Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 AM

385 posts, read 627,364 times

Advertisements

Good riddance. As a south-sider, it felt like we were thrown a bone with that bookstore and the powers that be felt that we would be appeased with it. Let's be honest...Waldenbooks (at least the one in South Park Mall) was a piece of crap compared to any Barnes & Nobles or Borders. I third the idea of putting a B&N on SE Military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,099,242 times
I used to love WALDENBOOKS in the 80s! Sadly, "new" bookstores are on the way out and may never come back. Most of the people who used to support them now get new books online from ebaY, Amazon, Half.com or others. The large sellers that remain make most of their money from magazines, music/movies and coffeshops.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,302,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
Good riddance. As a south-sider, it felt like we were thrown a bone with that bookstore and the powers that be felt that we would be appeased with it. Let's be honest...Waldenbooks (at least the one in South Park Mall) was a piece of crap compared to any Barnes & Nobles or Borders. I third the idea of putting a B&N on SE Military.
Agreed. I dont think that was much of a "bookstore" to begin with. Most of the stuff was overpriced and it was so cramped in there. It just couldnt compete with the BN and Borders, even if it meant driving to the NSide just for the "ambiance." Plus they didnt even have a Starbucks?!?!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,153,291 times
I heard it pointed out today that when that Waldenbooks store opened in South Park Mall, the South side did not yet have Wal-Mart, Target or Sam's Club. Those are all places there which offer plenty of books for sale. South Siders aren't being shut out of the opportunity to buy books close to home. They actually have more choices than they did when Waldenbooks opened.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,139,540 times
Overall, purchasing used books online and doing swap clubs or rental plans is a hard deal to beat with new books at a bricks and mortar store. In other words you can sometimes get 2 or 3 used books online for the price of a new one at a local store. Times are definitely changing, for the better and not so better.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,056,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I used to love WALDENBOOKS in the 80s! Sadly, "new" bookstores are on the way out and may never come back. Most of the people who used to support them now get new books online from ebaY, Amazon, Half.com or others. The large sellers that remain make most of their money from magazines, music/movies and coffeshops.
Yeah, they had a location at either North Star Mall or Central Park Mall back in the 80s, too. That was back in my high-school heydays and the place was cool because they had a plethora of magazines, to include Playboys right there on the shelf and the guy who worked Saturday mornings never cared if we underagers peeked.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,731,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I heard it pointed out today that when that Waldenbooks store opened in South Park Mall, the South side did not yet have Wal-Mart, Target or Sam's Club. Those are all places there which offer plenty of books for sale. South Siders aren't being shut out of the opportunity to buy books close to home. They actually have more choices than they did when Waldenbooks opened.
But if they need to get speciality books- say about creating businesses, test prep, gardening, learning a new language etc. - there is nowhere near as big of a selection at those locations. I regularly ran in to B&N to grab a test prep book (GRE, SAT, AP, etc). The southside had that small luxury (all though I'm not sure how good of a specialty selection they had) and now they don't.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 AM

278 posts, read 625,880 times
I just bought several used and new books from Amazon for .01 each (plus $3.99 S/H) No B&M can touch that.

-Steve

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM

898 posts, read 2,898,965 times
Default The only bookstore on the southside closing?

I just now heard about this. I can still remember seeing people complaining on the news that the southside had no bookstores, and now this.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,333,746 times
Perhaps when the A&M campus really gets rolling, a Barnes and or a Borders might be attractive to the companies.

Near UTSA, there are 3 BNs and one Borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio