Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsagift View Post
I work in a Walmart Super Center. I have heard that we are phasing out fabrics and related sewing items (must mean patterns for sure). I too mourn the new craft area void of things I need for crafts I do. It is over 90 miles to a fabric/craft store. We never had a fabric store here. K-Mart left many years ago as well as Ben Franklin store. We don't get to the San Antonio much - maybe twice a year and don't have time to go to fabric/craft stores every visit. Will be a bad thing for me just when I was planning on getting new sewing machine, fabrics, etc to sew when I am retired to keep me and my mind active. We all will miss going to Walmart for getting fabric/craft items and groceries at same place.
I feel for you. I feel bad about griping when Joann and Hancocks moved 20 minutes away. It looks like you will have to either make the trip or choose to buy online. I can't believe Walmart would make such a dumb decision as to phase out fabrics in areas where there are no other fabric stores, but I guess it's just an example of a store taking over and then making changes that are detrimental to the community. No wonder some communities don't want Wallyworld to move in. I miss the fabrics section our WM used to have, too. They often times would have fabric selections that you couldn't find at the other two retail stores. Maybe someone in your area will recognize the deficiency and start an independent store. Does Del Rio have fabric stores? Oh, wait, it's about 70 some odd miles away, right? Still quite a drive.

If you have to buy online, check out Joann Fabrics. I've never purchased fabric from them, but I have bought tons ( )of scrapbook paper. Handcock Fabrics is another, but I've never bought from them online. eBay has extensive fabric selections, too, and you might find something cheaper or something you like better there. Also, try joining or perusing a fabric message board and see if you can pick up any ideas from the other posters. I know that there are many scrapbookers that do not live within 100 miles of a scrapbook store, and they have helpful advice to those in the same predicament.

Good luck. I really do feel for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 AM

102 posts, read 265,945 times
Theres a K-Mart in Killeen and the one in the Corpus Christi area is in Portland.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
They're in the Valley too...Brownsville & Harlingen. (Also El Paso & Laredo)

Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM

176 posts, read 357,551 times
The air the commercials to get you to shop at Kmart.com. I still get emails from Circuit City, and CompUSA.

Stores that were once in Texas such as K Mart, Service Merchandise, CompUSA, Circuit City can be found online.

CompUSA, and Circuit City online stores are owned by the same company. Mexican Telephone Tycoon Carlos Slim sold the CompUSA naming rights to the Circuit City.

Plus Sears sells K Mart brands in their stores.

Once the economy gets better don't be suprised if Sears will copy Target with selling groceries. A grocery store in the mall, again? Maybe.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
4 year old thread. all k-marts are gone from SA.

/can has closed thread now?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
The closest Kmart to SA is in Killeen near Ft Hood, if I'm not mistaken...144 miles from downtown SA.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The closest Kmart to SA is in Killeen near Ft Hood, if I'm not mistaken...144 miles from downtown SA.
Laredo's K-Mart is about the same, if not closer.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
The few KMarts around probably aren't that great. Nothing like even a standard Walmart.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
4 year old thread. all k-marts are gone from SA.

/can has closed thread now?
No. We'll leave it open for the next K-Mart fan.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,011 times
The old kmart on IH 35 and Oconner should be a walmart or HEB plus...I wish they would sell that and turn it into something..

or how about the one on 410 south by marbach? it looks like crap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio