Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:44 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I was telling tgannaway89 about not meeting anyone born and raised in S.A. before.
Strange coincidence, majormadmax, 1981. Where's the smiley with the weird boogeley eyes when you need it?
Skeet

Yeah, I know you were replying to tgannaway89; but I thought it rude that someone introduces themselves without someone else acknowledging it!

I would say SA probably has a very large number of "transplants," but that only proves that this is such a great city. Everyone--from the "natives" to those who move here later--are welcomed and feel at home here. My first visit to this fair city wasn't under the best of circumstances, nor was the second (I returned in 1987 for AFROTC Field Training), and even when we moved here in 1999 I wasn't overly thrilled with the place (because we just finished four wonderful years in Germany), but within a year I did a 180° turnabout after getting out and seeing and experiencing the town and meeting its inhabitants. We later moved away for three years (to Belgium) but it was during that absence that we realized how much we missed it here. So, when the time came to find a place to settled down; it was a simple decision and one we are constantly glad we made...

Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times
I started going to a gym on the southeast side since September and I've met a bunch of transplants. None in the military.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:09 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Just throwing it out there...the majority of my best friends are born and raised San Antonians. I actually find it odd when I meet someone my age who isn't a born and bread San Antonian.

I wasn't born here, but moved here when I was 3/4. So that's about as San Antonian as you can get. We moved here in '89 when my dad got a job for Builders Square and haven't left since (does that say something about the city itself?). Anyway.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Just throwing it out there...the majority of my best friends are born and raised San Antonians. I actually find it odd when I meet someone my age who isn't a born and bread San Antonian.

I wasn't born here, but moved here when I was 3/4. So that's about as San Antonian as you can get. We moved here in '89 when my dad got a job for Builders Square and haven't left since (does that say something about the city itself?). Anyway.
That's very interesting considering you live in 78249. That is the same zip code as UTSA which (aside from the military or medical center) attracts the largest number of transplants.

I am glad to see that there are still homegrown folks living in this town.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
That's very interesting considering you live in 78249. That is the same zip code as UTSA which (aside from the military or medical center) attracts the largest number of transplants.

I am glad to see that there are still homegrown folks living in this town.
Is that a fact or an observation (not that I'm arguing, just wondering what you think.)? And it may just be more of an experience. And that's what makes San Antonio San Antonio, different experiences.

I'm more familiar with the 78249/78230 area that blurs right by Clark than the middle 78249 area by UTSA where things are newer. So, perhaps that's part of it.

(And i know you know this...) It's an older area where people have been around since the 70s/80s before everything starting booming in the early 90s (wow...before there was a Pizza Hut on the corner of Parksite and De Zavala!)

The more UTSA area -closer to Prue and Bandera yeah probably is more transplanty..but I don't doubt that there are plenty of younger couples that will have kids that will grow up exactly like I did.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Is that a fact or an observation (not that I'm arguing, just wondering what you think.)? And it may just be more of an experience. And that's what makes San Antonio San Antonio, different experiences.

I'm more familiar with the 78249/78230 area that blurs right by Clark than the middle 78249 area by UTSA where things are newer. So, perhaps that's part of it.

(And i know you know this...) It's an older area where people have been around since the 70s/80s before everything starting booming in the early 90s (wow...before there was a Pizza Hut on the corner of Parksite and De Zavala!)

The more UTSA area -closer to Prue and Bandera yeah probably is more transplanty..but I don't doubt that there are plenty of younger couples that will have kids that will grow up exactly like I did.
Of the 30,000 students at UTSA more than 50% are from outside San Antonio. That is at least 15,000 students from outside the region. Some 8,000 of those students live in the 78256 or 78249 area codes (notice all the new student housing?). Of the 2,500 faculty it is safe to assume at least half are from a different region. I have attended the school for 3 years and have not been taught by a professor that was from the area. I have only met a handful of students that even graduated high school in the area. That is just measuring CURRENT students and staff.

I know the medical center and our military bases have brought in A TON of transplants.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Of the 30,000 students at UTSA more than 50% are from outside San Antonio. That is at least 15,000 students from outside the region. Some 8,000 of those students live in the 78256 or 78249 area codes (notice all the new student housing?). Of the 2,500 faculty it is safe to assume at least half are from a different region. I have attended the school for 3 years and have not been taught by a professor that was from the area. I have only met a handful of students that even graduated high school in the area. That is just measuring CURRENT students and staff.

I know the medical center and our military bases have brought in A TON of transplants.

No doubt. UTSA does account for a great majority of the population of 78249, 78256, etc. But, don't students only count if their permanent address is in that area? I know when i went to college I never changed my address. That's neither here nor there, though.

Anyway. There is a graph in all the CD zip code profiles, Years households moved into home...the great majority of homeowners moved to 78249 in the mid 90s (close to 2,8000 white families)..just a figure and that was the largest number). And I'm sure all this data is available for all zip codes in the city. I bet a lot of those families had kids (my sister was born in '91 and her friends have little brothers and sisters)....no I know a lot of those families had kids a ton of schools have been built since. To add to that they only show 461 students in dorms (that's a small chunk of the population) Anyway. Now my tangent is way off topic now. Anyway. Back to this nasty topic.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 12-27-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: added link and UTSA info

Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 PM

454 posts, read 688,910 times
Coming back to this topic...

I'm not going to say anything else bad about San Antonio. Matter of fact, Im just going to try to stay as positive as possible. Why? Because Im moving tomorrow so I dont have a choice LOL.

All I know, is I need to get away from this Dallas. I cannot take this place any longer. Last night, me and a friend went out to Dallas and Fort Worth and I thought, "how disgusting. Why am I here?" I had a long chat with an older friend who lived in all the big cities in Texas and he specifically told me s.a. is 1 of the better options.

Even from my own experience, the crap I've dealt with up here in DFW is nothing in comparison. You guys in s.a. seem alot better. Of course, dicks will be dicks. ******* will be *******

So, Im just going to relax, breathe, and enjoy it. Hopefully I can maintain that attitude

Old 12-28-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
No doubt. UTSA does account for a great majority of the population of 78249, 78256, etc. But, don't students only count if their permanent address is in that area? I know when i went to college I never changed my address. That's neither here nor there, though.
I'm sure many do not change their address despite living here for 9 months out of the year. I changed my address so that I can vote locally.

Anyways this thread has become nothing more than off-topic tangents and personal attacks.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Not helpful. Not useful. Not staying open. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio