Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 40,864 times

Advertisements

I know this might sound silly, but why kind of pests are in the San Antonio area? Is there a big problem with rats, termites, etc? Are there also a lot of snakes? We're thinking about moving to the area, and I'm petrified of snakes! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ards-halp.html

Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Lots of sssnnaaaakkkeesssss!! Run...run fast and farrrrrrr!!!!!

Just kidding!!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Fire ants are the most common pest around here. They can be controlled though if you keep your yard protected each year. Termites can usually be found in older wooden fences. Bait traps placed around the house are used to detect them before they try to enter your house.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:14 AM

173 posts, read 617,525 times
It all depends on where you live. Downtown area, Monte Vista, etc....will get you rats, skunks, roaches, and an occassional snake. Living further out in Helotes or other outlying areas will get you scorpions and snakes mostly.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 AM

422 posts, read 1,450,823 times
In the past 5 years I've had the following:

2 Black Widows (one i found in my garage, and the other under some rocks in the backyard)
5 Scorpions ( four were within the firstyear of moving into my house, at the time there were no other houses built around me yet. 1 was like 3 months ago, just came out of no where. And these were all in my house. Mind you they all looked like they were a day or two from dieing.)
Sugar ants that the pest control company could never get rid of. So i fired them! And got rid of the ants myself.

I also have a green belt behind me that looks like a jungle right now.
I also used to get cows in my lawn, i take that back. Bulls on my lawn! I was like, WTF!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 AM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
In the past 5 years I've had the following:

2 Black Widows (one i found in my garage, and the other under some rocks in the backyard)
5 Scorpions ( four were within the firstyear of moving into my house, at the time there were no other houses built around me yet. 1 was like 3 months ago, just came out of no where. And these were all in my house. Mind you they all looked like they were a day or two from dieing.)
Sugar ants that the pest control company could never get rid of. So i fired them! And got rid of the ants myself.

I also have a green belt behind me that looks like a jungle right now.
I also used to get cows in my lawn, i take that back. Bulls on my lawn! I was like, WTF!
We have troubles with fire ants, carpenter ants, and those stinking little sugar ants! The first two we've managed to get rid of, but not the sugar ants! What did you use?

Mosquitos are a problem, too. Supposedly, there's some company that will spray stuff in your yard that will keep them away, but I don't know how long it lasts.

We had some problems with rats until a family of possums moved under our storage shed. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any snakes, either. When we had our roof replaced, the roofing company sealed up the entry ways for us, so between that and the possums, the rat problem was solved. The best thing for a rodent problem is to have an exclusion done on your house so all the minute entry paths are sealed off. My mom had it done for about $300 and it got rid of the squirrels and rats that had invaded her attic.

I had a friend that had scorpions in her newly built house. Also they had an invasion of lady bugs and praying mantis! I guess that's what happens when they build houses on newly cleared land. The mantis reallly freaked her out, too, because she didn't know what they were and there were all these little green creatures all over the place one day!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:37 PM

37 posts, read 192,232 times
The only critters we've experienced were scorpions when we lived in the NW side. Since moving more NC, nothing really.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:41 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
Roaches, ants and the occasional possum in the back yard.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
Scorpions when we first moved in since there was a lot of construction still going on. We have a green belt behind us and we've had an opposum and racoon in our backyard...dog also killed a rattlesnake (the only thing that saved the dog was the fact this snake had just eaten--you could see the bulge).

I haven't seen too much of anything else except those skinny about 1-inch long bugs that have pinchers on them...but the cat takes care of those for us. ;-)

Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: