Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
Where would be a good place to park for this, anyone know? I still get so confused going downtown, and have no idea where to park sometimes and end up missing events.
The Tower of Americas, the Convention Center, River Center Mall, the multi story parking garage at Commerce and Presa and even the Alamo Dome all have lots of parking.

Here's their contact info. You might want to see if they have any shuttle service from other parking areas close to town.

Contact
General Info

Phone: (210) 207-6960
E-mail: info@luminariasa.org
Marketing and Public Relations

Jim Dalglish (Marketing)
jimdalglish@wittemuseum.org
(210) 357-1870

Shannon H. Standley (Public Relations)
shannonstandley@wittemuseum.org
(210) 357-1876
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 PM

103 posts, read 489,768 times
Is it like fiesta in that you have to get there early to get parking? My friends all rave about this event. What's the best time to arrive downtown?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 PM

95 posts, read 206,426 times
Park under the bridge by El Mercado and take the street car. It's the cheapest way to go for event parking.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Here's a link to parking for Luminarias!

Directions and Parking (http://www.luminariasa.org/parking/ - broken link)

Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Did anyone attend Volunteer training yesterday? I will be doing Saturday from 10 am to Noon, passing out flyers to tourists.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:44 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
My complaints are that it was too spread out without enough posted signs with large arrows. I did enjoy what I did see but I missed out on so much because of this. The band I really wanted to see, Hyperbubble, was put on some far off stage that to me was way off the main course.

Next year I hope the layout is more consolidated and that performances are better scheduled in advanced with definite times. Other than that I had a great time and cannot wait for next year.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:10 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,503 times
that was a lot of fun!

areas of improvement:
- i did not think it was TOO spread out, but i had a hard time finding anything or understanding directions. the maps didn't say much and i just had a hard time finding the right information (despite there being a lot of information booths.)
- i wish there was more visual art. that convention center is BIG, i wish more of it was used for gallery space.
- i couldn't see most of the stage performances. a big crowd meant only the few rows up front could get a good view (and only if you're not a shorty like me.) if they could get some taller stages next year that would be great!

good turn out! that was a lot of fun. it was crowded but not unbearable. and though it is after the fact, you could have parked at alamo dome (free) and taken a shuttle (free). hopefully they'll do that again next year too because i sure liked doing that instead of being in traffic for a half hour looking for over priced parking.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:36 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Did anyone watch the S.A. Blue Cats (stage 4 final show 10:45PM)? I heard them on the KENS morning show yesterday and they were outstanding. ALMOST had me wanting to go out there..

Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
My complaints are that it was too spread out without enough posted signs with large arrows. I did enjoy what I did see but I missed out on so much because of this. The band I really wanted to see, Hyperbubble, was put on some far off stage that to me was way off the main course.

Next year I hope the layout is more consolidated and that performances are better scheduled in advanced with definite times. Other than that I had a great time and cannot wait for next year.
heh, my complaint is the opposite - I didn't like it all consolidated into the convention center. It made it seem just like a big art gallery - nice, but not the experience of the first Luminaria. That year, it seemed overwhelming, but in retrospect I preferred it. The event was spread out over a greater area - starting at HemisFair on the south to Broadway/Pecan area on the north. The displays were all outdoors and *everywhere.* You were kind of engulfed by it, you didn't have to go far to see/hear art. It was a bit over the top that year but really amazing. Last year it was ok, but this year it seemed to be really oddly laid out. More consolidated, but harder to find stuff except inside the convention center. The outdoor stages were ok, but it was hard to figure out who was playing where/when because they had run out of schedules very early, and the only listings were right by the stages for that stage only. The staff in the information booths didn't seem to have a lot of information. Also, the food court was a huge problem. While I can see the benefits of keeping the food isolated to one area, it was impossible to get anything in there. In the past two years things were spread out and it was easy to pick up a snack here and there.

I'm glad we have it, it's a great concept, but it's moving away from it's original ideas.

Overall, it kind of felt like a bigger version of First Friday, whereas the first year felt like an explosion of art.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 AM

220 posts, read 681,128 times
Great crowd and performers but I too felt that some of the stages were poorly positioned and were difficult to view. The La Villita area was a mad house with long food lines and tables making access difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio