Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 18,470 times

Advertisements

I need to find an apartment quickly. But I have a broken lease (total cost almost 3k) the apartment will not call me back to try to set up payment arrangements and the collection agency just wants it all. Most apartment complexes at least want a letter saying that I am paying it off.

I am so lost. I have tried to use an apartment locator with little luck and the few places they did find wants me to pay at 1k deposit... which is understandable but I dont have that. I have a little one to support and have only had my job about 3 months after being unemployed for 9 months.

Any help anyone can give will be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2late2process View Post
I need to find an apartment quickly. But I have a broken lease (total cost almost 3k) the apartment will not call me back to try to set up payment arrangements and the collection agency just wants it all. Most apartment complexes at least want a letter saying that I am paying it off.

I am so lost. I have tried to use an apartment locator with little luck and the few places they did find wants me to pay at 1k deposit... which is understandable but I dont have that. I have a little one to support and have only had my job about 3 months after being unemployed for 9 months.

Sounds like you'll have to go with someone that's just renting out one unit or so...stay away from the big complexes that are definitely going to check up on your credit etc....try Craigslist and good luck.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/apa/

Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,615 times
Typically, collection agencies try to use scare tactics and often play a rude game to see if you'll just give in. Remember you are talking to "an idiot in a cubicle" as Dave Ramsey likes to say. Do yourself a huge financial favor and simply listen to Dave Ramsey on AM 550 from 1-4PM M-F or listen to his show on his website www.daveramsey.com (in case the link get removed here, it is his name dot com) and go to the archives link. Back to the collection agency...insist on talking to a supervisor, knowing that they too will try to play hard ball with you. Let them no that you do not have the money but will set up payments. If you can scrape up say $1,500 then offer that to pay it off in full. Get it in writing before you pay that X dollars will be considered paid in full. Pay only with a cashier's check or money order. Do not give them ANY electronic access to your account. If the apartment is nearby, I would visit them in person with a check in hand for part of the amount if you can come up with it. If not, visit them and see if they will set up payments. Depends on if they have actually sold the debt to a collection agency. You owe the money and should pay your bills but don't give in to the pressure scare!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
You would think that the previous apt complex would have been a little understanding. $3000 is a lot of money to owe for breaking a lease(presuming it's for early termination and not damages). Did they try to mitigate the amount owed by re-leasing your unit? That may all be water under the bridge at this point. Maybe you can find someone who already has an apt and sublet a room?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
You would think that the previous apt complex would have been a little understanding. $3000 is a lot of money to owe for breaking a lease(presuming it's for early termination and not damages). Did they try to mitigate the amount owed by re-leasing your unit? That may all be water under the bridge at this point. Maybe you can find someone who already has an apt and sublet a room?
Good point RGJ. How was the $3,000 calculated? Penalty plus one month's rent; rent for the remainder of the lease... Did you give notice at all? What did the written lease say about ramifications if you break the lease?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Good point RGJ. How was the $3,000 calculated? Penalty plus one month's rent; rent for the remainder of the lease... Did you give notice at all? What did the written lease say about ramifications if you break the lease?

I did give them notice. I told them when I lost my job that I might have some problems paying. They knew I was preggo too. When I moved out I told them that I thought it was better to avoid an eviction and just agree to move out early (2 months early). Part of my contract says that I have to pay back any 'specials' that I received upon move in. Plus an early termination fee. The rent was only 500/mo.

The apartment complex wont tell me if someone moved in after I did or not before my lease was up. I am sure that they did. The apartments are inexpensive and in a good area.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2late2process View Post

I would find out for certain that the debt was sold to the collection agency or if they are collecting on behalf of the apartment complex company. You should have received a letter from the company running the complex that your debt was sold or assumed by the collection agency.

You mentioned the complex wasn't returning your calls. You may consider going there in person and ask to speak with someone.

It's also good to know your rights under Texas law regarding collection agencies:

Texas Attorney General

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
RGJ

Somethings amuck here...If your rent was only $500 per month and you had two months left on the lease, that would only be $1000.00. with no early termination fee or specials that you may have received. That doesn't consider any deposit. Next time this credit agency calls you and as much as I'm not in favor of bringing in the lawyers, I would inform them that you are pursuing legal action against the apts and if they call again, they will be included. You really should talk to an attorney or legal aid of some sort. This sound totally wrong.

Last edited by RGJ; 10-28-2009 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM
RGJ

Also, you might get in contact with the Attorney General's office; San Antonio Board of Realtors and the Texas Real Estate Commission....just some thoughts.....

Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help... I will try to fix things with them but I still need a place now... but thanks for you help guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: