Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
...I hope you got that in writing...
I did actually. It's on my agreement that I signed when the installer came for the initial install.

Like I said, it's only an offer available if you qualify based on credit score. They're likely wanting to keep their 'best customers' happy and for me, that means having the choice to cut the cord after just a year. So far, it's been great, so I'd gladly resign into something longer if they offered it (and if the price magically dropped).

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Rewarding your most credit-worthy customers who subscribe to high-end services by allowing them to cut & run after one year, in favor of hanging on to less credit-worthy customers with lower-end services for a longer term doesn't make much sense to me from a business perspective, but what do I know?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboy1022 View Post
BenN, I ordered DirecTV and having it installed in the next week.

- Do you get MY35 (KMYSH), SD or HD? I have seen yes and no on different lineup cards. Got to have the Spurs!
The NBA website also does not indicate MY35 as being available in HD on DirecTV.
SPURS: Find Spurs Games on TV and Radio

Did you get your DirecTV installed yet? Can you confirm MY35 is actually broadcast in HD? If it is, then it looks like all the websites (including DirecTV's own) are out of date.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM

56 posts, read 115,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The NBA website also does not indicate MY35 as being available in HD on DirecTV.
SPURS: Find Spurs Games on TV and Radio

Did you get your DirecTV installed yet? Can you confirm MY35 is actually broadcast in HD? If it is, then it looks like all the websites (including DirecTV's own) are out of date.

I put my order on hold for now. I found out that the new HR24 DVR boxes will be out soon, most likely in the next 60 days. I wanted to wait and take advantage of all the offers and the free DVRs that I would get, but I want the newest receivers. I don't want to switch over and have something that is immiediately outdated. There has also been some audio dropouts on the olders units that are not supposed to be present in the new ones. I never found out about MY35 though.

I have also toyed with the idea of keeping TWC and getting the new TiVo Premeire that will be out at the end of the month. It is expensive, but it would be worth it if I end up being happy with it. One of the biggest issues I have is the horrible DVRs that they have and lack of mobile programming. I will probably buy one and use it till DirecTV gets the 24s out in the area.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Apologies for the delay. I didn't see your question...

I get My35 in whatever definition the programming warrants: If the show or newscast is HD, that's how it comes across. MY35 has yet to go 100% HD and a lot of their programming says 'HD,' but it's actually SD upconverted (and it looks so-so). AI, Vampire Diaries, Top Model and the major shows are, of course, HD and in Dolby 5.1

NO rain fade for me here in King William. I've never had one instance of weather effecting my dish. I have the new Slimline-3 dish, which I recommend you asking for at the time of install. Audio has been stellar and actually one of the most impressive things about DTV. The spatial quality of the sound (through a surround-sound receiver) is incredible. It's apparent that DTV is allowing more bandwidth throughput for audio than TWC ever did.

I didn't like the user interface at first, but have gotten quite used to it. Not that it's tough to use, but it's just different. Not a big worry really and you'll come to navigate easier than Time Warner in a week or so.

I love DTV's new Multi-Room feature, allowing you to network your receivers with either CAT-5 or a wireless bridge and share programming between rooms. It's really convenient. I recommend going with any of the HR23 line of DVRs. I've got two HR23-700s and love them.

Hope this helps

BN
No problem at all, I actually just saw your response after I just made my last post. After hearing what your experience is, I will definitely switch. TWC has raised my bill again without adding any addtional service and they will never get better. All the other cable companies continue to upgrade their service and invest in better & faster technology. Some will have up to 100mbs download capabilities soon for internet. They are also rolling out new DVRs with remote scheduling, TWC isn't even really looking at it, no surprise. I have been inquiring about it at my local office and telephone customer service, for over a year and a half.

Thanks for your feedback. I will wait for the new receivers though, looking forward to all the video and audio improvements! I noticed some audio dropouts on TWC last night, on FOX and ESPN. Even some pixelation.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Do keep in mind that newer isn't always better... Case-in-point:

If you go here, you'll read that DTV has put out numerous, older receivers that are fan favorites against the newer stuff. Bigger hard drives, more reliable, better ability to hack into the box, etc. I've got two new HR23-700s, which are the newest boxes currently available, allowing me to do everything that the HR24 will do (Multi-room streaming, equal hard drive recording space, remote scheduling), so there's little need for me to wait for something 'bigger and better.'

Do your research. If you can snag the HR23-700 from an installer, instead of something older or less powerful, I'd say pull the trigger now. The deals that DTV are offering have never been better. I see many of the new customer incentives going away when the new HR24 debuts.

BN

Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Do keep in mind that newer isn't always better... Case-in-point:

If you go here, you'll read that DTV has put out numerous, older receivers that are fan favorites against the newer stuff. Bigger hard drives, more reliable, better ability to hack into the box, etc. I've got two new HR23-700s, which are the newest boxes currently available, allowing me to do everything that the HR24 will do (Multi-room streaming, equal hard drive recording space, remote scheduling), so there's little need for me to wait for something 'bigger and better.'

Do your research. If you can snag the HR23-700 from an installer, instead of something older or less powerful, I'd say pull the trigger now. The deals that DTV are offering have never been better. I see many of the new customer incentives going away when the new HR24 debuts.

BN
Thanks, I will check it out. I think I have until early July. Do you find your HR23s slow or lagging? I am sure you have seen the threads that people have complained about such issues. That is one thing that has me on the fence about switching now. I definitely like the MRV and remote scheduling. I have CAT5 at my house, seems like that is the way to go. Who do you use for internet? Can DirecTV and say Roadrunner be present on the same lines?
Thx

Old 03-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboy1022 View Post
Can DirecTV and say Roadrunner be present on the same lines?
Thx
I don't think so. DirecTV requires an RG6 coaxial cable connection from the dish to the back of your receiver. Sometimes people just disconnect the CATV cable from the grounding block outside the house, then connect their satellite dish, utilizing the existing cable that enters the house. There are special splitters available that let you use a single cable for your DirecTV signal and an outdoor TV antenna for OTA broadcast channels. I never tried this method myself, but I've heard it degrades the signal.

Speaking of broadcast channels, there is an off-air tuner available (model AM21) that is compatible with some DirecTV DVRs that would allow you to use a conventional antenna to pick up free local broadcast channels, and pass them through your DVR. The channels will then show up in your on-screen guide, and you can also record programming from them on your DVR.

Some people use these tuners when DirecTV doesn't offer broadcast channels in their market, doesn't offer certain ones, or doesn't offer them in HD. This might be something to consider if it turns out that MY35 is in fact not in HD on DirecTV. DirecTV's website also doesn't show the local CW station, or any of the Spanish-language stations as being offered through them in HD. With the AM21 module and the right antenna, you could get your local channels in HD, regardless of whether or not DirecTV offers them, and record them on your DirecTV DVR.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 PM

MRV is fast. I'm running it on wireless-N bridges and it's snag-free. I can stream a high-def program with Dolby 5.1 with no issues. Love it.

My HR23 is super quick and keeps getting quicker thanks to auto firmware upgrades. I wouldn't worry about the HR23 being slow or lagging. It's top tier.

With CAT5, you'll use MRV with no issue and lightening speed. No worries.

BN

Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
MRV is fast. I'm running it on wireless-N bridges and it's snag-free. I can stream a high-def program with Dolby 5.1 with no issues. Love it.

My HR23 is super quick and keeps getting quicker thanks to auto firmware upgrades. I wouldn't worry about the HR23 being slow or lagging. It's top tier.

With CAT5, you'll use MRV with no issue and lightening speed. No worries.

BN

Thanks for the feedback. I need to get this installed now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio