Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not sure about you guys, but this is not my kind of place to eat, drink or have fun... BTW I think that food there is pretty bad.
Drinks are good, cheap and strong - but that's why the trouble starts
In comparison, I find the I10 and the Bandera Rd (techincaly not ON Bandera) Chachos relatively tame. I also love their food. At the same time I dont say "oh they have great Mexican food", its just their variation and I like it.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,434 times
lol @ that area of town being a ghetto...wow.

lol @ Dopo ...your E. STL comment.

If some people only knew what crime ridden and mass blighted areas were they wouldn't be so quick to call places like the NE side the "ghetto"

Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
If some people only knew what crime ridden and mass blighted areas were they wouldn't be so quick to call places like the NE side the "ghetto"

True that, but don't tell that to people who are used to dining at La Cantera and Stone Oak eateries and that's all they know.

These kind of people are the exact kind I want to avoid anywho.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 05-11-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 04:39 PM

262 posts, read 650,255 times
I live by Madison High School, and I certainly don't think my area is ghetto!

Maybe your neighbors are trashy, but that doesnt' automatically make your area ghetto.

If you want ghetto, why don't you take a stroll down 34th street after dark? Occasionally, I drive a kid or two home after tutoring - and I always drive away with a newfound understanding of exactly why they refuse to walk home alone.

And before anyone starts hating - I work in this area (as the username implies) and I totally understand that the overwhelming majority of families in this area are decent, hardworking people who want nothing but the best for their kids. I also know that there is a significant underbelly to this city that wants nothing more than to bleed every block...

Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideteacher View Post
I live by Madison High School, and I certainly don't think my area is ghetto!

Maybe your neighbors are trashy, but that doesnt' automatically make your area ghetto.

If you want ghetto, why don't you take a stroll down 34th street after dark? Occasionally, I drive a kid or two home after tutoring - and I always drive away with a newfound understanding of exactly why they refuse to walk home alone.

And before anyone starts hating - I work in this area (as the username implies) and I totally understand that the overwhelming majority of families in this area are decent, hardworking people who want nothing but the best for their kids. I also know that there is a significant underbelly to this city that wants nothing more than to bleed every block...
Bravo! Great post.

Thank you for doing a job (teacher) that is very difficult to do...especially in an underprivileged area that needs it. I tire of these people who come on this forum seeking advice on how to "get in" to work as a teacher at the better school districts instead of the underprivileged one's that NEED it more.

We need more teachers like you!!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
It's a simple explanation for Chacho's. People go there after clubbing, and they are already toasted. Chacho's is the after party. Therefore, stupid people doing stupid things.

I did get my car broken into at Midnight Rodeo. The security said it happens a lot in their lot. FYI. Make sure you park under a light in their lot, or close to the front. Apparently the security stinks.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM

134 posts, read 384,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
There are some nice areas in the NE side but not all of it is ghetto. The neighborhoods near Montgomery Elementary School are pretty bad and in the hood. I knew someone that lived in Camelot II back in the 80's it was a great neighborhood. Then in the late 80's and early 90's it started to change for the worse. In 99 her house got broken into real bad. They took some stuff and damaged every room in the house. She finally moved after that to safer area in another side of town.
I grew up in Camelot II and was there from the mid 70s to mid 90s. It was nice back in the day, but the problem actually started in that @#$%hole they call The Glen. Over time the thugs living there spread out into Camelot II. By the time I left, things were going downhill fast. Chacho's isn't in the ghetto, it's just a place for drunks to hang out and cause trouble. If you aren't comfortable where you live you need to move.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
It's a simple explanation for Chacho's. People go there after clubbing, and they are already toasted. Chacho's is the after party. Therefore, stupid people doing stupid things.
I think it's a little more than that. As I said in my post, it is a very unique place, at least for that side of town. I don't know if Chachos caters to it's clientele, or is just stuck with them, but there are a dozen bars/clubs within a mile or so, even across the street, and none of these have the type of patrons you usually see at late night Chachos. You can have a good time there, but I doubt the average CD poster would feel comfortable, most would prob refuse to get out of the car

I remember several years back they started having a "cover charge" of $5 (redeemable for food) or so to enter the restaurant, to help discourage loiterers. I don't know if they still do this, but I remember patrons sneaking in thru the patio to avoid the charge. I believe the patio has been closed since the most recent gun incident.

I don't think the PB Chachos location has any relation to the other, older Chachos, but I could be wrong. Perhaps an adept googler could verifiy this

Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post

I did get my car broken into at Midnight Rodeo. The security said it happens a lot in their lot. FYI. Make sure you park under a light in their lot, or close to the front. Apparently the security stinks.
They've also had problems at Silo(north) and Paesano's off of N.W. Military, so breaking in cars is not exclusive to the NE part of town.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,957 times
I wouldn't say it's 'ghetto' but 'ghetto' people do live there. (And yes, ghetto now has a totally new meaning other than the original one)

For example... housing is affordable so I would totally buy a house out there if it wasn't for the fact that schools are awful. Judson ISD is horrific... discipline problems left and right. Someone said police statistics back this claim up... and I wouldn't doubt it. Someone also said that Katrina refugees have settled around there and haven't gone back... I don't know how valid that claim is.

For affordable housing and relatively safer area, go northwest. Just not too west and not too seaworld.... cuz it gets ghetto again. (what can i say, we're a poor city)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio