Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM

61,746 posts, read 87,217,162 times

Advertisements

Do you guys get frustrated when you open a link and cannot figure out when the information was written?
Here I am, checking on Amber Alert, clicking on KSAT.com | San Antonio News, San Antonio, Texas News and Local Headlines | KSAT 12 KSAT news page and don't see any display with a date.

Or lets see SAEN: San Antonio, News | mySA.com where is the date??
Maybe is just me, but but I see it quite often... an article/or site, and no date. Why is so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,589,708 times
No it is not just you, I just did the same thing and thought the same thing. A date is very important maybe someone that can make things happen will see our frustration and make a change!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
No it is not just you, I just did the same thing and thought the same thing. A date is very important maybe someone that can make things happen will see our frustration and make a change!
Yes, yes!! Thank you! I was thinking that maybe was just me! The temperature is displayed SO BIG, but not the date! Awwwwwwwww.....
You need to click on single article to see the date, but sometimes I want just scan the headlines first. DATE IS NEEDED!!!
I wonder what other SA C-D members are thinking about it...

Just made a random check:
http://www.nytimes.com/
http://www.sfgate.com/
http://www.chicagotribune.com/
http://www.chron.com/
every news paper HAS a DATE on a front page

Hope someone from SAEN reads our forum...

Last edited by elnina; 01-03-2010 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM

443 posts, read 955,373 times
Yes, I know what you mean, but it isn't as much of a pain for me because I mainly rely on their RSS feed which does include the date and time stamp. If you don't utilize a reader, I recommend giving it a try. I use Firefox, so I rely on Brief to handle my feeds.

Another pet peeve is more general to all news sites, I'll click over from a link to a story and it'll only reference an area of the town. When I go to the top level of the domain, I can only get a city name. A subsequent search leads me to find there are a number of states with the same named city.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM

I tried the RSS feed and got so many feeds I could not keep up with it.
I like to go to the newspaper webpage and just scan the headlines. If something catch my attention then I click on it and read.
However the date thing should be fixed. Wonder why nobody said anything yet.
I have in my home computer a link to get all the subscribed newspapers headlines. Kinda cute but I forgot about it somehow. I guess I will dig it out now

Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Do you guys get frustrated when you open a link and cannot figure out when the information was written?
Here I am, checking on Amber Alert, clicking on KSAT.com | San Antonio News, San Antonio, Texas News and Local Headlines | KSAT 12 KSAT news page and don't see any display with a date.
I clicked on the current top story at KSAT.com (http://www.ksat.com/news/22121281/detail.html - broken link) and saw:

POSTED: Monday, January 4, 2010
UPDATED: 1:53 pm CST January 4, 2010

Quote:
Or lets see SAEN: San Antonio, News | mySA.com where is the date??
Maybe is just me, but but I see it quite often... an article/or site, and no date. Why is so?
Not seeing this issue with stories at mysa.com either. Current top story (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Officials_hope_clock_photo_leads_to_arrest_of_rapi st.html - broken link) there says "Web Posted: 01/04/2010 3:24 CST"

Each story seems to be dated and time-stamped, but you're correct that there's no date and time on the main pages that just list stories.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
But recall that the recent thread concerning the so-called nation-high crime rate in San Antonio was actually an article from last May (as noted by mpd33)...so I agree with elnina, it is a irritant...

As a matter of fact, if you go to the same article, you will find it has today's date on it!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
But recall that the recent thread concerning the so-called nation-high crime rate in San Antonio was actually an article from last May (as noted by mpd33)...so I agree with elnina, it is a irritant...

As a matter of fact, if you go to the same article, you will find it has today's date on it!
Aha!!! Now you see what I am talking about...
A date on the front page would do. Then a separate date /time for new/updated story. Does it make sense? Why complicate things? It works for paper editions.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
This article from that thread's OP has a date below the title and the page has today's date on it.

Quote:
"Last Update: 5/29/2009 11:38 am," also below the title, but I also see today's date on the upper right side of the page.

There is probably a convention in the AP Stylebook (often the ultimate authority about style choices in newsrooms) that a story should have the date and time posted below the title. There is probably also a similar, marketing-driven convention, imposed by people who want to make news web sites look like they are continuously updated and up-to-the-minute fresh, which is leading them to put the current date and time on every page. I doubt that the latter convention is going to go away, since web sites will always be marketing-driven and wanting to appear fresh to justify their existence, so your best course of action is to get used to looking for story dates UNDER the title.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,802 times
I think when you go to a News website...It is a Homepage. Mening it is current News being presented. Up to the minute.

Other articles that you can click on will have a date posted stamp. So if you see the Temp posted, that ...right now, and the new stories are that days...if you go to archive, thats when you check past stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio