Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 18,861 times

Advertisements

they moved to Boerne and opened up a restaurant called Papa Dawgs. Very good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 02:12 PM

36 posts, read 173,314 times
where is papa dawgs located...I can not find it through google

Old 01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
As for Barnacle Bills, I was under the impression that it was an offshoot/owned by Bill Miller's?
It is. AFAIK, the company has never provided an explanation for why they shuttered those stores. None of them have re-opened as anything else, either. I wonder if the company is working on another restaurant concept to put into those locations? It seems strange to see those buildings on busy corners sit idle with no lease or sale signs.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
BB's buildings are for rent.. They already rented out the building they had on Walzem road...

Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,646 times
I know the answer barnacle bills was a break off part of bill millers thus the "bill", although it was a break off it was not directly owned by the millers it was owned by their brother in law louis vance. the food was good but was having trouble competing with local food giants such as sea island and due to poor storaging and packing alot of the fish was going bad and causing a capital loss. Fish is not like bbq, it cannnot be stored for more than days in a freezer after it has hit open air the vance's were not aware of this till the loses were out of hand. Pounds and pounds of fish were thrown out everynight, in an attempt to raise customer interest barnacle bills started cooking the past due fish and giving it out for free, this at first worked until a young child be came extremly ill and barnacle bills was sued. To cover it up a settlement was quickly made and barnacle bills was closed overnight

Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM

137 posts, read 283,892 times
Barnacle Bills? What kind of food was it?
I was just in Mobile Alabama (actually dauphin island) and they had a seafood place called barnacle bills. Best seafood ever.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
It was a fast food seafood restaurant chain. kinda like Sea Island, mixed with Long John silver.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Thought i heard of some family Squabbling behind the closure... of Barnicle Bill's ! It was better than Long John Silver and not as good as Sea Island. Pity..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:39 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Thought i heard of some family Squabbling behind the closure... of Barnicle Bill's ! It was better than Long John Silver and not as good as Sea Island. Pity..

The story that I heard...which may or may not be "rural" legend is that the younger generation (believe the grandsons) of the original Mr. Bill Miller were running the Barnacle Bills, and the sons are still running Bill Millers.

There was some sort of riff in how things were being done, very well likely related to the above mentioned bad fish/ getting sued over child being ill info above (I just heard this part from you guys though, so I am assuming it could have a connection). At any rate, the grandsons got tiffed and decided to shut down with no notice to anyone, including as some have mentioned current employees that showed up to a boarded up restaurant.

It's amazing to me that a restaurant being sued over one instance of illness would cause them to shut their doors. It seems more likely there was internal feuding going on with the management of the restaurants.

I am sad they left....I miss their gumbo. I can't get decent (and less expensive) gumbo anywhere in town. People want to do gross things like put bell peppers and onions in it.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM

113 posts, read 446,003 times
I miss Barnicles grilled fish plate and their gumbo.......Yummm! but I heard the same story as above with family squabbling and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio