Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wish San Antonio had a bigger skyline?
No,its just fine now. 27 28.13%
Yes,tall sleek skyscrapers like Houston,LA,Dallas,etc. 43 44.79%
No,but maybe a little more newer low rises. 16 16.67%
San Antonio has a skyline?!?! 14 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
I love Houston's skyline. The best part is that it's ever changing. Not like Manhattan mind you, but still, very nice.

BTW, SA doesn't have any skyscrapers today, a skyscraper is a building 50 stories or taller, I don't think SA has any over 40. And someone mentioned the price of land being a detriment to building skyscrapers... Huh? That's why skyscrapers are built, when land gets expensive, cities start building up. Do you think land in SA is more expensive than NYC or Houston? They're building up.
I think that's the point he was making. Land is not as expensive or hard enough to find to force this economy to build up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Still, it would be nice for SA to have a few more talls so we wouldn't have to keep having this discussion.
Haha....never thought of it that way...I wonder how many it would take....and how tall is tall?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I think that's the point he was making. Land is not as expensive or hard enough to find to force this economy to build up.
Again as mentioned I think, turn USAA or Time Warner on their sides, and presto......skyscraper.....BTW, Since when does a skyscraper make a city?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Again as mentioned I think, turn USAA or Time Warner on their sides, and presto......skyscraper.....BTW, Since when does a skyscraper make a city?
I have no idea. You'll have to ask the few members who keep bringing this very tired subject back.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 PM

34 posts, read 116,259 times
Skyline? What skyline?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:42 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
When did clothes make the woman?? Like it or not its all perceptions of the muscle your city has.

Paris has tons of new Skyscrapers

Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
You're absolutely right (people are going to start thinking I have a man-crush on TxHwyMan).
That's OK-- I have one on you, too.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
When did clothes make the woman?? Like it or not its all perceptions of the muscle your city has.
Strictly your opinion.....like it or not. Not even sure what "muscle" means in a city's skyline.

A lot of those "muscled" skyline cities are in serious economic shambles right now....and most likely trying to fill up those hollow shells.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:15 PM

62 posts, read 143,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post

Paris only has two structures taller than 12 stories- and I think it's "economic clout" is just fine.
With all due respect, the "skyscrapers" of Paris are located in La Defense - a business district about 7 miles north of the Arc De Triomphe. It has several buildings over 600 feet tall, and will have 6 buildings over 1000 ft tall by 2015. It is France's "Canary Wharf", and indicative of an expansive metro area that has no analogue to San Antonio real estate or development.

As far Panama City - we are comparing an oddity there. Panama City has a higher per capita GDP than San Antonio (look it up) and is a very important trade and banking center for the region. It also has an astonishingly high demand for hotels and urban residences. Rather like Hong Kong or Singapore, it will defy the expectations we have for "tall buildings".

You are right, though - the economic clout of a city is not directly linked to "tall buildings". God knows I am preaching to the choir with you, but I am sure we all recognize that "skyscrapers" are not built to assuage civic pride but rather to provide office space. For any number of reasons, they are literally not on the horizon for San Antonio. Who cares. They are a pain in the arse to work in, anyways. Much like a light rail, monorail, an NFL team, IKEA or Trader Joe's, "skyscrapers" should not make you feel better about your city. If you feel like those things are so critical to someone's quality of life, you can have them all..... in Detroit.

Last edited by RonLumbergh; 11-20-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
San Antonio doesn't really have a need to build skyscrapers downtown. Will it ever, I don't know. I do know that it's a good thing the city doesn't just build for pride like RonLumbergh said because then downtown could have several skyscrapers that are all condos and hotels and really no purpose. It's better to lure a business downtown and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio