Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 05:26 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times

Advertisements

I just found out my husband is being transfered to SA. I knew the property tax rate was high but I'm blown away by the 3%. Even if I add up my current state tax and property tax it is still only 2/3's of what it would be in SA. So I need to do some serious budgeting.

1. What are electric bills like? Can some one give me their average bill and the size of their house?

2. Is natural gas used in homes or is it all electric?

3. What about water/sewer bills? I have a well and septic system right now so I have no idea what to expect.

4. Is there much of a difference in property tax rates between counties or outside city limits?

5. Finally, maybe a stupid question - are there any homes with basements or is the water table too high everywhere?

Thanks for the help!
motherofthree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
I'll tell you what I know...

I've not heard of anyone that has basements in this area. There MAY be a few--but the ground is rock so it's hard to dig.

I have a nearly 3,000 square foot 2-story house. My electric bill in the summer has been as high as $280. As low as $80 in the winter.

I have a teenage daughter who likes to shower 3 times a day. Also have a younger son, dog, cat, and...oh yeah...a husband. HAHA! Our water bill has never been more than $45. The summer it might be a bit higher, like around $55-$60 because we keep our yard/plants watered.

Our house is all electric. My husband's parents' house is part electric/part gas. It just depends on where you look I guess.

Here's a link to the tax rates for this area: Tax Rate (http://www.co.bexar.tx.us/links/taxoffice/Tax-About/TAX_-_Property/Tax_Rate/tax_rate.htm - broken link)

Tiffany

Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
Default SA Bills

Utilities: It can often depend on the house [size, vaulted ceilings, etc]. I found that homes with newer windows, newer appliances and good insulation will have dramatically lower bills. A b-i-g factor will be your AC, since you'll be running it non-stop most of the year. Newer ACs will help lower your bill.

Newer homes tend to be all electric. Older homes may have gas, too.

Water: A lot of people don't realize that SAWS charges you almost $40 a month, whether you use that much water or not. I think the minimum gallon charge is 4,000 per month. [I used to travel several months at a time and would be surprised when the water bill never changed.] If you have a big yard, factor that into your bill. Keeping the grass green might be costly.

Living outside the county might lower your tax bill. Just don't get too far out -- you'll be driving back in and spending your savings on gas!

Basements are a rarity. The land is too rocky.

Best of luck to 'ya. By the way, you're right: the property taxes are high. Nobody cared when property was cheap, but now salaries are still low and property taxes are high. It's a crazy situation!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Living in Bexar County, outside San Antonio city limits, is both cheaper/expensive. Property taxes are lower; however, you will have no street lights (unless your area pays for them), pay higher water/sewer bills, pay a lot more for trash pick-up, and you'll more than likely have a volunteer fire department.

Electric rates with City Public Service are low compared to other large cities in Texas. In the county I pay around $45 every month, except when I start watering the lawns and then it shoots up with more water usage. I paid $160 one month two years ago when it was very dry.

If you choose to live out in the "country" then expect to put in your own well and septic tank (I believe that is around $15,000-$20,000 now).

Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Very few homes have basements. My aunt's home in Monte Vista does, but that's because it was built in 1926. I can think of some other homes off the top of my head that have basements in the Monte Vista/Olmos Park/Alamo Heights areas, but they were all built before 1945.

I've always thought that you need to run the numbers carefully if you decide to live outside the city limits. It's true that you don't have to pay city taxes, but it's also true that you have to pay a private company for all those services the city is not providing, and they can charge really outrageous fees since they are private. It can be a false economy.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 PM

554 posts, read 2,307,416 times
As far as bills -

We have 2 people in our 1800 sq ft house. It is about 40 years old. Our electricity bill is usually less than $150 in the winter and can get up to between $250-$300 in the summer. Of course, we just put in a new A/C unit last fall, so hopefully this summer won't be too bad. We also have a pool, so that takes up some energy usage.

Our water bill averages about $50. More in the summer because we have a large yard and lots of plants and we like to keep it green.

Our sewage is build separately and it is between $10 and $20 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio