel, though, but it was also almost always veal.

edit- it was down close to the library, on the river side of whatever that something something ica place was called where all the shops were. It was also near muj street. Not sure if they called it that back when you were there, but it was a good place to find Iranian stuff. Go figure...

Last edited by rd2007; 01-11-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
so, Chicca... you went with your Hungarian friend to eat in a European Bistro owned by Hungarians and ate... German food???
Didn't they had anything "Hungarian" on the menu??
BTW what did your friend ate? ( next time make picture, girl - we are just a bunch of curious people here)

The menu was leaning toward German. Monica complained about that a bit; that there weren't more Hugarian dishes. I'm guessing it was because that's what the locals (more germans or german familiar folkes) eat. However, Monica had Stuffed Cabbage and she was very please with what she had...we shared ....The stuff cabbage was a little different for me ...and that was because when I ate it ..it was made by a polock. They don't usually serve theirs with a sauce like the Hugarians do. The sauce was a paprika sauce...they made theirs with sauerkraut and it had a drizzle of sour cream on top. I was surprised they didn't have gyspy snitzle. They had weiner and jager snitzle..and the ham snitzle. They were prepping for a wedding that evening and they had no brochen. All I saw for dessert was cheese cake..although they had a list of desserts...I wanted to try their Black Forest cake which was listed as made with cherry liqoeur, to me..would be too rich. I didn't see it so I didn't ask. They played a mix of music but lots of it..per Monica was Hungarian Gypsy music. It was elegant but comfortable. The atmosphere was loverly. Bath room was small (two stalls) but clean.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

RD

The Tex-Mex place we went to was allegedly run by the local Mafia. It was considered safe to eat there as the place was well "protected." Of course, this was a while back.

I also remember a Burger King knock-off place that we never had the guts to try. That was probably a wise decision...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM

sorry to hijack this thread, but Hungary and Bosnia are right next to each other, share a similar language, and a lot of food.
Here's a further back shot of where that Mexican restaurant is. Note the library off to the right.
Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-dsc00919.jpg
and the infamous Hamey King aka Not Burger King
Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-burger-king-not.jpg
Also, a little bit of California on the way to Doboj
Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-dsc00581.jpg
To make it a little more on topic. Some food from a place in Srebrenica.
Hungarians Moving to San Antonio seeking other Hungarians-resize-img_01651.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio