Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:40 PM

434 posts, read 1,124,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
And stay the hell away from any cash advance place. That'll be the worst mistake you ever make, and your marriage will likely end up in shambles over financial issues. Don't start off like that. One of the BEST weddings I've ever attended was in someone's back yard, bunch of friends, bbq and a stereo system. As long as you have friends/loved ones around, you'll remember it for the rest of your life. The setting doesn't matter. Neither do any of the "upsells" that a lot of wedding places sell you.
I really agree with what Kevin said about a wedding in someone's back yard. Many years ago I attended a wedding that was in the hall at a firehouse and everyone who came brought a dish. It was so nice to have a variety of foods all made by people who were either friends or relatives. Some of the guests brought their instraments and a band was born! A great time was had by all and no big expense to start off the marriage. That was about 30 years ago and the couple are still married!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
5K to get married - and you want to BORROW it?? Might I suggest you wait - or else do it within a budget that you can PAY for? As others have noted, finances are the #1 cause of strain in a marriage. When my wife and I got married 12 years ago, we spent a total of $500 - that included the cake, invitations and all. Yeah, it was tight - but we cooked out at the house, and to be honest, it was not only fun, but it helped set the stage for our married life. It was the 2nd time around for both of us, so finances were tight thanks to her being a widow and myself havin' been through a nasty divorce. Today, we've got 6 months left to pay-off on her car - my truck and Harley are paid for. After that, 3 years to go on the house an' we're debt free. Needless to say, debt is one thing we do NOT argue over!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 PM

161 posts, read 489,414 times
Just my two cents...

My husband and I were married at a relative's home. We wore suits we already had and had a sheet cake, pizza, wings, flowers, and lots of fun--all for less than $100.
Then, we made a budget, saved up and paid expenses together ahead of time for our church wedding, elegant hotel reception and nice honeymoon, less than a year later.
It was nice--no loan, no pressure and no wedding bills.

I agree with the others here. Please don't start off your marriage that way. Have a small party for now and save for the big shin-dig later.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
I really agree with what Kevin said about a wedding in someone's back yard. Many years ago I attended a wedding that was in the hall at a firehouse and everyone who came brought a dish. It was so nice to have a variety of foods all made by people who were either friends or relatives. Some of the guests brought their instraments and a band was born! A great time was had by all and no big expense to start off the marriage. That was about 30 years ago and the couple are still married!
Me too!! But, if you do get a loan.. just borrow enough for the tamales!!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,141 times
to the OP, get a job and get money yourself. Let me tell you something, over half of weddings end up divorced, weddings aren't worth the money in the first place.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 PM

37 posts, read 162,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
And stay the hell away from any cash advance place. That'll be the worst mistake you ever make, and your marriage will likely end up in shambles over financial issues. Don't start off like that. One of the BEST weddings I've ever attended was in someone's back yard, bunch of friends, bbq and a stereo system. As long as you have friends/loved ones around, you'll remember it for the rest of your life. The setting doesn't matter. Neither do any of the "upsells" that a lot of wedding places sell you.

Thats a good idea, and you can all ways go somewhere like Dillards or Macy's and find a nice inexpensive dress! I like this idea a whole lot!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,157 times
Aren't there places that rent bridal and bridesmaid dresses? If that part is even necessary.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:41 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,508 times
GRUMP RESPONSE ALERT!

I don't get why people feel the need to spend any kind of money on what amounts to a large party to feed their friends. If you want to be married, just go to the courthouse and make it official.

There are folks out there who would kill to simply have THAT right.

If you don't have collateral, you're not getting a loan: Simple as that. Building a relationship with your bank is the backbone of getting unsecured money, but in today's economic climate, it's tougher than ever. If you really need this $5k, I'd suggest a title loan (if you own a car).

What I really recommend is SAVING THAT MONEY and putting it into an investment or perhaps towards buying a home for the two of you. $5k may not make you rich, but it is a decent amount of cash money. I know for sure that Suze Orman has my back on this one

BN

Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
I love the idea of the potluck at the firehouse. Maybe you have some good friends that are willing to do a similar thing for you?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,211,052 times
I got married on my in-laws ranch. My dress and my husband's duds came from Sheplers. Reception was at the arena on the ranch. It was nice yet inexpensive. Almost 20 years later we are married just the same as if I would have spent $20K.

Either way, I still have papers on him

Good luck on whatever you decide. Just remember it isn't the wedding that counts, it is the marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio